hey guys relly stupid question, can I connect a valve amp hed i.e blackstar series one 100, directly to the p.a? I just brought one, but I dont have a cab right now, so could this work? I'm I ****ing stupid? I have a gig next month, and I wont be getting a cab anytime for at least a year
-Dean Dave mustaine vmnt
-Ibanez Rg550 90'
Jvm410c
IFUCKINLOVEMARTYFRIEDMAN
I don't think that's wise. Is there any way you could borrow a cab, from a friend maybe?
You might want to sell one of your guitars or something. You're going to need a cab.

If you're in the UK, the Framus 212 is very cheap and comes with great speakers.

EDIT: I see you're located in Mexico... you might want to check craigslist or something for a used cab, or buy one online... because you can't run most tube heads without a speaker cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 22, 2011,
Find a cheapass speaker, texas heat or something, and put it in a subwoofer box for car stereos. cheap ass cab to get the job done.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
buy 2 good speakers and build a case yourself? without tolex to start?
it's not difficult at all and it will maybe cost you like 90 euros for each speaker.
Why in the hell would you buy a head (especially a $1700 head) without having the money to buy a cab/already having one?

I guess plugging into the PA speakers could work, as long as they're passive... but it's likely going to sound weird because they are full ranged speakers, not really meant for that application. I'd sell one of your guitars and pick up a cheap 2x12 or something...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You have a 100w head. It outputs, uh, 100w. Then you have a PA, which has inputs designed either for instrument/mic-level signals, or line-level, all of which is around or less than 1w.

It's like trying to fuck a smurf while your dick's the size of a train-engine.

Additionally, you always need a load connected to your amp's output, even if the volume's set to 0. Otherwise you risk frying your output-section. So not only is your gargantuan dick useless, it's also in danger of bursting into flames. Or something like that. I'm stretching the metaphor a bit here.

With "load", usually a speaker cab is meant. There's ways around this (dummy loads), but let's not get carried away... you want a cab, period.

If you want to hook an amp up to the PA, it either needs an emulated out, or a line-out or effects-loop-send that you'd hook up to a DI-box and speaker-simulator before plugging into the PA. You'd still need a load attached to the amp though.

Hooking up PA-speakers to a guitar amp directly will sound like shit in 99% of cases. Speakers are a huge can of worms if you don't know what you're doing, and I recommend you stick with speakers designed for guitar instead of messing with PA-equipment.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 22, 2011,
That amp has an emulated out that you can run direct to a PA, which can actually be used with the amp in standby mode. With the amp in standby, the power amp isn't really doing anything so maybe look into seeing if the emulated out can be used in standby without a cab? I could be wrong about that so definitely find out for sure before you try it. Blowing up a 1700 dollar amp would be a disaster.
Quote by jon.peebles
That amp has an emulated out that you can run direct to a PA, which can actually be used with the amp in standby mode. With the amp in standby, the power amp isn't really doing anything so maybe look into seeing if the emulated out can be used in standby without a cab? I could be wrong about that so definitely find out for sure before you try it. Blowing up a 1700 dollar amp would be a disaster.

Not unless they are designed specificly to do that you need a load connected even to have it in stand by mode.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well in that case, just get a dirt cheap 1x12 somewhere and use it as a dummy load. Keep in in standby and run it direct to the PA from the emulated out.
Quote by TheQuailman
You have a 100w head. It outputs, uh, 100w. Then you have a PA, which has inputs designed either for instrument/mic-level signals, or line-level, all of which is around or less than 1w.

It's like trying to fuck a smurf while your dick's the size of a train-engine.

Additionally, you always need a load connected to your amp's output, even if the volume's set to 0. Otherwise you risk frying your output-section. So not only is your gargantuan dick useless, it's also in danger of bursting into flames. Or something like that. I'm stretching the metaphor a bit here.

With "load", usually a speaker cab is meant. There's ways around this (dummy loads), but let's not get carried away... you want a cab, period.

If you want to hook an amp up to the PA, it either needs an emulated out, or a line-out or effects-loop-send that you'd hook up to a DI-box and speaker-simulator before plugging into the PA. You'd still need a load attached to the amp though.

Hooking up PA-speakers to a guitar amp directly will sound like shit in 99% of cases. Speakers are a huge can of worms if you don't know what you're doing, and I recommend you stick with speakers designed for guitar instead of messing with PA-equipment.

This, 100%, but it still sounds like crap even from the FX out of the amp without some kind of speaker emulation. PA systems are designed to be colorless amplification systems, meaning, they will take that nasty sounding dry preamp signal, and amplify it exactly how it sounds.
Just a reminder, don't switch on a head when it's not connected to a cab or other appropriate load or you'll start blowing stuff.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
You're actually pretty lucky - the HT 100 is one of the few tube heads out there that Will function (i.e. is designed to, and Will Not Break) without a speaker load connencted. Download the manual at http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-100h.html if you want confirmation.

Also, the head features an emulated line-out. You can use it to emulate either a 1x12 speaker cab or a 4x12. So looks like in actual fact you're all set!

EDIT: thought you had the HT-100, not the Series One 100. They both have the emulated line out and are designed so that you can use without a cab if you want though, so you're still ok

EDITEDIT: can't remember how I even found this thread, apologies for the necro-bump
Last edited by Gr!t at Nov 24, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why in the hell would you buy a head (especially a $1700 head) without having the money to buy a cab/already having one?

I was asked the same thing when I bought a cab months before buying a head.

Sometimes, you gotta buy things separately
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90