Is it an assumption that children like sweets, is it generally true and why is that?

Is it an assumption that children like sweets (not specifically chocolate but sweet things), is it generally true and why is that? Why is sugar or sweet stuff given as a treat to kids but things like potato chips or something not.
I never really understood this statement but it seems like an excellent topic for discussion. I'm sure that as kids, you were always told that there were sweets for you whenever you visited relatives and family friends. Is it the sugar? Likewise, what is it about sugar that kids like. As we progressively grow up, the sugar preference seems to disappear too (most usually).

I hope it's just not me who find it an oddity.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Think of it in the same way dogs get dog biscuits. They're usually a reward for doing something good/bribing them to stop being little shits. In my case anyway.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

not sure if serious
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Isn't it because you lose taste buds over time? So candy seems better when you're a kid.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by gilly_90
not sure if serious

I'm being deadly serious and I don't think it's such an absurd question. If it is, why can't you answer me?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

this isa dumb question. Kids like sweets because they taste good. Things that taste good release endorphins. endorphins make us happy. i like sweets just as much now as i did when i was 10. the thing aboiut classical conditioning (rewards) is probably true as well, but mainly sweets just make you feel good.
Probably has something to do with parents not wanting their kid's teeth rotting out of his or her head. So they don't allow them candy as often as they allow other things like potato chips. So it seems like something special when they get candy.

I think you guys are misunderstanding her question. She's asking why they prefer sweets to something else. Why do kids get more excited over one thing that tastes good than another.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by teh_goon
this isa dumb question. Kids like sweets because they taste good. Things that taste good release endorphins. endorphins make us happy. i like sweets just as much now as i did when i was 10. the thing aboiut classical conditioning (rewards) is probably true as well, but mainly sweets just make you feel good.

You've just missed the point entirely.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I don't think I've ever heard of a kid that doesn't like candy/sugar/sweets. But I have met many that shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near anything that contains sugar because they're already annoying, hyper brats, the reason I hate kids and don't plan on having any in the near, foreseeable future.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
"Sweet-tasting foods have been in use throughout time: ancient confectionery based on honey, for example, was regarded as a luxury item. Early records show that sugar was used for preservation and medicinally. Today, our lifestyles, the diets of our parents, peer pressure and the foods that were fed to us at an early age are all factors in determining our food preferences. Another may be the use of sweets as rewards for a child's action, which may explain the association of sweets with love, wellbeing and comfort."
Quote by Kutless Rocker
I don't think I've ever heard of a kid that doesn't like candy/sugar/sweets. But I have met many that shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near anything that contains sugar because they're already annoying, hyper brats, the reason I hate kids and don't plan on having any in the near, foreseeable future.

Sugar doesn't cause hyperactivity.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Harmonius
..but it seems like an excellent topic for discussion.

Well because while they're growing up their bodies' calorie demands are high and increased.. So they're kinda like naturally programmed to like sweets.
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.
Quote by Kutless Rocker

Honestly, I don't care if you have kids, but the way child acts has to do with the parents. Most kids aren't just going to be brats for no reason. It's up to the parents to show them how to act and to show what behavior is good and bad.

Just my opinion. I don't like when people blame kids for being annoying little brats, because with the people I've seen, it's always the parents who don't give a crap how their kid acts.

On topic: Like someone else said, I think kids like them more because most of the time they are a treat or something.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...