So i already know i want to purchase cubase studio 5 to record and a bluebird microphone because i will be doing acoustic stuff but can anyone suggest a decent audio interface for around $300-$400? Im not really sure which one to get or how many input i need but it must have a midi input because i will be getting a midi keyboard in the future but right now i just need suggestions with the audio interface. Any help is appreciated thanks
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
inputs are really what matter here. if you are only using 2 or 3 inputs just get a focusrite saffire 6. i wouldn't worry to much about midi in as most midi can run on USB these days and i have never experienced latency.
well im recording acoustic guitar,vocals, and any other insturements will probably be done on cubase using the midi keyboard so i should only need about 2 inputs then right?
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
2 will work well if you dont plan on doing live drums at all.

For the money you have, I'd say go with a Focusrite. You can get a 2 channel for $200 and maybe put the rest of that money towards a good MIDI keyboard controller or towards some good soft synths or pianos. The Focusrite Saffire 6 has MIDI ports on the back, but most MIDI controllers you buy will be USB.
alright thanks that sounds good but if i would like to record drums in the future in the studio could i still use the 2 inputs or would i need about 8 or so?
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Your best bet then would be to get the 8 channel Focusrite. M Audio and Mackie also have some that are supposed to be good. I'd stay away from Presonus though, I hear a number of users complain about noisy pre's compared to other brands.

I believe any of those are expandable too either by firewire or ADAT so if you need even more inputs for a more thorough drum mic job in the future, you'll be set.

Honestly, even if you didn't plan on drums, if you can afford it I'd recommend getting 8 inputs. You never know when you could need more down the line and it opens up a lot more options.
good point and im hoping for drumsin the future right now we can find a drummer so we just decided to do an unplugged album so ill look into those brands but are the saffire series by focusrite any good? i think one of them may have 8 inputs? and any suggestions for M-auido interfaces?
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by sandyman323
Your best bet then would be to get the 8 channel Focusrite. M Audio and Mackie also have some that are supposed to be good. I'd stay away from Presonus though, I hear a number of users complain about noisy pre's compared to other brands.

I believe any of those are expandable too either by firewire or ADAT so if you need even more inputs for a more thorough drum mic job in the future, you'll be set.

Honestly, even if you didn't plan on drums, if you can afford it I'd recommend getting 8 inputs. You never know when you could need more down the line and it opens up a lot more options.

i echo all of this
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Onyx Blackbird
M Audio Profire 2626 (a little more expensive but is an excellent interface)

They're a little over your budget, but if you can save for them I'm sure you'll be happier in the long run.

All of these are going to be Firewire. I would not get an 8 input USB interface. Firewire handles that many tracks a lot better.

I'm sure there's other good ones out there for not too much money, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.
Last edited by sandyman323 at Jul 23, 2011,
For your price range, you can get a *good* interface with probably up to four inputs.

If you want one with eight inputs, all of a sudden, you are making a significant trade between price and quality. If you want one with eight inputs, keep saving a little more. Look in a price range about double what you have now.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
well i decided to broaden my price range more now and im most likely going to get the focusrite or mackie that sandyman listed they both have great reviews but im going to look into them a little more but the M audio you reccomended is a little to expensive and i think $500 will get me a nice decent quality recording so its most likely between the focusrite and the mackie now thanks for the help guys!
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by guitarguyz61
well i decided to broaden my price range more now and im most likely going to get the focusrite or mackie that sandyman listed they both have great reviews but im going to look into them a little more but the M audio you reccomended is a little to expensive and i think $500 will get me a nice decent quality recording so its most likely between the focusrite and the mackie now thanks for the help guys!

I have to say Axemanchris had an excellent point. More inputs means more flexibility but you're stepping down to entry level quality at 8 inputs versus stepping up to mid level at 2-4 inputs.

I've been shopping around for an 8 channel interface myself and here's what I've found about both of those. They both have excellent preamps for the money, and they're both easily expandable if you want to get more or better pre's later. They both have those "super" channels which is nice. The thing I like about the Focusrite is that it has more outputs. For me that's a big deal as I don't always want to do everything in the box and need more outputs for various reasons. Mackie also doesn't have the best track record with interfaces, however this is supposedly the one that they finally got right and it is supposed to be awesome. Focusrite is almost in the same boat as far as their cheap interfaces go. They're known for ditching and not supporting old versions as soon as the new/better one comes out.

That's just some things to think about. If I had to choose just between the two, I'd get the Focusrite, although I'm very curious about the Mackie and would love to try it out sometime.