Do my ears deceive me, is it my settings, or my tubes?

For some reason, my strat plus sounds better through the Express 25. My Les Paul sounds OK on the clean channel, but never quite gets there on the dirty channel.

Conversely, on the Classic 30, the Gibson sounds great on both channels. The strat does OK too, but not as well as on the Express.

Are these two amps radically different in design? I note that the Peavey has 4 EL84 tubes and I believe the Express has 2. Perhaps it is the preamp design? Or, do I just not have my settings right on either amp to get the right tone from both guitars?

Hard to lug two guitars and two amps to sessions.....
well, the gibson sounds great on both channels of the clasic 30... whats the problem? :P
just bring your gibson and peavy and you're done
Well, they are different amps, so they're going to sound different. Amps make a bigger impact on tone than guitars do.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
"better" is subjective. i personally LOVE the mesa 5:25 and 5:50s.

but what you just said right there is the reason why famous guitarists literally have basement libraries full of gear.

joe perry's boneyard exits because a lifetime of good tone cant come from one guitar and one amp. us lay-people just try to cause its more cost eficent that way.
Quote by Ih5g
well, the gibson sounds great on both channels of the clasic 30... whats the problem? :P
just bring your gibson and peavy and you're done

Yes, but of course the Peavey shares some controls between the two channels, whereas the Mesa has independent consoles for each channel. Also, the mesa has the contour switch/knob. Nice flexibility in the mesa.

I put JJ gold pins in the Peavey. Stock tubes are in the Mesa. I wonder how the mesa would sound with JJ gold pins?