Alright so I recently found an adapter to plug in my auxilary cable from my electric guitar amp straight into my computer through a line in. Now when I do this, sound doesn't come out from neither my amp's speakers or my computer speakers but records the sound directly. Well heres my setup (please excuse my Microsoft Paint skillz):

If you are able to understand that, hopefully it would help out a little. Anyways, what I'm asking is if I record a bass under these circumstances, meaning it would be recorded through my electric guitar amp, would it damage my amp in any way?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
if you play your bass through your Guitar amp, you will end up killing your amp.
you can play guitar through a bass amp though, its all to do with frequencies that i cant explain very well, just trust me

and try just running from your pedal into the computer, ive done it tons of times.
Quote by A6stringrythm
if you play your bass through your Guitar amp, you will end up killing your amp.

That's not true, unless it's an incredibly crappy amp. I play basses through guitar amps all the time, and I don't even burn out tubes fast, let alone kill amps.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
That's not true, unless it's an incredibly crappy amp. I play basses through guitar amps all the time, and I don't even burn out tubes fast, let alone kill amps.

It does over time ruin your speakers
Quote by Martindecorum
It does over time ruin your speakers

Exhibit A: a 1966 Fender Twin Reverb, used since 1972 as a bass amp. It's been retubed five times in that period, and it's sounding like it'll need new tubes again pretty soon, but the speakers sound beautiful now, whether with guitar or bass. The speakers are rated for something like 60Hz-15kHz and the amp's filtering cuts everything below ~70Hz. Yes, that cuts the fundamentals of the bass's lowest notes, but that's not very noticeable. Point is, any amp is going to soften any frequency low enough to damage guitar speakers. If it didn't, if you used guitar speakers with a bass amp, you'd have a problem. As it is, recording bass through a guitar amp is not going to cause any problems, barring manufacturing faults.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
From what I understand from your diagram, connecting the amp to your computer that way is going to result in horrible recordings. Also, using a bass through a guitar amp is going to destroy your speakers. Not advisable.
Note: I don't care about that secondary amp that I use to hear what I'm playing.

I'm just more concerned about the (bigger) amp that I use which enables me to record directly into my computer. Since the speakers on that amp get muted when I plug it into the headphone/line out jack, would playing the bass through that way damage my amp?

I ask this cause I already know playing a bass through an electric guitar amp is bad, but I thought that was just because the speakers wouldn't be able to handle a bass guitar's frequencies. Since I'm not using the speakers it should damage my amp right?

EDIT: Also, these are my first experiments with recording and right now I just want to get a feel for recording software. I'll get into the hardware later when I've cemented my knowledge and experience with the software and how to track stuff to make it sound good.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Last edited by EncoreBlade at Jul 23, 2011,
Bass is one instrument you can record DI very well, and without much extra gear. If you have an interface you can try just plugging bass directly into the input.

I have a tube preamp that is supposed to be for vocals, but I track bass through it, too. I just plug the bass into it and then into my interface (as a DI box) and actually monitor through my stereo!

A bass is going to kill whatever comes first in the chain. Assuming the preamp is not insanely loud and/or the stereo (aka my poor-ass all I can afford monitor system) is not insanely loud then it should work great. The most vulnerable thing is my tube.

People have told me not to do that, and I even told the guy at Guitar Center there's a reason he works at f'ing Guitar Center (as opposed to having a REAL JOB) because he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

I've been doing that for years with no problems.

Have I blown speakers? Yes, but not that way!

And speakers wear out eventually anyway, so I don't believe speakers pooping out after ten years of daily, hard use has anything to do with my recording/mixing practices. Things wear out. Then you chuck them!

Can you use a guitar amp as a monitor for a bass signal: YES!!!

And safely.

You just have to throw a "canary into the coal mine" so to speak. Put something in the chain like my tube preamp that will die if the signal gets too powerful. Then it will go, "POOP!" and you'll have a dead tube and a perfectly working guitar amp.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by AeolianSeventh
That's not true, unless it's an incredibly crappy amp..

Presumably.. most (if not all) of them?

Quote by AeolianSeventh

I play basses through guitar amps all the time, and I don't even burn out tubes fast, let alone kill amps.

Must be a sensative experience. Can you elaborate on "burning out the tubes"?