I'm going to college in late August, and I want to buy a new acoustic before going away. Short notice, I know.

My pricerange is a very flexible $700.

I want:
-new
-acoustic/electric
-cutaway
-dreadnaught
-probably spruce top
-not sure about back and sides. Probably mahogany or rosewood. Tonal differences between these two?

I live near Boston, if that matters. The Blueridge BR-160CE (http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/blueridge_br_160ce/35915/53473) looks like what I want, but I also came across the Crafter DE-8/N (http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/round-up-4-affordable-cutaway-dreadnought-acoustic-guitars-236844/3) and that made me rethink my decision. The big differences there are the Englemann spruce (Crafter) vs. sitka, mahogany back and sides (crafter) vs. rosewood, and "M-bracing" (Crafter) vs. forward X parabolic. There also seems to be a discrepancy among various sources for the price on said Blueridge, not to mention the fact that hardly anywhere sells them. There aren't many guitars at my pricepoint on MF/GC and the like except for the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE and Taylor 110CE. Not sure how I feel about either of those.

Sorry for writing an essay. All opinions would be greatly appreciated, and by all means give me suggestions for other guitars I might not have discovered.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
i've never found a crafter to try in my area, even used, which is surprising since we have a LOT of guitar stores in hollywood/los angeles. what i can tell you is that blueridges sound very good if you like a martin-y tone. they tend to sound a bit richer than other guitars in their price range. if you can find a br-140ce (they seem to be getting scarce), it's the mahogany version of the 160ce.

again, i have not played a crafter. that being said, while i often like englemann, there's a reason sitka is used for SO many guitars. it can sound quite good. i love the tone of my blueridge br-341 above almost any guitar i've played, and it has a sitka top.

mahogany tends to have a cleaner, more fundamental sound, while rosewood has a darker sound with more overtones. but keep in mind that this is a generalization - a builder can make a dark sounding mahogany, and i once played a tinny all solid rosewood guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Patticake, thanks a ton for the timely and in-depth response. I hadn't considered the BR-140, I must have overlooked it because Maury's doesn't even have the CE version of it. There is one store in my area that said they'd order in a Blueridge if I wanted to try before buying, I'm just hoping they can give me the same price as Maury's. Maury's actually is out of stock and with an unknown ETA for the 160CE. I called another store to see if they had the BR-160CE in stock, and they only had the 160 (not CE) and in black, which isn't ok with me. The guy was really trying to sell me on the Crafters, saying he thought they were better than Blueridge for the money and all that, but it was clear that he was trying to hustle. I know nothing about Englemann spruce, but your explanation makes sense.

At this point, I'll either get the store nearby to order in the BR-160CE if they can give me a good price, or I'll go to the other place to try out the black model and wait for Maury to restock so I can order it from there.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
There aren't many guitars at my pricepoint on MF/GC and the like except for the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE

I just bought a Masterbilt DR-500MCE in vintage sunburst about 2 months ago. Change the original strings and sand down the saddle (action comes way too high) and it'll sound and play great!
You live in Boston? Go to the music emporium in Lexington. I bought my blueridge guitar there. I have tried both the spruce top + mahogany and spruce top + rosewood and there is a difference. They also have a ton of other guitars you can check out.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143