Evening all! The search bar doesn't help on this I'm afraid.

(Long story short:*Do you guys have any advice/helpful experience of a structured and efficient way of becoming a better player? I feel like I have been treading water for the last year or so!)

Recently I have been wanting to improve and concentrate on my guitar/bass playing (of 2 and 6 years respectively), I had a few lessons last year but I'm wanting to get stuck back in-I have lots of free time, im enthusiastic and dedicated and thankfully have cash to spend on lessons. *

The problem is that no one can give me a straight answer as to what I need to be taught in order to become a better player.

I want to learn relevant theory and improve my chops, I like anything bluesy a la Hendrix / SRV etc with maybe some RHCP thrown in. *Sitting down with a new teacher seems to raise more questions than it answers- I seem to be the one having to decide the way to achieve these goals i.e.do I want to do grades or just learn songs.

The problem is that I don't know! I'm told that grades involve some pretty uninteresting tunes while learning songs is pretty much something I can do as it is ( within reason, particularly with the bass).

Do you guys have any advice/helpful experience of a structured and efficient way of becoming a better player? I feel like I have been treading water for the last year or so!*

Thanks
Quote by Marshall46
Evening all! The search bar doesn't help on this I'm afraid.

(Long story short:*Do you guys have any advice/helpful experience of a structured and efficient way of becoming a better player? I feel like I have been treading water for the last year or so!)

Recently I have been wanting to improve and concentrate on my guitar/bass playing (of 2 and 6 years respectively), I had a few lessons last year but I'm wanting to get stuck back in-I have lots of free time, im enthusiastic and dedicated and thankfully have cash to spend on lessons. *

The problem is that no one can give me a straight answer as to what I need to be taught in order to become a better player.

I want to learn relevant theory and improve my chops, I like anything bluesy a la Hendrix / SRV etc with maybe some RHCP thrown in. *Sitting down with a new teacher seems to raise more questions than it answers- I seem to be the one having to decide the way to achieve these goals i.e.do I want to do grades or just learn songs.

The problem is that I don't know! I'm told that grades involve some pretty uninteresting tunes while learning songs is pretty much something I can do as it is ( within reason, particularly with the bass).

Do you guys have any advice/helpful experience of a structured and efficient way of becoming a better player? I feel like I have been treading water for the last year or so!*

Thanks

I teach lessons via Skype. If interested, feel free to pm me. 1st lesson is free.

I can guide you through the concepts and help you tie it in to what you're playing.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 22, 2011,
I recently went through the same thing with lessons. I actually ended up just buying a good instructional series of books/cds and making myself stick to a schedule. I'm recording my practice and listening back for mistakes/areas for work that I missed the first time around.
Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses!

Quote by GuitarMunky
I teach lessons via Skype. If interested, feel free to pm me. 1st lesson is free.

I can guide you through the concepts and help you tie it in to what you're playing.

This sounds tempting, I will be in touch soon after I give it some thought

Quote by katalyzt13
I recently went through the same thing with lessons. I actually ended up just buying a good instructional series of books/cds and making myself stick to a schedule. I'm recording my practice and listening back for mistakes/areas for work that I missed the first time around.

It's most likely that i'll choose a similar route, I can't help but think that only about 10% of what i'm taught in lessons is something I couldn't have read up on. Would you recommend the series that you are using?
IMO, the internet is the way to go. youtube has an endless amount of lessons on there. there are tons of online sites with lessons and even online 1 on 1 lessons are there and imo, might be a better option as you can get lessons from people anywhere in the world as opposed to just in your town. there are also a lot of great books out there.

but i think the best way to learn how the greats play, is to LISTEN and WATCH the greats play. again, the internet is great for this. some people learn better with lessons though and i understand that. but i find the stuff you figure out on your own tends to stick in your mind.
The internet is definately not the way to go if you want questions answered. The internet has many good resources...even great resources...but just as many(or more) bad resources. The best thing you can do is get a GOOD teacher. Your problem with teachers has been because they simply have not been good enough. Had they been they would have been able to help you.
Andy
check out this one guys youtube channel. it is called creativeguitarstudio. he is a freakin wizard of theory. A lot of his stuff can be confusing at first but just keep trying to get it. if you wanna become a better lead player try just jamming over anything and see what sounds good. try going on youtube and playing along to some blues backing tracks. its a start!
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
check out this one guys youtube channel. it is called creativeguitarstudio. he is a freakin wizard of theory. A lot of his stuff can be confusing at first but just keep trying to get it. if you wanna become a better lead player try just jamming over anything and see what sounds good. try going on youtube and playing along to some blues backing tracks. its a start!

+1 for creativeguitarstudio
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
I've seen this guys videos before, seems solid. Forgot about that guy. I think theres a BIG chasm between saying "map" out the fretboard and actually "mapping it out". That's why I find his "teaching" a bit more "do this and do that"-ish.

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
The internet is definately not the way to go if you want questions answered. The internet has many good resources...even great resources...but just as many(or more) bad resources. The best thing you can do is get a GOOD teacher. Your problem with teachers has been because they simply have not been good enough. Had they been they would have been able to help you.
Andy

no offence, but your logic towards the internet can be applied to teachers as well. not a lot of teachers imo are that good. in fact, most that ive met anyways are not good teachers and average players. and not only that, but finding a "good teacher", and not only that, but one in your area, is a lot harder than finding one online or even just finding the "good information" which you said exists.

imo, the best teacher is just watching and listening to your heros. even then i suppose you could argue they may have bad technique or something. but its never win win all the time.