ok so im trying to practice composition and along the way record the stuff ive composed when any of you write music do you just write whatever comes to mind or things that you know you can really play on ur own its starting to feel like a waist of time writing these licks i cant even play myself and having to sit and learn things that i dont usually ever play but somehow ive come up with and sometimes when it gets too technical it could take longer than a day lol
Write, then put it in tux guitar. Then you can practice it in real time, or slow it down to where you can practice it.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
A lot of bands haven't learnt the song properly even once it's recorded. After the album is released they have to sit and learn to play the song from start to finish before they can tour it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I do that stuff too. But I learn that I actually can play it but not at the time it was written. For example, I write a really fast solo or riff and only play that section and be successful at it. But when combining and playing all the parts consecutively I mess up. Doesn't mean I can't play it, just haven't gotten used to playing all parts due to memory.
Yeah I do this alot, it is usally intentional though because it gives me something to work towards.
All the time! I've got an 8 finger tapping piece now which is going to be a great source of technical practice for me, and at the same time I've been able to approach composition from a completely different perspective.
The same can also apply for writing idiomatically for other instruments - I can't play brass or woodwind instruments, but there's great practice to be had and experience to be gained through composing for instruments other than your main(s). Plus, it can be a lot of fun to both transcribe for, and play those lines on guitar, since the tuning systems and overall builds of each instrument will lend themselves to new, unorthodox and unconventional ideas for others.
Most of my music comes from sitting with my guitar and improvising, so I can play most of it. I'll occasionally hear something in my head that I can't play and throw it into guitar pro.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I've written things for other instruments that I can't actually play via sequencer/daw.
For guitar though..... I can play that, so I come up with guitar parts on the guitar... by playing and listening. I could imagine a really complicated and/or fast guitar part that would be difficult or impossible for me to play, but I generally don't bother doing that. I'd rather work it through on the instrument.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 22, 2011,
thanks u guys really changed my way of thinking i really can use this as a way to better my playing ive been using the guitar pro method all along to thx for the reassurance
Someone said that Protest The Hero did that in order to remember their parts.

Writing things up in guitar pro or on paper is a good way to remember things. IE the paper does it for you :p It's what I do with long sequences and then just come back when I need them.
UG's New Zealand Resident!
I can say from experience that I use Guitar Pro as not only a compositional tool, but a technical tool. My compositions usually involve some method which doesn't require me to pick up my instrument (ie, music theory, applied mathematics etc) which gives me a goal to strive towards for my technical playing. That said, it isn't done to an extreme extent. Don't write a 7 string F7#11 sweep, 16th note triplets at 240bpm if you can't even sweep to begin with. Make little goals in your compositions which are things for you to tackle from a technical aspect (While still having the musicality of course). If you continue this mindset, each composition should show a little development/experimentation, giving you a large body of work to record/perform with enough variation to keep your listeners in focus. I have some compositions up here you can look at (GP5/4, look in my profile as you'll have trouble finding it in T & C if you decide to look) if your curiosity exceeds this post.

Hope that helps.