I've had my BKP Painkiller for a little over a year and a half now, and I love the thing, best pickup I've ever owned, but I've noticed(don't know if it's just my amp) that the pickup tends to sound the best in any drop tuning and sounds meh in E standard. It doesn't have that low end growl in E standard. I can get a nice rock tone in E standard, but nothing metal, although the cleans are the best in E standard... The best tuning I've found for this pickup by far is Drop C, gives it a nice bite.

Am I just weird/ have a crappy amp, or has anyone else experienced this with the Painkiller or any other pickup?

BTW, amp is a Valveking 112 Custom with a WGS V-30, using a Ibanez TS9 boost, don't tell me to get a new amp.
Yeah man, that pickup is built for djent, as it says on their website. Djent is usually played on extended range guitars, so you get that nice low end... bow, and purr when you want to hit power chords. The pickup also great for huge chords as every note defines itself pretty damn well. So yeah, if you're using them on a six, I reckon you should grab some nice thick strings and tune down to drop A# or similar, so you can utilize how awesome that pickup sounds for low stuff.
yea man that pup is designed for downtuned djent. if you want to hear the full power of it tune to A# like he said, low tunings between a and b is where that pup set shines
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Funny... It's called the Painkiller and Tim names his pickups after songs that embody the sound of the pickup. Seems like it would do well in Eb and E standard for say... Judas Priest stuff
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by AcousticMirror
are you using the same set up and strings in E as you are in D?

Yeah, right now I have D'Addirio EXP .011-.049 Jazz set on in Drop C, but when I flip from E to C I normally use D'Addirio EXP light strings.

To me the pickup starts to loose clarity and punch if you go past Drop B, even if you raise it. Might just need a better guitar than my worn out old Squier.
A pickup gets fatter when you raise it, it doesn't add clarity.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Don't tell the Sneap forum this, they will tell you that your ears are broken and to just get EMGs

Seriously though, I can definitely see that pickup sounding best drop tuned, it's made to handle the lower notes better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
from the description on the BKP site, it seems to me that tunign down would just bring out more of the good characteristics of the pickup. it handles the low end well while retaining clarity, so when you tune down you're giving it more low end to retain with clarity hahaha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
from the description on the BKP site, it seems to me that tunign down would just bring out more of the good characteristics of the pickup. it handles the low end well while retaining clarity, so when you tune down you're giving it more low end to retain with clarity hahaha

I like this description the best.