Hey fellow UGers,
I just recently purchased a new Agile Interceptor Pro 828 and I've decided I'm not happy with the current pickups that are on it. It has EMG 808s, and I just feel like they're very muddy and are struggling to handle the low end range of the two extra strings. It also suffers a little in the high end too.
I decided that I wanted to make the switch to passive, particularly Bare Knuckle Aftermaths or Painkillers.
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=aftermath
Would this be possible? If so, will it be DIY-able, or will it be pretty damn confusing?
If I was to send it off to get them replaced, aside from the new pickups, are there any extra parts I'd need to send?

I live in a remote area of Australia and therefore there is no one nearby who can replace pickups etc.
Are you sure that it's your pickups? I hear that 808 is pretty much as good as the 7 string version, 707 and those aren't really muddy. Some amps might take the lower strings horribly...
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I'm pretty sure Bare Knuckle don't make pickups built for 8-string guitars, for a start I'm pretty sure the pickups for 8-strings are wider and require a higher frequency range, I'm not much of a guitar tech but that seems most logical to me.
the aftermaths and painkillers seem to be only for 6 string guitars

i see no 7 or 8 string option

the cold sweats are for 7's

you're best emailing them and asking if they do 8 string pickups

edit: f*ck that, just found the 8 string options.

erm... other than wiring them slightly differently you won't need much else by way of hardware to install 'em
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by Dempsey68
the aftermaths and painkillers seem to be only for 6 string guitars

i see no 7 or 8 string option

the cold sweats are for 7's

you're best emailing them and asking if they do 8 string pickups

BKP has a 7 and 8 string version of every one of their pickups.

TS, what amp are you running it through? 808s are known for their clarity, not muddiness.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Thanks for the replies guys. Either way, I've heard great things about BKP, so there's still a chance I'm replacing the pickups anyway.

I'm mainly using various amp modeling software. I've never had an issue with any other of my guitars. Specifically, the main amp I'm using is LePou's Le456.
Quote by Mauzer1337
Would this be possible? If so, will it be DIY-able, or will it be pretty damn confusing?
If I was to send it off to get them replaced, aside from the new pickups, are there any extra parts I'd need to send?
It would be fairly simple, you need to change the pots and caps, there are plenty of wiring diagrams on the BKP website,

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/schematics.php

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'm definitely sure that my pick-ups are the reason for the muddiness, but I'm thinking it may be a problem with the battery. I'm going to buy one to replace it tomorrow and I'll post how things turn out.

Edit:
Turns out the muddiness was due to the battery after all. But overall, I'm still not a huge fan of the sound I'm getting out of them. Not as tight and sparkly as I'd like. So I'll return to my other question, changing the pickups.

So you guys think all that will need to happen is some simple rewiring and changing the pots to get the Bare Knuckles in? I need to be sure, I don't want to wreck anything, and this will be my first time attempting a pickup change.
Last edited by Mauzer1337 at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by Mauzer1337
I'm definitely sure that my pick-ups are the reason for the muddiness, but I'm thinking it may be a problem with the battery. I'm going to buy one to replace it tomorrow and I'll post how things turn out.

Edit:
Turns out the muddiness was due to the battery after all. But overall, I'm still not a huge fan of the sound I'm getting out of them. Not as tight and sparkly as I'd like. So I'll return to my other question, changing the pickups.

So you guys think all that will need to happen is some simple rewiring and changing the pots to get the Bare Knuckles in? I need to be sure, I don't want to wreck anything, and this will be my first time attempting a pickup change.

If I remember right, 808s come with 25k pots, which won't really do the BKPs any sort of justice. I would say get two 500k pots from stewmac, mojotone, allparts, etc.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
If I remember right, 808s come with 25k pots, which won't really do the BKPs any sort of justice. I would say get two 500k pots from stewmac, mojotone, allparts, etc.

Alright, thanks man. So two 500k pots along with the set of Aftermath 8s will be all I need to get started? Then it's just a matter of following the diagrams on their website and hooking up wires correctly right?
Quote by Mauzer1337
Alright, thanks man. So two 500k pots along with the set of Aftermath 8s will be all I need to get started? Then it's just a matter of following the diagrams on their website and hooking up wires correctly right?

Pretty much. Its very straightforward, don't let it intimidate you. Just keep a steady hand with the soldering iron and you'll be all good to go.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance