Hello peoples... I'm currently saving up to get my first guitar/set up and I honestly don't know much about them. There are 3 different things that I'm torn between, and I don't know which one I should be saving for. Theres 2 Value packs, the Fender SE Special Strat with Squier SP-10 Amp Value Pack or the Fender*Affinity Strat HSS and G-DEC Junior Amp Value Pack. Or the other thing I was looking at was a ESP LTD Viper-50 Electric Guitar and a Raven RG20 Guitar Amp Pack to go with it.... Any other ideas or suggestions?
Can you strech your budget any at all? Just asking, because a general rule is guitar value packs are really not a good value. Yes they will give you a guitar and a cheap amp that makes noise, but sound aweful.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would go with the Fender Squier SE Special Strat, but grab a distortion pedal to go with that amp, then in about 6 - 9 months you're gonna want to upgrade your amp. The Squier strat should last you a little longer.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of reviews about value packs sounding terrible. I can always try and save longer, but of course I'm impatient to begin learning.
Well I'd look in to geting a diecent Hardtail guitar you do not need or want a Tremilo bridge on your first guitar, letalone a cheap one at that. If you like the Strat style look into one with a humbucker in the bridge. An Epiphone LP studio or G-400vintage finish would be a much better choice and a small modeling amp Peavey Vyper, Vox VT, Line 6 Spider.

This will sound and play much better than the cheap starter packs, and you can buy new or hit up CL/Pawn shops and get a much better deal.

An accoustic guitar is probably the best to learn on IMO. Then you dont need an amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 22, 2011,
Do not get a Line 6 Spider. Complete crap amps
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
I think I will poke around a few pawn shops and see what I can find. I just have to bring along a friend that can make sure its not a piece of junk or can tell if somethings wrong with it.
Quote by Elysara
I think I will poke around a few pawn shops and see what I can find. I just have to bring along a friend that can make sure its not a piece of junk or can tell if somethings wrong with it.

another good option would be to go to a guitar store with this friend. you may end up paying a little more than market value for a used instrument in a shop, but there is ultimately little chance that you'll get ripped off entirely. also, smaller shops (local or small chain) will often create new deals if you haggle with them a little or just ask "whats the best you can do on this" (usually worth 10-15%).

as far as guitars go, squires tend to be the safest starting point. they're reliable, decent to play and relatively cheap. however, a good sales person can always direct you towards appropriate new and used choices.

for an amp, try to find yourself something like a roland cube or a peavey vypyr (dont get talked into a big one). both sound good and are simple enough to use.
Quote by DamagingExcess
Do not get a Line 6 Spider. Complete crap amps

This . . . Plus Squires are the guitar version of a line 6 spider
Quote by BrianFantana

You're crazy, Squiers are alright guitars and a few Squiers are amazing and shit on alot of guitars in there price range.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by BrianFantana

Squier Classic Vibe are pretty good, basically the only crap Squier I have ever played was an Affinity.
Line 6 isn't the best choice, but it will get the job done for a beginner. Roland Cube and Fender Mustang are better modeling amps though. Not as many features, but infinitely better sound. If you go purely for features on an amp, you're batsh*t insane anyway.

Fender G-DEC is a bit more complicated to use, which as a beginner is a bad thing.

PS. Starterpacks are a decent concept, but usually the actual outcome is horrible. If the guitar is decent, the amp sucks. If the amp is good, the guitar is barely playable.

Some guitar stores will let you put together your own starterpack and add the accesories themselves. This is usually a better idea since you get to pick and choose.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jul 23, 2011,
Packs are fine.. just get a cable separate because the one in the pack will die.

Packs are for beginners who don't want to sink $250+ into stuff they don't know if they'll stick with.

Although I would personally just go for a cheap Epiphone + cable + Roland MicroCube + tuner over a pack. But the packs are fine for what they are - a relatively cheap way to find out if the instrument is for you.

If you're ok with going acoustic to start with, the Fender beginners' acoustic pack is pretty solid. Comes with a solid wood top, which is rare on guitars in that price range. The Epiphone pack is acoustic/electric. Both are $200.

Personally.. look for a cheap or used Epiphone Les Paul + cable + tuner + Roland MicroCube. You can probably get that stuff for $250.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by BrianFantana

Squiers aren't the same guitars they were even 2 or 3 years ago. QC is much better. I've played with several from Bullets to Classic Vibes and the only thing bad I've noticed is the pickups are a little lifeless on the Bullets, Affinities and SE's, but a new player isn't going to care so much about that for a while.
Quote by Elysara

If your friend doesn't mind bumming around town a bit, see what you can dig up on craigslist. Also, the Vox VT-15 is a solid choice for a first amp. It's versatile and not too stupidly expensive. If you're looking for a good budget guitar, check out some of the stuff on Rondomusic.com. The drawback is you can't play before you buy, but for the price range Rondo sells some solid gear. The Agile AL and AD series all play great.

It's really important not to cheap out early on - I know way to many people who have got crap gear and decided not to stick with guitar because nothing they played sounded good.
I hear my train a comin'.
---------------------------------
Fender MIM Stratocaster + Fender 57/62 single coils
Agile AD-2300
Fender Blues Junior + MXR Custom '78 distortion
Quote by krehzeekid
another good option would be to go to a guitar store with this friend. you may end up paying a little more than market value for a used instrument in a shop, but there is ultimately little chance that you'll get ripped off entirely. also, smaller shops (local or small chain) will often create new deals if you haggle with them a little or just ask "whats the best you can do on this" (usually worth 10-15%).

as far as guitars go, squires tend to be the safest starting point. they're reliable, decent to play and relatively cheap. however, a good sales person can always direct you towards appropriate new and used choices.

for an amp, try to find yourself something like a roland cube or a peavey vypyr (dont get talked into a big one). both sound good and are simple enough to use.

True that. If you can find the same guitar cheaper online, most shops will usually match the price too. My buddy got 150 knocked of an Epiphone Wildkat that way.
I hear my train a comin'.
---------------------------------
Fender MIM Stratocaster + Fender 57/62 single coils
Agile AD-2300
Fender Blues Junior + MXR Custom '78 distortion