So I've been really into play a lot of stuff that is drop tuned down to B lately and have been heavily researching baritone guitars. Thoughts? Also considering looking into 7 string as well, but not huge on the extended range thing, more just interested in the dedicated low hitting idea.
My Rig: Gibson SG Menace
Gibson Les Paul Menace (Heavy Modded Project)
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire
Egnater 15W Tweaker, 112 Cab
I dont understand baritone guitars. What purpose do they really serve why would you want notes that low but without a bass?
I like the idea of using a 7-string over a baritone, but a baritone is an awesome insturment to have in your collection (as is a 7 string) but its up to the player. Iced Earth does some pretty sweet stuff with a baritone.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I like the idea of Baritones cause they are for the most part almost exactly like the familiar 6 string but with a longer scale length. Typical tunings used is B standard and Drop B and other similar tunings. I like the idea of them, you can play in lower tunings without having the stability problems and fret buzz you can commonly find in down tuning a standard guitar. Just my thoughts on it tho. I don't play much lead work and don't find myself needing an extended upper range on the upper end of my low tuning, thus really negating the need for a 7 string.
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Quote by coolkid1095
I dont understand baritone guitars. What purpose do they really serve why would you want notes that low but without a bass?

Even if it's tuned down an octave, a guitar=/= a bass. You can tune the bass down too or play a 5 string.
Honk
Check out the Foo Fighters latest album Wasting Light. Pat Smear uses a baritone to had a depth to the songs especially when he adds distortion. It accents the rhythm guitar while adding depth without muddying the sound. Listen to Arlandria by them. Right in the beginning you have a thick distorted sound, and you can tell. It's pretty cool.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
I will say that I find a 27" scale to be perfect.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Use a Schecter 7-string? They're 26.5" scale, so you get the tighter feel and tone of a baritone without having to stretch as much and you get both that low B and you can keep the high E that you'd lose on a regular 6-string baritone.
I guess I'm currently interested in a particular model that is a 27.7" scale length. Far different than my predominantly 24.75" collection. But as I stated before, not much of a lead player and do minimal soloing (really soar in the rhythm department, also playing predominantly Chevelle with the lower tunings). I guess my train of thought is that I'm already playing in a drop tuning, I have really no need for the extra high E, be like playing a regular guitar that you have to stretch a bit more to play your chords and such... just exploring my options and such, wont be able to do anything about it for about a month and a half tho.
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Baritone guitars are very cool things to have. A seven string is better if you need the versatility of jumping between B and E, or actually need those high notes on the E, but if you just want a new toy for playing in low tunings get a baritone.