I'm looking into buying a tube head.

Heres all the basic information:

Budget - 400 us dollars MAX
(I have a military friend who lives in
the uk so if theres any cool possibilities
there, let me know)

Genre - I'm looking into doing some progressive rock/metal. Some artists in that vain would be rush, coheed and cambria, and dream theater. Cleans are important to me, VERY important. It needs to have 2 channels at least and an Effects loop is a must.

used or new- I don't mind if its new but I just want to look at new item for starters, then if I find something I like, I could look for it used.

Home or gigs- It needs to be able to gig. I'm not concerned about home use. I have other amps for that. The cleans NEED to NOT break up at high volumes as most of the time my amp will not be mic'd.

My closest city would be raleigh, North carolina

Currently for guitar I have a prs 900, and a washburn wi-64 both very meaty, and thick sounding guitars, I also have a boss me 25, that I'll be using in the effects loop for modulation and such. My cabinet isn't the best, its an Ibanez Toneblaster 212. The cab itself is solid I just plan on swapping out the speakers once i get the amp head situation covered.

thanks for any help you can offer!
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
Mother Of God That Is Beautiful.

it doesn't sound very beautiful =\ Everything I've heard on youtube has been awful as far as the high gain goes...
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

Last edited by fatslash at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by fatslash

it doesn't sound very beautiful =\ Everything I've heard on youtube has been awful as far as the high gain goes...

Probably recorded with crappy camera mics. I know a guy with one of these, beautiful sound, especially for proggish metal stuff.
A peavey windsor would be far from amazing for me. Its a one channel amp, I need a minimum of two. Humbuckers to clean up that well on them either. I'll just keep searching for demo's of the traynor... Thanks for the quick replies!
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

Quote by fatslash

do you have any idea how hard it will be to find an amp with great high gain and clean sounds? all while having enough headroom for the cleans not to breakup and all for $400? I was going to suggest a Mark IV when I seen the title but...I honestly have no idea now
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
What about a used Peavey XXX or Ultra head? I've seen them within your budget at times.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I used to have the Traynor, and had I not gotten any of the amps I have now,, I'd still have it and be happy with how it sounded. It does metal very well, and the cleans are great. The second channel sounds great too and goes from light gain to modded 800 tones. I didn't use an overdrive pedal with it even, but if you do I imagine it would only make it that much better.

Edit: I recorded this In Flames cover with it before I sold it. It's all the traynor
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/rokket2005/music/all/play825220
Last edited by rokket2005 at Jul 23, 2011,