Page 1 of 2
Which post-sabbath guitarists do you think have really changed the face of metal in a big way (and by big I mean what Hendrix did to PsychRock and Blues, or what The Doors did to Rock and Roll).
For me it would be:

What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
I could not agree more with what you posted. Is it weird I can tell that Mustaine is playing the song Washington is Next?

I would add Dave Murray in there with Adrian Smith as he has had an equal impact. Janick is still new but he seems to be one of the primary songwriters now.

George Lynch, Randy Rhoads, and Dimebag should be up there too.
I'd say Randy Rhoads, coming from a non-metalhead.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Jeez yeah, I forgot about Randy.

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Devin Townsend
Ron Jarzombek
Misha Mansoor
Tosin Abasi
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
I came in here to say Adrian Smith and Dave Murray.

Tommi Iommi.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I came in here to say Adrian Smith and Dave Murray.

Tommi Iommi.

I did say Post-Sabbath.

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Quote by Argonaut
I did say Post-Sabbath.

Sorry didn't see it. In that case..

Paul Gilbert and Gary Moore
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Mikael Akerfeldt?

Lolnah.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
What did The Doors do for rock and roll? Proved that songs can have both crappy lyrics and a crappy repeating riff and still be popular?
I don't think galloping and power chords is very inventive. Adrian Smith shouldn't be on there.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by stratman7
What did The Doors do for rock and roll? Proved that songs can have both crappy lyrics and a crappy repeating riff and still be popular?

~Eddie Van Halen. I'm not saying he invented shred(See: Jazz) or metal + shred(See: Uli Jon Roth), but Van Halen I was definitely one of the first big victories as far as commercial success of guitar-heavy, shred/shredesque lead guitar hard rock/lighter metal.
~Speaking of Uli Jon Roth, Uli Jon Roth. He was being Yngwie before Yngwie was being Yngwie, and he was doing it better. Still is, too. He was doing that stuff that every metal lead guitarist does nowadays back in the 70's.
~Speaking of Yngwie, Yngwie. Uli does it better, longer, but, whereas Rising Force has been given multiple guitar-based awards, won Grammies, and got into the billboard top 100, a big feat for a half-instrumental neoclassical shredfest even in the 80's, I can't really think of much success Roth has had since the Scorpions - Yngwie popularized the style, which has been absorbed into a lot of modern metal shredders.
~Tosin Abasi. He's like a cocktail of Andy McKee, Michael Angelo Batio plus taste, and Steve Vai, with a side of Jeff Beck, seasoned with a little Al Di Meola for good measure. The guy is terrifyingly good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 22, 2011,
Quote by Ed Hunter
Misha Mansoor
Tosin Abasi

not sure if serious

i think Chuck, Mantas, and Tom Warrior were incredibly influential to extreme metal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Why is this thread in the Pit?

Luc Lemay and Trey Azagthoth both deserve mentions.

Quote by theogonia777
Tom Warrior [was] incredibly influential to extreme metal.

This too.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Why is this thread in the Pit?

i agree with Trey, though i'd agree with Luc based on the thread title, not so much by the OP. but that's just me.

also, Dimebag was influential on metal, though in my opinion in a very negative way.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Weaponxclaws
That's the earlier music, yes, but after he rejoined the band his writing was better than ever!

Sure, but I just don't consider Iron Maiden to be 'inventive.' I like them and all but still.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by lexanirider78

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

Quote by theogonia777
not sure if serious

i think Chuck, Mantas, and Tom Warrior were incredibly influential to extreme metal.

Is serious.

Quote by titsmcgee852
Quote by Ed Hunter
Is serious.

well then what exactly has either done to "really [change] the face of metal in a big way?"
Quote by theogonia777
well then what exactly has either done to "really [change] the face of metal in a big way?"

Wait, now I'm confused. Are we talking influential, unique, or both?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by theogonia777
not sure if serious

im not sure if misha should be on here (do not get me wrong, i am a HUUUGE periphery fan, but what they do isnt that inventive....but i still love it haha)

but i DO think tosin should be on there. he is ridiculous.
whenever i try to learn anything by AAL it makes me hate guitar, while loving tosin even more.

EDIT: theogonia, have you listened to AAL? im not trying to be a douche, like OBVIOUSLY THERE THE BESTEST, but they really are inventive and unique.

tosin is amazing.
hes probably the only 8 string guitarist (i know of) who actually puts the extra 2 strings to good use.

EDIT: holy shit theogonia i was born ONE DAY before you. thats crazy.
you are the closest person in age on UG to me that ive seen haha
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Jul 22, 2011,
Chuck Schuldiner
Randy Rhoads
EVH
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by trollface5
Kirk Hammet

Why can nobody spell his name right?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by lexanirider78

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

Quote by Ed Hunter
Devin Townsend
Ron Jarzombek
Misha Mansoor
Tosin Abasi

EDIT:
And oh yeah : Chuck Schuldiner and Dimebag Darrell
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd

but i DO think tosin should be on there. he is ridiculous.
whenever i try to learn anything by AAL it makes me hate guitar, while loving tosin even more.

EDIT: holy shit theogonia i was born ONE DAY before you. thats crazy.
you are the closest person in age on UG to me that ive seen haha

yes, i'm very fond of Animals as Leaders, and while i agree that Tosin Abasi is very creative, from the OP i take the thread to be about guitarists who really helped to change metal, which Tosin Abasi really hasn't done. perhaps in the future you could say so, but at this point, you really can't say they have "changed metal."

and i'm aware of that, i made a comment about that a while back.

Quote by necrosis1193
Wait, now I'm confused. Are we talking influential, unique, or both?

the title implies unique, but the OP implies influential, as does TS's picks for the thread, so i'd assume that was his intention.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 22, 2011,
Definitely not enough Frederik Thorendal in here. All of you guys saying Tosin Abasi and Misha Mansoor can thank Thorendal for paving the road and making sure that it lead to Rome, so to speak. Seriously, though, his angular riffage and his alien-sounding and occasionally atonal solos really stand out as unique to me in metal. And he's definitely been really influential in creating the blueprint that so many djent players try to emulate.
Quote by theogonia777

This
Quote by NotFromANUS

and this
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by theogonia777

Added massive amounts of melody to extremely heavy riffs that have odd time signatures and made such music more accessible to a lot of people. Periphery ****ing rule basically.

Quote by titsmcgee852
Glenn Tipton and KK Downing, brought the dual-lead thing and made metal sound more "metallic"

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith, their harmonies

Eddie Van Halen's technique and sound set the tone for the 80s

Randy Rhoads, probably the most accessible neoclassical guitarist there ever was, not only technical but incredibly tasteful pieces

Chuck Schuldiner, the godfather of death metal

The Big 4 guitarists have a forever impact

Whoever the guy from Meshuggah is, laid the prototype for the new djent stuff

Dimebag Darrell, prototype for all modern metalcore
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Not really sure if I'd say they've changed the face of anything, but Tosin Abasi is extremely creative. The dudes from Protest the Hero are as well.
Quote by Ed Hunter
Added massive amounts of melody to extremely heavy riffs that have odd time signatures and made such music more accessible to a lot of people. Periphery ****ing rule basically.

sigh...

Periphery is not that melodic. "massive amounts of melody" is a huge over statement. compare them to any melodeath, power metal, or folk metal bands, and they are not very melodic at all.

as far as extremely heavy riffs, they really aren't "heavy," and before you say anything about how low tuned they are, read these (1, 2, 3)

for odd time signatures, Periphery does not use nearly as many as most people seem to think they do. a lot of their stuff has more syncopated than odd time signatures. stuff Ron Jarzombek does (Spastic Ink, Blotted Science, etc) has a lot of odd time signatures, jazz fusion has a lot of odd time signatures, mathcore and mathrock have a lot of odd time signature. Periphery does have a decent amount, but not as nearly as many as those.

and Periphery ****ing ruling or not is irrelevant.
PTH is way too new to really seem influential. That said, those two guitarists are really impressive and do really neat things with their instruments.
Not enough people mentioning Chuck Schuldiner. That is all.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by due 07

This man does awesome things with his instrument.

It's a shame that I can't get into Converge.
Page 1 of 2