Over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum, a recent thread came down heavily in favor of the Snark.
I have an Intellitouch, and a little cheapie I got for free with my mandolin.
The "F-Zone" FT-800 actually works better than the more expensive Intellitouch.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
+1

I know professional musicians who use this - if it's good enough for them it's good enough for the rest of us

Any links on professional musicians who solely depend on free iPhone apps as their tuners? I put the Peterson and Planet Waves tuners on my iPhone but either of them are not free. Interested in seeing who is trusting the free ones at their tuner.
Quote by rapster998
Love Peterson Strobe Tuners.

For all of you who use a smartphone or $5 KORG that they bought at Target, dont waste your time. It might just be me and the way i play but anything that is depending on a digital tuner is only picking up 1 frequency in the whole wave.. The reason guitars sound the way they do is because of all the overtones. if those overtone dont match up as well you are going to sound empty and flat ( not in the notational means ) but that you wont have the full body of sound you are looking for.

Strobe tuners are the best for this. They register most over and undertones simultaneously with the root tone. I grew up using and old strobe tuner from the 50's. I used it for 10 years. When if finally died i had to buy a new one. Not the same. I then had to stop being a lazy musician, depending on a machine to tune my instrument for me. Learn how to use harmonics.
Last edited by Ptoqe at Jul 23, 2011,
i like snark tuners. they're very easy to use, reasonably priced, and are more accurate than any of our pile of tuners except for our strobe tuners.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Ptoqe
For all of you who use a smartphone or $5 KORG that they bought at Target, dont waste your time. It might just be me and the way i play but anything that is depending on a digital tuner is only picking up 1 frequency in the whole wave.. The reason guitars sound the way they do is because of all the overtones. if those overtone dont match up as well you are going to sound empty and flat ( not in the notational means ) but that you wont have the full body of sound you are looking for.

Strobe tuners are the best for this. They register most over and undertones simultaneously with the root tone. I grew up using and old strobe tuner from the 50's. I used it for 10 years. When if finally died i had to buy a new one. Not the same. I then had to stop being a lazy musician, depending on a machine to tune my instrument for me. Learn how to use harmonics.

I don't know about this. I use the tuner that came with the Guitar Toolkit app on my iPhone. Hertz are Hertz as far as I'm concerned.
I've never had a problem with this method.
Buying an expensive tuner that can measure 'overtones' sounds a little too purist to me. Kinda like how records are just sooooooo much better than cds.
You may as well go into how much it depends on where you strike the strings, what they are made from, or what you strike them with.

I mean, digital tuners tend to have the needles jump around a bit which can throw out the accuracy if you're not patient enough. I've also found though that it can also depend on the guitar you use. Cheaper guitars seem to have their strings vibrating all over the spectrum.

Given, more expensive tuners may have a better accuracy down to 0.00000000000001 cents or whatever. But no one is going to really know.

I don't know, I would be very happy to eat my own shoes if someone had made a video comparing these different tuners and could prove that there is in fact a substantial difference that can be measured between them.

I think you only need to really worry about overtones and undertones when you're tuning a piano. A lot of people do this by ear though, using a strobe tuner to begin with from around middle C then working their way outwards with their ears.
Last edited by Casuist at Jul 23, 2011,
I personally like the Korg AW-2 and I've actually seen other proffesional guitarists using it. Or at least one, Emil Ernebro the fingerstyle guitarists. And the kid fingerstyle guitarist Sungha Jung on youtube.
Korg. I have two of em, (and a metronome) and well, no complaints.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
I've got about 3 Korg tuners and a Snark. All of them work very well, they all seem to keep my guitar in tune just fine. I usually opt out for the Snark because of the display and the convenience of it.

But honestly, for most situations, any of the long list of clip-on tuners might be your best bet. When you look at price and what they can accomplish, not to mention being able to tune in a noisy room, they are about the best all around. Strobe tuners are amazing, and by far the most accurate, but for most situations, they aren't really necessary.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
I've got an iphone, but I use a Snark because it's cheap and accurate. Plus, the iphone isn't always convenient. You've got to balance it somewhere, and there is always the risk of dropping it. For less than 10 bucks, I think the Snark is a better alternative.
Casuist :
I agree that these tuners work just fine. The thread dosnt ask what works. He's asking for best brands which soon turned into what tech is the best seeming that most tuners as long as they are similar ( i.e. digital / analog/ and strobe ) perform similar. I should have
further explained my pre-occupation with overtones. Everything i play acoustic is done on a 12 string, if one of those tones is off it destroys the chord. digital tuners just dont do it.

I used one of the higher end korgs i bought at a Guitar Center and always ended up having to tune by ear afterwards anyways because they never matched up. Now im down to using a pitch pipe and tuning by ear. Never sounded better.
12 string guitar? Now it makes sense and I know where you're coming from. I guess in that case its more about having the strings work together rather than trying to have them ringing at their spot on frequencies.

I wish I had the skills to tune by ear. I had a music teacher who never used a tuner. Spot on every time he was. He'd sing out the note and tune it to his voice.

The tuner on my iphone serves me well enough. At least for now.
I have 2 peterson strobes now and I swear by them.

I can tune by ear fairly well, but the strobes get it right on the money every time.

They were worth every dollar spent.
I use a Korg CA-40, excellent.

My brother uses a Snark and I like his better, just easier to use and the display is better.

Both are great.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Snark is considered the best value tuner.
Peterson Strobes are held in the highest regard.

That is the general consensus.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour