So I read a lot of reviews. I know you have to take reviews with a grain of salt. One person will rate it a 10 out of 10. Another person will rate the same guitar a 1 out of 10.

However, other then on this site... All reviews I read consumers rate the classic vibe squires far superior to the MIM standards. What is with this site.. Why is everyone on this site so off base?

What in your mind makes the MIM superior to the Squires other then the name on the headstock??
to my hands and ears, the MIM's are better because they are made of better materials, feature better hardware, have better electronics and are better assembled (they seem to be more consistent than MIA). the classic vibes are good, but MIM's are simply better. they play far better and they sound fuller and sustain much better. play a couple of each and you'll see the trend quite clearly (I was floored by the difference).

I think the reason that the reviews are such a mash is because you are rating relative to expectation and prior instruments, with player experience and preference being an unavoidable contributor. the squires do seem to be rated too high, if you're comparing them to MIM, MIA or other brands, but they are about right if you compare them to an affinity strat. the mim's meanwhile, if you factor out straight 10's and complete bash-fests, seem to be about on par with where a mid-range guitar should be. plus, you're talking about people who put down money on a guitar. you probably won't call it mediocre if you put money on it.

in short, the "off-base" nature of the reviews is due to a variety of factors, and as you said, should be taken with a grain of salt. go play a selection of each side by side and make the choice for yourself.
Quote by krehzeekid
to my hands and ears, the MIM's are better because they are made of better materials, feature better hardware, have better electronics and are better assembled (they seem to be more consistent than MIA). the classic vibes are good, but MIM's are simply better. they play far better and they sound fuller and sustain much better. play a couple of each and you'll see the trend quite clearly (I was floored by the difference).

I think the reason that the reviews are such a mash is because you are rating relative to expectation and prior instruments, with player experience and preference being an unavoidable contributor. the squires do seem to be rated too high, if you're comparing them to MIM, MIA or other brands, but they are about right if you compare them to an affinity strat. the mim's meanwhile, if you factor out straight 10's and complete bash-fests, seem to be about on par with where a mid-range guitar should be. plus, you're talking about people who put down money on a guitar. you probably won't call it mediocre if you put money on it.

in short, the "off-base" nature of the reviews is due to a variety of factors, and as you said, should be taken with a grain of salt. go play a selection of each side by side and make the choice for yourself.

This
Quote by ethan_hanus
The CV Squiers are better than the MIM build wise, but the electronics are lacking, like with all Squiers, and the hardware is not the greatest, but the neck and body are built to a better standard than most MIM Fenders.

I can't agree with that statement. I'm sure there are a few bad eggs out as far a MiM build quality is concern, but I think one thing that really sets the CV apart from a MiM is the pickups. It just sounds better right off the line. I don't know if the CV had better tuners than the MiM, but if it does, then that would be a huge advantage as well.
here's a crazy idea why don'tyou actually go and play a few of each and then you to can have an opinion of your very own. why make this kind of thread when it would appear that all you have done is read a bunch of reviews
Quote by W4RP1G
I can't agree with that statement. I'm sure there are a few bad eggs out as far a MiM build quality is concern, but I think one thing that really sets the CV apart from a MiM is the pickups. It just sounds better right off the line. I don't know if the CV had better tuners than the MiM, but if it does, then that would be a huge advantage as well.

Greg or whoever it was, was going off on how the CV Squier necks were so much better, or cost more than the MIM Fender and even MIA Fender necks. The CV Squier necks are excellent.

I've never picked up a Squier that had decent pickups, never, but that's just me.
Quote by monwobobbo
here's a crazy idea why don'tyou actually go and play a few of each and then you to can have an opinion of your very own. why make this kind of thread when it would appear that all you have done is read a bunch of reviews

Here is a crazy idea... I have. And I personally feel that CV are superior. Hence the reason In my original post I eluded that I agree with all the consumers as opposed to the fanboys on UG. However, I do not claim to be a Know it all. Maybe someone has some insite I never considered. It is most likely no one on this site is gonna change my opinion. But I do always appriciate someone elses opinion or point of view. And this site seems loaded with fanboys and metal heads, so I was just curious as why everyone feels MIM are so much better.

Frankly IF I were a professional or stinkin rich I wouldnt have a problem dropping 1200 plus on a MIA guitar. But fact is I am nothing more then a hobbiest, and it doesnt make sense to me to spend the extra 150 on an inferior product simply because it says fender on it. But both guitars are made of alder, I am sure the hardware isnt any superior on the MIM then the CV, so that leaves us at PUPS.

And I had every intention of replacing the tuners, nut and pick ups whether I bought a MIM or a CV so it makes even less sense to go with a MIM. I have actually seriously considered a Players Deluxe (I know MIM) because of the push button to change pUP configurations. But there are none of those around in my shitty town and I do not Know a single person who has ever played one, so I am not convinced one is worth buying sight unseen
Last edited by jsspang at Jul 23, 2011,
its really hit or miss. some have the quality on par with americans, some.....dont. but regardless, u will at least get what u would expect from a guitar in that price if not better.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Because they can put better timbers/build quality into the CV because anyone who's not like "OmGz, it sayz gibsan on the hedstok! must be good1!" can appreciate it regardless of brand name.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by ethan_hanus
Greg or whoever it was, was going off on how the CV Squier necks were so much better, or cost more than the MIM Fender and even MIA Fender necks. The CV Squier necks are excellent.

I've never picked up a Squier that had decent pickups, never, but that's just me.

Well, I'm not saying the CV has awesome pickups, but alnico poles vs a ceramic bar magnet on a single coil is a huge difference in tone. I think the CV pickups are good enough for someone that just wants a cheap strat or tele and doesn't want to upgrade the pickups. The MiM pickups are pretty much throw aways that I can't imagine not upgrading.

I would like to know in what ways the neck on the CV is better. It's one thing to say it has a better finish, or better fretwork, are a different(better?) profile, but it's another to say the wood and cuts are better.

I'm not saying the CV is bad, especially not for the price, but this reminds me of the Agile fanboys that claim Agiles are just as good as real Gibsons.
Quote by jsspang
I personally feel that CV are superior.

it would come down to a side by side comparison of two specific guitars for me but generally speaking i agree.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.