Page 1 of 3
Title says it all...

My biggest mistake was rushing into playing riffs when I could barely play any chords.

What do the rest of you think?
Giving up on barre chords because they're too hard.

I did this and spent years correcting something that if done right in the first place would have made life alot easier.

So if any beginners come in here i don't care how painful it gets. STICK WITH YOUR BARRE CHORDS!
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by alkalineweeman

I did this and spent years correcting something that if done right in the first place would have made life alot easier.

So if any beginners come in here i don't care how painful it gets. STICK WITH YOUR BARRE CHORDS!

+1
it's actually surprising how much easier barre chords are than i though :/
Quote by alkalineweeman

^^ The very first thing I learned to play was "Reise, Reise" by Rammstein which was written in Drop D. So when i finally got around to learning Chords I had no problem with them at all.

My biggest mistake: not learning to mute properly and then wondering why all my solos sound messy.
Last edited by Ich 666 at Jul 23, 2011,
Trying to play too fast, not trying to be precise enough
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Just rely on their drop tunes. In my opinion it is so much easier to play in drop tunes it isn't even funny anymore^^

And that most of them don't care about the names of notes on their fretboard. It's so much more universal to seapk with note names rather than tabs...
Quote by 100%guitarmad
"Fingerpicking is lame - I want to use a pick"

^ this

And the barré-chords thing
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
Not listening.
Trying to rush into playing the "interesting" stuff before they've got the basics boxed off.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
"I want to shred like Zakk Wylde"
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Not watching youtube videos of how to play guitar nor going on guitar forums to learn how to play guitar---OH, we didn't have youtube or forums in 1978!!
"I can play this song good enough"

WHEN THE SONG WAS SLOPPY AS HELL.

If you´re learning a song, strive for perfection!
Quote by alkalineweeman

This this this.
1. Only practicing downpicking until you come across a piece that requires alternate picking. then you shit yourself

2. Not bending in tune / using just one finger to bend

3. Using dropped tunings before you fully understand standard tuning

4. Not playing standing up

5. Not using the pinky / playing power chords without the octave

6. Not learning the very basics of theory (major and monor scale etc)
I'd have to agree that the worst thing I've seen beginners do is try to play complex leads before learning to play simple chords. I've seen guitar players here in Richmond that can shred for days then turn around and not be able to play a Green Day song.
Not being patient, and not being able to listen to themselves.

I think all problems people face stems from those two. People rushing, trying to take short cuts, not learning things properly, and ultimately not developing after a while. Also when people are finally able to get their fingers to fret the notes that they want them to fret, but not aware that it still sounds like crap.
Quote by daveodestroyer
I'd have to agree that the worst thing I've seen beginners do is try to play complex leads before learning to play simple chords. I've seen guitar players here in Richmond that can shred for days then turn around and not be able to play a Green Day song.
This. I know a guy who can shred decently (not great, but definitely better and faster than me), but can't play simple rhythm. When he saw me playing some riffs he thought I was a rhythm master.
Quote by 100%guitarmad
"Fingerpicking is lame - I want to use a pick"

Also, "picking is hard, I want to fingerpick".

Quote by GoldenRose94
+1
it's actually surprising how much easier barre chords are than i though :/

Yeah, I can't understand anymore why a beginner would have a problem with barrechords... "Jazz chords" are the one's that are hard.

Quote by Ibzman

And forgetting than when you play stuff slow, you're also improving your speed, probably moreso than if you were playing fast.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Quote by mrbabo91
Not using the pinky / playing power chords without the octave

+ ∞

I don't know how many people I see that ARE'NT beginners that still do this.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by alkalineweeman

Playing through the pain of barre chords by making each chord a nuclear event with enough tension in your fretting hand to crush an orphanage.

Quote by mrbabo91
playing power chords without the octave

What's the problem with this? Some people don't want the sound of a perfect fourth in their power chords.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Jul 23, 2011,
i just picked up Matt Smith's Chop Shop book to help me learn theory and technique. It is very confusing and hard to grasp at first but i know that i need to work like hell. If i can't read music and understand the theory behind what i am playing then i will just aimlessly wander around without any clear understanding. Like an infant driving a car.
I put a lot of time into running scales and working on speed but i need to really memorize the notes and work on chords, chords and more chords. I love learning songs but i think that theory and chords are more important...
Not alternate picking when first learning scales.
Relying on power chords because you can't play open/barre chords.
Relying on drop tunings to make playing easier.
Quote by Zelos45
Holding the pick wrong?

I still hold it wrong. I pick sideways along the string slightly and it makes a wierd sound.
playing power chords without the octave.
Not a problem. Some songs require power chords with the octave, some doesn't.

Plus, if you watch live videos of any metal band, you will see that 80-90% of the guitarists don't play the octave. I don't think they are all making a mistake.
Quote by Poglia
Not a problem. Some songs require power chords with the octave, some doesn't.

Plus, if you watch live videos of any metal band, you will see that 80-90% of the guitarists don't play the octave. I don't think they are all making a mistake.

I think in most cases it's because they cant be bothered to play the octave or they havn't learnt that way. You may as well learn to play the octave as well so you have a choice
Most songs I know don't use the full root-fifth-octave powerchord. The root-fifth diad is easier to form and change quickly, which is an advantage for faster music.
Quote by Geldin
Most songs I know don't use the full root-fifth-octave powerchord. The root-fifth diad is easier to form and change quickly, which is an advantage for faster music.

If its fast then yes playing without the octave is beneficial but you see beginner sustaining power chords without the octave when adding it may give them more sustain and fatter sound.
True. I agree entirely with that. I was refuting your point that most of the time the powerchord without the octave is a mistake.
Quote by Ibzman

^This was me for the longest time. Trying to move my picking hand at mach 2 and attempting to keep up with my fretting hand.
This thread makes me wonder... Am I odd because it's harder for me to NOT alternate pick.

Trying to learn riffs and solos as fast as they can play them, making for sloppy technique when you actually CAN play it is probably the biggest one that I had trouble with ( I have been playing for well over 4 years and I only REALLY started listening to myself a month ago)
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
I actually have the same problem. I'm not particularly good at downpicking. Alternate picking is much easier for me to do, which becomes a bit of a problem considering my love affair with heavy metal.
Doing my own thing instead of listening to my instructor. Thus bypassing all the "Important" things they teach you which is resulting in me having to relearn all the basics of playing the guitar.
Page 1 of 3