This has been bugging me for awhile, and even prevented me from learning a couple songs. I have been playing guitar for awhile now and can play most of what I want to, but this chord has come up quite a bit lately and it's bugging me.

Here's what it looks like:

e--2---
B--4---
G--4---
D--4---
A--2---
E--X---

HOW in the world do you play the 4th fret of the B string without muting the e string, while still being sure you have the D and G strings pressed down?

Here's how I have attempted to play it"

e--2--- <-- barred index finger
B--4--- <-- pinky
G--4--- <--ring finger
D--4--- <-- middle finger
A--2--- <-- barred index finger
E--X---

^This method has been my most successful, but it hurts my middle finger and feels unnatural.

It just doesn't seem right. Can anyone help me out?

Is this the way to play it or am I missing something?
2nd fret notes with index finger barre, 4th fret notes with middle finger barre.

Just needs some practice to get the middle finger in the right position.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Um, I dunno if this is the "correct" way but I sorta roll my ring finger so I can hit em all and play the high e with barred index. It took me a while to get used to it but I can do it without thinking now. There may be a better way though. That's just how I do it
Most people are able to use their third finger (or pinky), and bend it backwards to barre those three strings. I myself can't do it but many guitarists can.

http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/images/guitar-chord-charts/guitar-chord-picture-bar-B.jpg

Sorry that's the best picture I could find.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
play just the high e with your index finger and stretch your thumb over the top to fret the A string, is what I do
I play it just the way you described toolfan91. Might just need a little practice? I don't know, play around with different ways and stick with whatever works/feels natural to you. If you can make it work, I think that "using the right fingers" is a little less important. For example, I always hang my thumb over when doing a G chord, not "technically" correct but I make it work so it doesn't really matter.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
2nd fret notes with index finger barre, 4th fret notes with middle finger barre.

Just needs some practice to get the middle finger in the right position.

Middle finger?

Really?

I personally use my ringer to barre the 4th fret, and my index to barre the 2nd fret. It takes some practice and stretching but once you get it, it's easy as pie, I guess.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Sorry, ring finger.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
If you ever want to play more than triads (like m7, maj7,7 etc..), I'd really suggest the fingering you first mentioned. Just keep practicing and you will get it...I promise.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by toolfan91

B--4--- <-- pinky
G--4--- <--ring finger
E--X---

this is the way I was going to tell you to do it. if that stretch hurts, then you really need to do some stretching exercises, because thats an easy easy stretch unless youre on a baritone or something.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
The way you suggested is the supposed way, I've been playing for five years and haven't been able to do it in a normal playing instance without failing, I can only do it when I deliberately stop and put all the effort on the position of the fingers and even use my right hand to put the damn middle finger on the right spot, so for the time being I just say "screw the high e string" and use the ring finger to barre those "4" frets and avoid playing the 1st string.
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
Last edited by Niiko_Xeneize at Jul 22, 2011,
Barre it with your ring finger. If you're not too anal about it, just mute the high e string all together.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Quote by toolfan91

B--4--- <-- pinky
G--4--- <--ring finger
E--X---

That looks fine. It seems like you're just having trouble with the position of your last finger. Try to get into this position, find out which strings are muted, then noodle around until you can ring everything nicely. Keep it there for awhile, change to another chord, then switch back. Keep doing this until you can do it quickly.
I use the ring finger to bar the 4th-fret notes.

This has the advantage of freeing up your pinkie for embellishments (eg, you can throw in a sus4 pretty easily) but the downside is that it will take some practice and flexibility to get it to the point where you play that way and still hear your high-e string clearly.

I think I had a fair bit of experience before I switched from the three-fingers-at-the-4th-fret method, but I just tried that, and wow, it felt clunky and weird.
The way you mentioned is the way I recommend. It's just much better in my opinion, the notes always ring clearly and you can transfrom it to sus4 or other stuff with little effort.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
B--4--- <-- ring finger
G--4--- <--barred middle finger
D--4--- <-- barred middle finger
E--X---

I can't do the clean B4 with a barred middle finger so I either use the above or I use the one posted in the op. Depends on where I am going to.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ