I need a power supply for my pedals. I need suggestions. The cheaper the better. I need something that won't cause that infernal hum that everybody despises so much. Budget is incredibly tight.

I need it to be able to run the following pedals simultaneously:
Boss CE5
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
EHX Memory Toy
Digitech Hot Head

They're all the same polarity, centre negative. What does this mean? Does this mean that I need to look for power supplies that are centre positive? Should I go for a single power supply and use a daisy chain or should I try a multi-power supply unit like the Voodoo power supply?

I'm not very knowledgable on this. Be gentle.

Thanks in advance.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
no, you have to buy one with centre negative, like most of them are. visual sound 1spot, dunlop dc brick, modtone power plant, voodoo lab pedal power...what exactly is your price range?
Quote by TheMightyBean
no, you have to buy one with centre negative, like most of them are. visual sound 1spot, dunlop dc brick, modtone power plant, voodoo lab pedal power...what exactly is your price range?

No more than £50.

None of which will work.

Good.

then visual sound 1 spot and the daisy chain to go with it are the way to go. all of the other ones i mentioned exceed 50 pounds
i haven't heard people complain about it causing hum
Last edited by TheMightyBean at Jul 23, 2011,
BBE Supa Charger

Save up and buy this if you're budget is really tight. You could probably snatch it for £120 maybe less if used or something.

I was going to buy this but decided to shell out the extra cash and get the Voodoo lab.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
musicstore in cologne does a fame-branded (its house brand) what-looks-to-be a clone of a voodoo pedal power 2 for 50 euro... postage would be 10 euro, so it's around your budget (you'd also need to get your own UK kettle lead or adaptor as it'll come with a euro plug). I haven't tried it, and it might be shite, but supposedly it is isolated etc., and it's by far the cheapest isolated one i've seen.

if it's any good at all...

I mean you're paying 3 times that for a VL one, and over twice that for even the cheapest alternatives like the BBE (which is also presumably made in china- its other pedals are).

you can pay more than that for a glorified daisy chain...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by TheMightyBean
then visual sound 1 spot and the daisy chain to go with it are the way to go. all of the other ones i mentioned exceed 50 pounds
i haven't heard people complain about it causing hum

Thanks. Only one problem, I can't find a 3-pin version of the One Spot. I'm in the UK.

>.<

None of which will work.

Good.

Do what I do, buy rechargable 9v batteries and a charger, it will be less than a powersuply and you don't get that powersuply hum.

EDIT: You never have to worry about extension cords, or wall outlets. I always keep 2 fully charged batteries as spare also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 24, 2011,
the problem with rechargeables is they tend to have a lower voltage than normal batteries. Not sure if it's true with the 9V ones, but with 1.5V ones the rechargeable ones are normally more like 1.2V. That means, pretty much, dying battery syndrome even when you're fully charged up.

Plus it's a pain to charge them.

Anyway, regarding the supplies: you might not get hum with a daisy chain (i'd take reports of getting hum or not with a pinch of salt- it doesn't matter if jimmy in oklahoma isn't getting hum, it matters if you are with your rig ), but the only way to pretty much guarantee you won't get hum is to get one with the isolated outputs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.andertons.co.uk/power-supplies/pid9393/cid591/powerbank-dc9x-10-way-fx-pedal-power-supply.asp

By isolated, I take it you mean something like this?

I know it's cheap, but there's no way I'm going to afford any other one like this. Most of them are in excess of £100. A lot of reviews say the build quality isn't the best, but I'm not going to be gigging with it.

None of which will work.

Good.

no, i mean actually electrically isolated. that's most likely just a daisy chain in a box.

As I said, there's that fame one which is (so it claims) electrically isolated. It might be complete crap, but it might be worth the risk. As you said, most isolated ones are much more expensive, so either the fame one is incredibly good value or cheap crap

here's some info of which supplies are isolated and not:

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 24, 2011,
Thats a good deal if i will cut out noise. A cheap powerblock over here will run you $100USD min. and thats not even a good one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
that looks like a cheaper powerblock
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you are using several wall warts, make sure your instrument cables are not next to them as that will cause hum.
Heyyy, get the johnny shred freak power supply, its the same thing as the Diago powerstation but costs £11, i think the online store is closed for a couple of weeks though.

http://www.elementfx.co.cc/index.php/2011/07/johnny-shred-freak-power-supply/

I run a good 8 or so pedals off it without any problems. You shouldnt have any noise problems with a well regulated quality supply, that provides at least double the current output that your pedals need.

But theres all sorts of variables that can cause noise. Going from my cheap adapter to the JSF one made a world of difference in terms of noise.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 24, 2011,