I tend to play power chords with just my index and ring finger instead of my index, ring. and pinky. I can play all my stuff fine both ways but find using only 2 fingers more comfortable. I use my pinky when I solo, especially when doing some Phrygian Dominant stuff that I've been having fun with lately. Is it bad that I get almost "lazy" and only use two fingers?
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Not really.

I use both, 3 fingers when i want a thicker sound and 2 when i want to alternate with the notes. (like instead of playing a powerchord with root and 5th i play a powerchord with a root and minor 6th and stuff like that.)
Don't know what you mean? You play 3 note powerchords with the octave or just a 2 note power chords? It depends on the circumstances, but it isn't bad I'd say. I tend to play 2 note power chords mostly using my index and pinky. Only when you want to get a fuller sound I add the octave. On the A string I usually bar the 5th and the octave with my ring finger. I'd say it doesn't matter when it considers powerchords.
Good to know then.

Only reason I asked is because I always see people using their pinky when playing power chords. I never really thought much of it until recently. Good to know I won't have to re learn anything. Thanks guys
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by DamagingExcess
I tend to play power chords with just my index and ring finger instead of my index, ring. and pinky. I can play all my stuff fine both ways but find using only 2 fingers more comfortable. I use my pinky when I solo, especially when doing some Phrygian Dominant stuff that I've been having fun with lately. Is it bad that I get almost "lazy" and only use two fingers?

It isn't really bad at all, I've always used just my index and ring finger for power chords..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by DamagingExcess
Good to know then.

Only reason I asked is because I always see people using their pinky when playing power chords. I never really thought much of it until recently. Good to know I won't have to re learn anything. Thanks guys

you should be able to do it all ways. there are times when it's good to use two fingers (and even then, there are times to use index + ring, and times to use index + pinky), and there are times when it's better to use 3 and throw the octave on top.

you say "i don't have to re-learn anything", but what i see is "i don't have to learn anything". if you do something like this only one way, you limit yourself.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf

you say "i don't have to re-learn anything", but what i see is "i don't have to learn anything". if you do something like this only one way, you limit yourself.

Lol that's not what I meant. When it comes to guitar, I enjoy it and I want to be as good as I possibly can. If I enjoy something I keep doing it until I'm "good" at it and then try to get better from there.

If I'm doing something wrong, I would make it my mission to correct it because I'm a perfectionist

I love learning new stuff when it comes to guitar. It's not a chore to me.

Like I said I can play everything fine both ways, just one is more comfortable to me. Nothing more, nothing less

Edit: And I always throw the octave on my power chords. I hit two notes with my ring finger. I hit the octave with the fleshy part of my finger while hitting the fret above with the tip of my finger
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Last edited by DamagingExcess at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by macashmack
Are you queer? if it feels better its better

No but your dad definitely is... what was to point of that exactly?
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by DamagingExcess
Lol that's not what I meant. When it comes to guitar, I enjoy it and I want to be as good as I possibly can. If I enjoy something I keep doing it until I'm "good" at it and then try to get better from there.

If I'm doing something wrong, I would make it my mission to correct it because I'm a perfectionist

I love learning new stuff when it comes to guitar. It's not a chore to me.

Like I said I can play everything fine both ways, just one is more comfortable to me. Nothing more, nothing less

Edit: And I always throw the octave on my power chords. I hit two notes with my ring finger. I hit the octave with the fleshy part of my finger while hitting the fret above with the tip of my finger

then you've got the right attitude. in that case, it's as everyone says -- if it sounds good, it is good. keep up the good work.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.