I was on guitarcenter website the other day looking for an all black acoustic guitar. I found what i thought was a pretty great looking Ibanez guitar but some of the reviews said that they weren't the best brand. Now, this is my second guitar and i really dont want a crummy one, so could you guys-aka the best guitarist eveeeer-please tell me your opinions on Taylors, Washburns, and of course Ibanez ?

Thanks guys so much-your opinions mean a lot to me !! But Im going to ask a stupid question: What do you mean by Ibanez guitars have poor electronics? Is that for electric guitars only or does it also apply to acoustic guitars?
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
Last edited by millie&mavis at Jul 23, 2011,
you should have played it to see if it was good for you

the ibanez acoustic guitars i find are great for gigging and such because they are strong have what i think are good electronics
the only problem some people might have with them is that some are made of laminate woods
I like Ibanez acoustics, they arent to bad.

Taylors have a very high reputation for sounding and playing nice, but they are relativity expensive, and require a fair amount of upkeep.

I don't know to much about Washburn acoustics, but they make some pretty gig-worthy guitars!

And on a final note, I'd like to say that my favorite acoustic guitar brand is Yamaha. They make excellent affordable acoustics that sound and play very nicely. They aren't Taylors or anything, but you get a very nice guitar for the price that you pay.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
i have what some would call a "low end taylor" (was $1000+ when i got it years ago)
but the sound quality is superb.

that said ive played a steve vai signature ibanez acoustic and it sounded amazing for only $699
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
i have what some would call a "low end taylor" (was $1000+ when i got it years ago)
but the sound quality is superb.

that said ive played a steve vai signature ibanez acoustic and it sounded amazing for only $699

i have has well and consider it the best acoustici have ever played.
interesting. i've never played an ibanez i'd be willing to buy, and i've tried every one i can get my hands on. i'm not that picky, but their quality control is iffy, their tone isn't as nice as seagull, blueridge, eastman or the yamaha FG or L series - heck, they sound more muffled than some (not all) fenders. the ibanez acoustics tend to sound cardboardy to my ear.

btw, i'm unaware of an acoustic steve vai sig model, and ibanez electrics are an entirely different ballgame than their acoustics.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jul 22, 2011,
Thanks so much guys !! And I was considering a Yamaha guitar but i couldn't find black one !!
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
Quote by patticake
interesting. i've never played an ibanez i'd be willing to buy, and i've tried every one i can get my hands on. i'm not that picky, but their quality control is iffy, their tone isn't as nice as seagull, blueridge, eastman or the yamaha FG or L series - heck, they sound more muffled than some (not all) fenders. the ibanez acoustics tend to sound cardboardy to my ear.

btw, i'm unaware of an acoustic steve vai sig model, and ibanez electrics are an entirely different ballgame than their acoustics.

Ibanez Euphoria is the steve vai model
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Love Taylors but they are too bright to me. Martin is my choice for acoustic guitars. My D-28 is my workhorse.
IMO martins are too dark sounding.

taylors have more mids and highs but sound oh so sexing.

both obviously are great instruments.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Taylors are quite amazing. The customer service of the company is also quite reasonable and helpful. But they are pretty pricey. For that money i personally would buy a Martin instead. That's just me though. I did Play one Washburn that I didn't quite like, felt kinda flimsy and sounded cheap and tinny. But then I played more at the store and they did sound nice. But I'd stay away from ibanez personally. They make great electrics, but their acoustics don't have that good of a reputation. Stick with Washburn id say.
I would have to agree with the yamaha acoustics, very good for the price. They seem to be more 'student' like guitars to me though.

All ibanez acoustics I've played have been less than impressive. They sound very dull to me.
Cort are pretty good, not sure if they make black ones though.

I still have an old black Magnum acoustic that served me well while learning. Whatever happened to them?
I think for a black guitar you'd be looking for something cheap and laminated.

The best thing to do would be to just go in and try a few out. You may very well like the ibanez acoustics. I mean, someone must be liking and buying them, otherwise they wouldn't still be around.
Last edited by Casuist at Jul 23, 2011,
I would suggest against ibanez. Every single one I've played has been of poor quality. Electronics are generally very poor as well. Malfunctioning electronics from factory are one of the most common complaints i've heard about them.

Quite frankly, you can do much better.

This is, of course, my own formulated opinion. I'm sure some will disagree with me.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I'm going to have to echo everybody else on here. Taylors are bright and fairly high quality, but tend to be a bit unreasonably expensive. Washburn is a respectable brand that generally gets passed over. Ibanez makes very pretty guitars, but tend to sound poor and have shoddy electronics. I have played a couple that I liked, but they were more the exception than the rule. But I wouldn't rule out a guitar because it wasn't black either (quite the opposite, actually). Have you considered looking at natural or [whatever]burst guitars?
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
I have had an Ibanez AW30ECENT for 3 years, and i have to say, the sound is pretty good. The solid engleman spruce top has opened up really well and sounds too good for an Ibanez. But i guess that if I had a time machine, i would go back in time to change my mind and get a Yamaha fg730s or a silver creek t-160 just because they have more potential.