I'm building a Les Paul. Yes. I got a good deal on a Warmoth body, and also a neck on eBay. Problemo though, the neck I got is just baaaarrreeeeellllllyyyyyyy too big. I'm talking a veerrryyyy bit too big. The heel is an extremely low fraction of an inch. Should I sand? Please help. I'll post pics soon.

Oops. Got rid of the original post. Adding now that I wanted a Gibson headstock decal that says Gisbon instead of Gibson. Feel like a dumbass now. Sorry!
Last edited by y2k11hmmm? at Jul 22, 2011,
Gisbonguitars.com
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
may i ask why Gisbon?

edit: check the link in my sig, i got a custom 'JM' vinyl/decal made for me by a company i saw on ebay and it got delivered to me the very next day! just can't remember the name of the guy i emailed about it... it'll be in a post on there somewhere.

edit2: wtf you've changed the whole post... but new post answer: if it's only a little big too big, just sand it down. it'll cause no problems.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 22, 2011,
Cos I don't want to have a Gibson name on a non-Gibson guitar but I like the shape of the Gibson name on a Les Paul neck, and since Gisbon has a similar shape and isn't Gibson, I chose that. Wow that was a run-on sentence. Hope it made sense. I changed the first post too, so anyone just looking now, I want a Gibson style headstock decal that says Gisbon.
Turns out that it's also too tall by quite a bit (less than half an inch). Already left negative feedback on eBay. Should have seen that before. I'm just too impulsive. Should I sand the heel down as well?
How about gibbon it's a ape, and it makes it sound less like a chinese knock off, and you can put monkey stickers on it.
Quote by y2k11hmmm?
Turns out that it's also too tall by quite a bit (less than half an inch). Already left negative feedback on eBay. Should have seen that before. I'm just too impulsive. Should I sand the heel down as well?

It sounds like to me that you bought the wrong neck, Did you check to see if the scale length was the same as the body you had bought?
Quote by Kyleisthename
It sounds like to me that you bought the wrong neck, Did you check to see if the scale length was the same as the body you had bought?

The man from eBay listed it wrong, but it will be simple to fix and I don't want to look around more. So I am going to just spend a long time fixing it well. I gave him negative feedback. The scale and everything else will work. And I like the Gibbon idea.
Can you widen the neck pocket in the body instead of sanding the neck? Using a good chisel or router might be an other way to solve the problem.