Hey y'all.

What's the difference between a Mexican Fender Stratocaster, and an American made one ?
Except the price of course.

Thanks!
Mexican Fenders are made in Mexico by Mexicans and American Fenders are made in America by Mexicans.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
American made generally have better quality control as well as better components and hardware. They are also ridiculously over-priced and over-rated. Check out G&L guitars before you get into all this Fender nonsense - G&L is Leo Fender's company after CBS got the Fender name.
American Standard Strats have much better components, from the pickups, the bridge, the woods used, the tuners, and the tone and volume controls. They also seem to have much better necks too, my American Standard has an amazing C shaped neck, while the Mexican ones have much larger, D shaped ones. The USA ones also get set up here in America so they come set up perfectly, and with the best guitar case in the world. There's just a very different feel to an American made strat, the mexican ones always feel cheap to me, the setups aren't that great and they're not as fun to play at all. If you go with a foreign one, change out the pickups, and the bridge, and maybe the tuners if you plan to use the trem alot.
lots of people are going to say this-and-that without actual experience to back it up. i have owned many of both...still have my 96 american. the biggest and most important difference i've found between american and mexican made is the neck. Now, i'm comparing american standard to mexican standard here, no special models: the way the neck and fretboard are finished on the american feels SOOOO much better, and the frets are done much better. also the nut is cut properly. electronics and hardware can be discounted because you can easily change those to your liking. besides that, they say the difference is in the "quality" of the wood. i personally think that doesn't matter unless you have a transparent finish
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Jul 22, 2011,
Modern-style MIA Strats & Tele's have 22 frets while almost all MIM Fenders have 21.

Modern-style MIA Strats have 2-point trems while MIM Strats have the "vintage" 6-point trems.

The quality control has really improved over the last several years on the MIMs, but not long ago you could plan on needing fret work on an MIM so you wouldn't slice your fingers when sliding.

MIA sunburst finishes still look a lot nicer on the MIAs--the MIM & Squier sunbursts look so cheap I'd be embarrassed to be seen with one.

With a little modification you can make a Squier a better-playing guitar than an MIM. Especially if you start with a Standard, instead of an Affinity.

That said, I have an MIA Strat and a Squier Affinity Strat, along with several Ibanezes, a Schecter, and a Mustang, but I end up playing the heavily modded Affinity more than anything else. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1149482&page=1&pp=20

And although quirky-looking, those G&L guitars are great quality even though they still use many of the same classic hand-manufacturing processes that Fender did back in the day.

The American Deluxe Strats are worth the extra money if you can get a deal on one. The locking tuners, pop-in trem, and S-1 stealth switching are awesome if you can afford it. The noiseless pups are OK, but a little weak for my taste. Some even have roller nuts. Just wish they didn't have the silly abalone fret markers, but to each his own...
Quote by jworsh
American Standard Strats have much better components, from the pickups, the bridge, the woods used, the tuners, and the tone and volume controls. They also seem to have much better necks too, my American Standard has an amazing C shaped neck, while the Mexican ones have much larger, D shaped ones. The USA ones also get set up here in America so they come set up perfectly, and with the best guitar case in the world. There's just a very different feel to an American made strat, the mexican ones always feel cheap to me, the setups aren't that great and they're not as fun to play at all. If you go with a foreign one, change out the pickups, and the bridge, and maybe the tuners if you plan to use the trem alot.

You sure about the necks on MiM strats being D shaped? I was pretty sure they were also C shaped.

Neck
Neck Shape: Modern "C" Shape

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0144600306
I put it like this:

The "best" and most expensive Mexican guitars aren't as good as the cheapest MIA models.
Did the test today and came to the conclusion that the most expensive MIM Fenders aren't worth it, while the more affordable MIA models are really worth their price IMO.
I don't say it's a fact, but from a certain price point MIM Fenders aren't worth it to me.

Also, you get what you pay for, think of that.
TS: It depends on the model. When most people say MIM Fender, they're referring to the Fender Standard series, and when they say MIA, they're referring to the American Standard series.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by JesusCrisp
I put it like this:

The "best" and most expensive Mexican guitars aren't as good as the cheapest MIA models.
Did the test today and came to the conclusion that the most expensive MIM Fenders aren't worth it, while the more affordable MIA models are really worth their price IMO.
I don't say it's a fact, but from a certain price point MIM Fenders aren't worth it to me.

Also, you get what you pay for, think of that.

This. You get what you pay for.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

thanks a lot guys for all this information.

So basically, a MIM Strat would need a change of electronics and a good setup.
i'd say i played a lot of fenders and i din't like them,my teacher let me play his american telecaster, i drooled all over the place. the neck felt so smooth and was a little bit rounded, not too thick not too thin, felt perfect oh and th efinish was gorgeous and th eknobs mjumjumjum oh and the sound was dude ... mind blowing thrugh that good old fender bassman.

well you got the picture the MIM feel good aren't bad can be upgraded to good guitars. but the MIA... heavenly pieces of wood and IMO certainly worth their price . look at ibanez when you buy a 1000 euro guitar you get a good guitar with crappy pickups. when you buy a fender MIA what are you going to change about it? other than preferances.
Quote by AEnesidem
i'd say i played a lot of fenders and i din't like them,my teacher let me play his american telecaster, i drooled all over the place. the neck felt so smooth and was a little bit rounded, not too thick not too thin, felt perfect oh and th efinish was gorgeous and th eknobs mjumjumjum oh and the sound was dude ... mind blowing thrugh that good old fender bassman.

well you got the picture the MIM feel good aren't bad can be upgraded to good guitars. but the MIA... heavenly pieces of wood and IMO certainly worth their price . look at ibanez when you buy a 1000 euro guitar you get a good guitar with crappy pickups. when you buy a fender MIA what are you going to change about it? other than preferances.

My main guitar is an american standard strat and everything about it (aside from the original neck and body) is changed except the bridge, input jack and nut. haha
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by AEnesidem

+1
Quote by alans056

a good set up will benifit any guitar. as usual the answers reflect a lot of hearsay and nonsense. MIMs can be excellent guitars however they aren't the kind that you just pick up any one and it will be great. you have to go through a few to find the gems but they are there. yes most people will change the pickups but stock aren't bad if you want a classic strat sound. they won't really get you the sounds used by many of the more current strat players (mayer, frusciente etc) this is often why people bitch about them so much. are US made ones better well yes and they start at twice the price (this excludes the american special however that guitar uses many of the same material found in MIMs). should a $1000 guitar be better than a $500 one, well lets hope so.

not all american made fenders are great and some can be down right meh. granted you are more likely to get a good one on the first try than a MIM.
Quote by alans056

The MIA might need a good setup, too--depends on where you buy it from; if you get an MIM from Sweetwater.com, it'll probably already have a decent setup.

The MIM would need a change of neck to be equal to an MIA. Heck, you can't even play all of Nirvana's "Breed" with 21 frets. Of course, Cobain played all that stuff on MIJ Mustangs, and only played MIM Strats when he was planning on smashing it. Unfortunately, he smashed some vintage Jaguars, too, when he got pissed off at random.

What was Leo thinking in the first place, leaving off that 22nd fret? Guess it's still better than an accoustic. At least they finally fixed in on the modern common American Strats; but don't know why they MIM Strats keep so many of the inferior characteristics of vintage Strats. At least they didn't keep the vintage truss rod on the MIM Standards (pain in the butt removing the pick guard to adjust the truss rod).
I have played a few American Standards, and I was not too impressed. I mean, they were good off the shelf, definitely better than a MiM of the shelf, but I didn't feel like it was an amazing strat.

Then one day I saw a used Highway One at Guitar Center for $500. I picked it up and immediately fell in love. That was one amazing strat, and I regret that I didn't buy it. It felt like it was half the weight of my MiM as well. I haven't touched any other Highway One, so I don't know if they are a different strat or if that one was just really good.
Hey, W4RP1G, didn't you have an RG770 in your collection? My 770 has been in the case since last fall when the action rose up with the change of seasons, and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Oh well, keeps the mileage low...
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by Reisgar42
Mexican Fenders are made in Mexico by Mexicans and American Fenders are made in America by Mexicans.

Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!