How many of you got controllers? what model? Why did you need it? What are you using it with/for?

talk about controllers

also here's a question if i get something like

will this work as a controller for my DAW (reaper) as well as a DJ/Scratching controller? I'm very low on budget so I'm trying to get a bit from both worlds. will it be able to control the volume of the tracks, solo/mute and all that as a regular controller?

as you could tell, I don't knw much about controllers but i'm trying to find out so thanks in advance
Hehe... when I read the thread title, I was thinking midi controllers. I have a Korg M1, which I bought because it's a great keyboard. Then I blew the outputs, so it's just a great midi controller.

I think, in general, controllers are pretty generic. You might be best checking the documentation or the website of what host you'll be using, or even the manufacturer of the controller to see if they are compatible.

Again, in general, I think they work via midi. Being a universal standard, I wouldn't think it would much matter what device sent the command - as long as the software was set up to recognize the input and associate it with a command. Ex. the controller sends a middle C, which, when it gets to the software, gets understood as a stop/start command.

.... I think.....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Hehe... when I read the thread title, I was thinking midi controllers. I have a Korg M1, which I bought because it's a great keyboard. Then I blew the outputs, so it's just a great midi controller.

I think, in general, controllers are pretty generic. You might be best checking the documentation or the website of what host you'll be using, or even the manufacturer of the controller to see if they are compatible.

Again, in general, I think they work via midi. Being a universal standard, I wouldn't think it would much matter what device sent the command - as long as the software was set up to recognize the input and associate it with a command. Ex. the controller sends a middle C, which, when it gets to the software, gets understood as a stop/start command.

.... I think.....

CT

Yeah i was thinking the same, i read the manual and it turns out to have MIDID on it's USB out (aint got a MIDI jack). oh and i was looking at BCD2000 actually which is like 100 bux, you think it's worth it?
I've messed around plenty-o-times with my friend's Numark NS7, yeah the fancy-dancy one with motorized platters. What I've found when using it is that it basically is a MIDI controller. Everything can be mapped except for the turn-table platters. You lose all functionality of the platters when it comes to using a recording DAW as opposed to DJ software. I know Ableton's "Bridge" can connect with Serato Itch but that's the only example I know of a DAW using the platters.

But I wouldn't let that deter you from purchasing one. Most of these types of controllers come with their own 1st-party software anyway that has some form of recording function. You can record with that software, export and master it with Reaper or something.

I think you'll find out pretty quickly that DJ'ing is not a simple skill. After all, it is literally mixing on the fly. But I think if you have the drive to learn how to do it properly, it won't take long before your spitting out good mixes. I personally think it would be pretty awesome if you were able to DJ your own songs.

------------------------------------

As for my own setup, I've got 3 controllers I use simultaneously. I have an AKAI MPK49 (used for MIDI lead/instrument parts and an AKAI MPKmini that I use for recording drum patterns. My third controller is a Novation Launchpad which acts as my clip launcher / track arm / mixer / FX launcher / and MIDI key map. The launchpad is kinda specific for Ableton Live but can be used with other DAWs. People do some pretty neat things with it. You should look it up on youtube if you haven't seen it in action.