So the other guitarist in my band is going to put together a small rack unit for his amp.

him (and i) both have a few questions about rackmount gear though,

Hes thinking of making his rack consist of:
Furman power conditioner
BBE sonic maximizer
Korg/berhinger rackmount tuner
a 2U drawer for cables

but he also currently has an ibanez ts9 being used as a boost and a boss ns-2 as a noisegate. how can he incorperate the pedals into the rack since theyre always on?
were thinking a sperate self/ drawer for pedals, but we have no idea how many Units it has to be.

If its 2U for the pedals, would it be sensible to multipurpose the 2u drawer into the home of the pedals and storage for cables?

and how would we secure the pedals down so they dont fly around on their self/drawer during transport?
You would have to use a midi switching system to control the pedals in the rack. But for only 2 pedals, it's a waste of time and money. For 2 pedals, make a teeny pedal board to store in the 2U drawer, or get a 2 drawer unit.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like you are making anything easier with this setup. You already have 5 units you want to put in there, and a 5U/6U rack box is anything but small, and the units you want to put in there don't really seem to give enough advantages to outweight lugging a 6U everywhere, unless you plan on stuffing the amp head in the rack as well. All those units have equal or better alternatives in pedal form (and a floor unit for the Furman), and you may be better off just running a pedal board.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
well theres no switching needed, which is why this is even being considered. yea MiDi switching is way to complticated and expensive for this, but if thyere always on Im just trying to find out how to keep them in the rack case safely
Quote by Seanthesheep
well theres no switching needed, which is why this is even being considered. yea MiDi switching is way to complticated and expensive for this, but if thyere always on Im just trying to find out how to keep them in the rack case safely

Cutout a small piece of mdf or plywood, or pegboard or whatever, velcro the pedals to it (if you use pegboard you can use zipties) and keep it in the drawer. I believe those pedals are defaulted to the off setting when you shut off power and turn it on again, so you may end up having to at least open the drawer and turning them on before you start.

Since the price for a 6U and a 5U are so close, you could always get a rack noisegate (isp decimator I think?) and eliminate another pedal.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
i say buy a pedal tuner and a bbe sonic stomp and a nice power strip. throw the pedals onto a small board and be done with it. getting a rack for his purposes is going to be way more expensive. for the 3 things i mentioned you could spend under 300. maybe even down to 200 if you get good enough deals on used gear.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i say buy a pedal tuner and a bbe sonic stomp and a nice power strip. throw the pedals onto a small board and be done with it. getting a rack for his purposes is going to be way more expensive. for the 3 things i mentioned you could spend under 300. maybe even down to 200 if you get good enough deals on used gear.

+1, unless you're at least using some kind of rack processor or have your amps in a case with a rack built into it, going through the trouble of lugging around a rack everywhere with your amp is just a dumb idea.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I am a rack user and love it but even I think this is madness. You are going to drag around a rack for a tuner and an enhancer? Sounds like a lot of effort for nothing. If you were going to stick a G-Major and a Quadraverb or something into it then it's worth it but for an enhancer and a tuner? I love my rack tuner but seriously, dude. What are you thinking?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah listen to MC and cathbard lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
BBE Sonic Maximizer isn't worth the effort. Seriously. Go with a pedal board.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1