my music is in the link in my sig. 3 originals, a cover which had unforeseen timing issues, and two "interpretations" i did of fairly popular songs.

let me know what you think of one, some, all, or none. as long as somebody listens to them, and lets me know how they feel. i shall do the same in return.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
Left you a comment on sound cloud. By the way, my guitar tone is available on I think every DigiTech RP pedal. Not sure, though. If you don't have that I can shoot you the settings
Quote by touke
Left you a comment on sound cloud. By the way, my guitar tone is available on I think every DigiTech RP pedal. Not sure, though. If you don't have that I can shoot you the settings

unfortunately, i dont have any pedals. i record using straight amp distortion. i have tried changing my tone using guitar rig 4, but havent gotten anything good yet.

the guitars in the untitled project are very muddy. it was my first song recorded with a 7 string, so i was still using my eq settings for my 6 strings. hence why it is so bass heavy. you are right about the drums, they are quite loud. i record with them louder than they should be so my rhythm matches up with the bass drum on select riffs. i forgot to lower it whilst in the mixing process.

the cover you commented on is a song called, "Intro" by The Absence. here is a link to the original somehow, the guitars and the first solo went off time. im gonna have to look at it, and see what i can do.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
I had the same problem in my rough mix, I also like drums super high whilst recording. But I can tell your a legit guitarist. Reflections of Solitude is damn good, and I'd want to here the whole album
Quote by DrakeTheOne
I know how you feel with the timing errors. I've got a couple in my recording.

ya, it sucks. especially when the clip is set to snap to grid at the whole note. many headaches are caused when the clip is like half a second off.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
Quote by touke
I had the same problem in my rough mix, I also like drums super high whilst recording. But I can tell your a legit guitarist. Reflections of Solitude is damn good, and I'd want to here the whole album

i have never been called a "legit guitarist" before. thank you

thank you again, i like to think of that song as my best work so far. it is the first song i wrote by myself, and recorded myself. it was the culmination of a year of writing. i am VERY lazy, but it was worth it in the end. the initial plan was to do an entire album, and have that song be the intro, but again, i am very lazy, and work started to interfere with that. but now that i am back into the swing of things in terms of writing and recording, hopefully i can make it happen.

EDIT: not to do a shameless plug or anything, but here is a video of me playing the 3rd solo to that song, right when the tremolo picked riffs come in.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
Last edited by djn419 at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by djn419
ya, it sucks. especially when the clip is set to snap to grid at the whole note. many headaches are caused when the clip is like half a second off.

My timing error is more or less the guy doing screams/growls not coming in in the right spot. and I didn't have the luxury of just chopping that part out.
Quote by DrakeTheOne
My timing error is more or less the guy doing screams/growls not coming in in the right spot. and I didn't have the luxury of just chopping that part out.

your daw wont allow it?
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
Nope. We were using a stand alone 8-track. And the guitar line had to be whole I couldn't cut it up.
Melodic DM track: Pretty cool, but I'd back off on your guitar's gain about 1 or 2 notches. Sounds killer, but the fizz from the distortion is covering up nuances in the playing. What's the amp, if I may ask? I might know tips to clearing it up some while staying brutal.

Misery Business metal: Lead tracks are fizzy, and once again, you could back off on the gain a tad to get a clearer sound it'll help the guitars cut a bit more too, which seemed a tad low in the mix.
Loving the bass guitar in this one Of course, I love hearing bass guitar in metal anyways.

Untitled New Project 2.0: Me likey Maybe a tad more mids to clear up the tone some while keeping that brutal oldschool DM sound... The mix seems a lot better in places on this one.

Original C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24545657#post24545657
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 28, 2011,
Quote by DrakeTheOne
Nope. We were using a stand alone 8-track. And the guitar line had to be whole I couldn't cut it up.

damn, that really sucks. get a little 2 channel preamp, like a presonus firestudio mobile, and a snake. that way, you have all the mics going into the snake, and you have the snake going into one of the channels. then you just split it up depending on what you are doing.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
Melodic DM track: Pretty cool, but I'd back off on your guitar's gain about 1 or 2 notches. Sounds killer, but the fizz from the distortion is covering up nuances in the playing. What's the amp, if I may ask? I might know tips to clearing it up some while staying brutal.

Misery Business metal: Lead tracks are fizzy, and once again, you could back off on the gain a tad to get a clearer sound it'll help the guitars cut a bit more too, which seemed a tad low in the mix.
Loving the bass guitar in this one Of course, I love hearing bass guitar in metal anyways.

Untitled New Project 2.0: Me likey Maybe a tad more mids to clear up the tone some while keeping that brutal oldschool DM sound... The mix seems a lot better in places on this one.
/showthread.php?p=24545657#post24545657

first off, thank you!

my amp is a crate glx1200h half stack. unfortunately, i don't remember what my gain setting was at the time of recording, for any of the songs. i also used two different guitars while recording. my LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81-85 for the misery metal, and my schecter hellraiser c-7 FR for the other two you crit'd.

i get what you are saying about fizzy, i certainly do hear it. the misery metal song i probably will just re-record, redo some riffs, and some of the drums. gonna try and make it more aggressive. thanks about the bass. i am no bass player, so i had no idea how to make it sound good!

for the untitled song, again, i couldn't tell you what any of my settings were while recording. but, i did just re-record it, and my settings are as follows: gain: 6, shape: 6, bass: 4, mids: 4, high: 10. how do those settings sound? im gonna repost the song any minute.

EDIT: redone version of Untitled is up. it is in my music link.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
Last edited by djn419 at Aug 3, 2011,
Reflections Of Solitude is awesome, who's song is that originally? Really well done, what kind of software and hardware do you use to record it? Bravo, and I do hope to hear more If you can crit my song that would be nice but keep in mind i recorded it with my cellphone lol so be gentle :P https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464548

Edit: haha just found your video of the solo, good shit
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Last edited by zbest at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by zbest
Reflections Of Solitude is awesome, who's song is that originally? Really well done, what kind of software and hardware do you use to record it? Bravo, and I do hope to hear more If you can crit my song that would be nice but keep in mind i recorded it with my cellphone lol so be gentle :P https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464548

Edit: haha just found your video of the solo, good shit

That song is actually one of my originals. the only covers i have recorded thus far is misery business, whats my age again, and intro by the absence.

my preamp is a Presonus Firestudio Mobile, mic is a Shure SM57, and my DAW is Sonar X1 Producer edition. the only instruments in that song that was physically recorded was guitar, everything else was done through midi. i wrote it all in guitar pro, and went from there. i think i am going to re-record it, this time with higher quality, and actual soft synths.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
djn,
"Untitled Project 3": I'm listening on small computer speakers (not a great way to judge a mix). Not sure if you have any electric bass, or if that's all guitar (with drums). The drums & guitar sounds are sometimes not well defined from one another. The guitar playing is tight. I would classify this as speed metal (not something I typically listen to). I think it's good for the genre. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465574