View poll results: Fender Mustang I vs. Roland Cube 20x
Fender Mustang I
15 52%
Roland Cube 20x
14 48%
Voters: 29.
Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good starter amp and I have chosen these two. Fender Mustang I and Roland Cube 20. However, I can't decide which one to choose. I will mostly play heavy/thrash metal like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Slayer maybe Metallica so a good distortion for me is a very important thing. Of course a decent clean tone is important aswell.

Just please don't offer me other amps because the prices here in Lithuania are slightly different than the USA's or UK's and etc.

So If anyone had some experience with these amps and has something to say about them, please do.

Thank you!
I have the 15x and it's got a great metal tone. The 20xl will have a great metal tone too and will have more features. Cube amps are very reliable and last a long time. I've had my 15x for 4 years and it has never broken down even when it's seen a lot of use. It's got a great clean tone as well. I highly recommend it.

Here's a video demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsS-kXGMa2U
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 23, 2011,
Yeah, I watched many videos, read tons of reviews and opinions and still can't decide. The opinions are so different. I personally like The Mustang more, though, but don't know why
Last edited by Karmonas at Jul 23, 2011,
Can you try them out somewhere?
And I like how the speaker cover on the cube is hard plastic not flimsy canvas or what ever that material is on the fender amps.
Speaking of trying, well yes, I have that opportunity, however, I heard that Mustang's best settings are reached only with it's software called FUSE, and I wouldn't be able to experiment that much with the mustang in the shop.

BY THE WAY, I forgot to mention that the sound from from headphones is a very important thing in an amp, because I live in a small apartament with my parents
Well, I used to use the 15x with headphones and it still sounded great.
I would really advice you to try at least one of them, and make your decision based on how much you like it. I have briefly tried the Mustang, but I have only been playing for just a very short time.
Also, look for videos on YouTube, Google both amps and do some research! I reaaly enjoy doing it, but it might lead to you wanting to buy much more expensive gear...

The Mustang is praised on the net for it's cleans and vintage tones, but I have heard clips of some good metal sounds as well. The Cube is more rock/metal oriented, but you might like the sound on the Fender better.

Take your time with your choice, but either way you cant really go wrong.
Quote by Minimum92
I would really advice you to try at least one of them, and make your decision based on how much you like it. I have briefly tried the Mustang, but I have only been playing for just a very short time.
Also, look for videos on YouTube, Google both amps and do some research! I reaaly enjoy doing it, but it might lead to you wanting to buy much more expensive gear...

The Mustang is praised on the net for it's cleans and vintage tones, but I have heard clips of some good metal sounds as well. The Cube is more rock/metal oriented, but you might like the sound on the Fender better.

Take your time with your choice, but either way you cant really go wrong.

Thank you! Very good answer. Yeah, as I said before, I watched tones of videos and both of them sounded good for me, however, I'm afraid that if I buy the Mustang after some time I won't be happy with the distortion for heavy metal because most of people say that roland is more kind of metal amp. Anyway, thanks again
BTW, what do you guys think about Laney Prism P20? Maybe it's a better alternative than these two amps?
i have a 40xl roland cube. I recomend it if you play metal/rock, you can get tons of tones from that amp. But the 20XL has less features, and i think Mustang I has the same features as II and maybe III. So if i were you i would choose Fender.

I think people is attracted by Fender's Mustang because they give you that software with it, but it's useless if you don't have a very good sound card.
You mean that a good sound card is needed to import presets and change some tones in the amp with the Fuse software? I mean, I don't know but I don't think so. Maybe you're talking about that amplitube software(which I would not use it anyway) that is included in the box? If so, yeah, a good sound card is needed but I won't actually use that software anyway.

Thanks for the opinion!
Yeah i tought that some software like Amplitube is included, now i see for what it's meant to .

Anyway, if i were you i would choose the Mustang, or you can save up for a Roland Cube 40XL
Quote by Edward1892
I think people is attracted by Fender's Mustang because they give you that software with it, but it's useless if you don't have a very good sound card.

That's not true. Your sound card has nothing to do with the Fuse software. This software just let's you control the settings on your amp in more detail, ie setting what amp model you are using and with what stomp boxes and effects. The software you are thinking of in Amplitute.
Quote by Karmonas
BTW, what do you guys think about Laney Prism P20? Maybe it's a better alternative than these two amps?
Mustang amps can do metal just fine, you just have to learn it to get the really clean distortions. I would suggest getting the Mustang I only if you plan on being next to your PC most of the time with the FUSE software up and going. The Mustang III has a built-in LCD to edit everything, while the I and II has dials and stuff you can't touch without the FUSE software.

I own a Roland Microcube as well, and I've been happy with that. It's not the 20x, but it's a Roland.

I think overall the Mustang will offer you the world and more, but you just have to realize that you will be using your PC to tweak the thing to perfection, where the 20x has knobs and will probably be less fussy, but probably less options. Just my opinion on that. People who own the Mustangs I and II seem to love them, though.
Quote by Pippers
Mustang amps can do metal just fine, you just have to learn it to get the really clean distortions. I would suggest getting the Mustang I only if you plan on being next to your PC most of the time with the FUSE software up and going. The Mustang III has a built-in LCD to edit everything, while the I and II has dials and stuff you can't touch without the FUSE software.

I own a Roland Microcube as well, and I've been happy with that. It's not the 20x, but it's a Roland.

I think overall the Mustang will offer you the world and more, but you just have to realize that you will be using your PC to tweak the thing to perfection, where the 20x has knobs and will probably be less fussy, but probably less options. Just my opinion on that. People who own the Mustangs I and II seem to love them, though.

Thanks! Yeah I see lots of people who own a mustang and they're happy with it, but I see lots of people who own a roland and they're happy as well, anyway, I hate mustang for one thing, thing is that it doesn't have a clean channel (only presets) and that means I won't be able to add some pedals to it, I mean I would be able to add them but it would sound like crap, right?
How about if you post a poll? Do you know how to do that?
Quote by kutless999
How about if you post a poll? Do you know how to do that?

I actually need some good opinions, not votes. Thanks for the idea btw, maybe I shoyld try that
Quote by Karmonas

pow
I would just get the cube unless you want to be sitting next to your computer with the mustang all the time.
Quote by kutless999
I would just get the cube unless you want to be sitting next to your computer with the mustang all the time.

You're promoting the cube because You have one, but have you ever tried a Mustang?
Quote by Karmonas
You're promoting the cube because You have one, but have you ever tried a Mustang?

Uh, no.

I'm not saying the mustang is bad, I'm just recommending the cube because I have one.
im in love with the roland cube xl80. if i ever need a little practice amp in the future, definatley going to be a cube. for a 1x12 it had a huge sound and great bass response
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The Mustang II is only a bit more expensive compared to the Cube 20XL.

I have a Cube 15X (even less possibilities) and I don't like it that much because it is difficult to find the right settings for a certain tone and you have to remember or write them down.
With the mustang you can save them on the amp (there are adjustable presets) and you can save unlimited to your pc/laptop.
Don't underestimate this factor.

With a simple dial on a knob or a click via the software you can go from a clean bluesy sound to metal distortion combined with other effects.
On the Cube you have to change everything manually and again, once you find the sweet spot you better write them down.

I would go for the Fender Mustang II. (or I if the €20 more compared to the Cube 20X matters that much)
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by xgunterx
The Mustang II is only a bit more expensive compared to the Cube 20XL.

I have a Cube 15X (even less possibilities) and I don't like it that much because it is difficult to find the right settings for a certain tone and you have to remember or write them down.
With the mustang you can save them on the amp (there are adjustable presets) and you can save unlimited to your pc/laptop.
Don't underestimate this factor.

With a simple dial on a knob or a click via the software you can go from a clean bluesy sound to metal distortion combined with other effects.
On the Cube you have to change everything manually and again, once you find the sweet spot you better write them down.

I would go for the Fender Mustang II. (or I if the €20 more compared to the Cube 20X matters that much)

Thanks! Speaking of the prices, if I decide to buy the mustang, I'll buy it new from the store and if my decision will be the roland 20x I'll buy it used, because the kube is like ~40€ more expensive than the mustang in the stores here.
Last edited by Karmonas at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by Karmonas
Thanks! Speaking of the prices, if I decide to buy the mustang, I'll buy it new from the store and if my decision will be the roland 20x I'll buy it used, because the kube is like ~40€ more expensive than the mustang in the stores here.

Apparently, the Mustang I has exact the same features as the Mustang II (and same interface) except it has a lower output and a smaller speaker.
Those differences are not worth the 50% price difference between the I and II.

Go for the Mustang I (you can buy it for a bit more then €100 from the Music Store) ...

... or Cube.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
I have the Cube 15X and I hate the **** out of that thing.

It's divided into 4 channels: which I've affectionately nicknamed "Clean", "Crap", "More Crap" and "How much more gain can you add to this channel? None, none more gain". The aren't really channels, but really a "How much noise do you want?" Knob. The clean channel's ok, though.

What I will give it is that the thing is built to last. There no soft points on this amp, not that there normally are, but you don't notice that until you've tried a Cube, when every part of the enclosure is design to inflict more pain if you hit someone with (or yourself if you're unlucky).

The 15x is bunk, and it's turned me off to the idea of buying anything from Roland or Boss ever again, unless I want something to bludgeon someone to death with. Though it's a terrible amp, the 15x makes an excellent weapon.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
^Well that's the 15x, not the 20x. The 20x has more lead channel tones and has built in effects, so what you said about the 15x is really not be true for the 20x.
my friend had a roland 20x, then he tried out my mustang a traded in is roland for a mustang. i played that roland alot, the mustang SHITS on it. if you have anyore questions about the mustang, PM me. ive used several cubes, and prefer the mustang. ALOT more for the price, and the amp without fender fuse is great, but with it is AMAZING.
Quote by xgunterx

8<
8<

I was planning to buy a pod from Line6 to get a better sound, but after looking at the bay, I still had to pay around €60 for the lower models.

So I decided to sell my Cube 15x and ordered today a Fender Mustang I as well.
If I can get €50 from the Cube which I will sell as soon as the Mustang arrives, then I only had to pay €55 for a much better amp without the risk that the combo of a pod with the Cube 15x still would sound like shit.
Page 1 of 2