I have a quick question that I wasn't able to find an answer to. I am considering joining the military for the experience, but my grades are high enough to get me into some really good colleges. The only thing stopping me is I am not sure if when I am done with the military, can I apply to colleges with the grades I got in highschool?
i don't see why not.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
of course you can apply with your h.s. grades. even better, you'll have the GI bill to help pay for it ! that should make your parents a little happier about you joining. what branch are you considering?
LolNah. The military erases everything you did before it.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by stepchildusmc
of course you can apply with your h.s. grades. even better, you'll have the GI bill to help pay for it ! that should make your parents a little happier about you joining. what branch are you considering?

Probably the Navy
Depending on your grades and score you get on that test they give you, you could qualify for some high-brow military work if I'm not mistaken.

Love the Low end
Quote by doomded
LolNah. The military erases everything you did before it.

"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Zeelod
Depending on your grades and score you get on that test they give you, you could qualify for some high-brow military work if I'm not mistaken.

That would be pretty cool
Join the army. Now.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

yvan eht nioj
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
If your grades are good and you want to join the military, you should consider joining one of the military schools, (US Military Academy, US Air Force Academy, US Naval Academy) because you don't have to pay tuition there. Furthermore, after four years of study you earn a college degree AND you're commissioned as a second lieutenant.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by Zeelod

This.

Also, there's usually a pretty strong emphasis on education while you're actually in the service, so it's not like that time won't count. I've been in the Air Force for two years, joined straight out of high school, and ever since I arrived at my current duty station all I've been hearing about is how I need to hurry up and get my associate's degree.

EDIT:
Quote by stepchildusmc
good luck with your decision benn. squid huh? well, they make great cab drivers !

The first base I went to in my career there was a cabbie that everyone called The Captain, he was former Navy. He was the shit.
Last edited by madbasslover at Jul 23, 2011,
yvan eht nioj

Oh god, that made me laugh.

I had almost forgotten about that episode.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by British Josh
If your grades are good and you want to join the military, you should consider joining one of the military schools, (US Military Academy, US Air Force Academy, US Naval Academy) because you don't have to pay tuition there. Furthermore, after four years of study you earn a college degree AND you're commissioned as a second lieutenant.

They have D1 athletics right? I am pretty sure I could probably get in
Quote by benn913
They have D1 athletics right? I am pretty sure I could probably get in

The process is insanely selective for people who are already in the Air Force, even more so for civilians trying to get in. I'm not saying don't try, I'm just saying don't expect athletics to carry you like they would at a normal college.

One of the guys in my squad when I was in training school got into the academy. He had to submit his application, do an interview, get a state senator's approval, and possibly a couple other things. He waited around for months before the word finally came down that he'd made it, and he was the only one out of several applicants who actually made it past the selection process.
If you got good grades, I would suggest at least going to college before joining the military. Then when you are finished, you can assess your prospects with an older, more mature point of view. Seeing as you could potentially die, it might be wise to wait a few years to see if you still want to do this.
Quote by due 07
If you got good grades, I would suggest at least going to college before joining the military. Then when you are finished, you can assess your prospects with an older, more mature point of view. Seeing as you could potentially die, it might be wise to wait a few years to see if you still want to do this.

Yeah I guess that's true
Quote by due 07

This is a good thing to take into account. Depending on which branch you choose and which job you choose in that branch, you'll be less likely to get shot at, but any job that deploys (which is all of them) could put you at a potential risk. That's not to say you'll be in imminent danger 24/7 -- in fact deployments are relatively safe for a fair amount of career fields -- but any time you're in a deployed environment there's an increased threat level.

That said, if you want to "cheat," you can try to join the Air Force as a linguist on a 4 year contract. For most linguists training is like two years long, and when you're in training you don't deploy or do anything even remotely dangerous. In training your job is more-or-less to go to class, so that would be half your enlistment right there. I'm not a linguist myself, but a lot of my friends are.
Last edited by madbasslover at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by due 07

Well with the "potentially die" part depends all on what branch/job he has. I'm sure if he joins the Air Force or the Navy he has a lower chance of getting killed than some guy doing infantry in the Army or Navy.

Though I have heard you move up faster if you have some college education than some guy who joined straight out of high school.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I was in the Navy. I was honorably discharged in June.

I say go to college, get a good degree, then go join the Navy under the Officer program. They make about twice as much as enlisted and the are treated like royalty. They go to all the same ports, but they have better privileges like overnight liberty and whatnot.

Personally, if I could do it all over again, I'd still enlist. I had fun, saw amazing countries, and got great benefits fro school. But if I could go back to high school, I would have actually tried and got good enough grades to go to a good college.

I'm not going to badmouth the military, it's not perfect, but it's a huge organization, so it's not expected to be perfect. It is really hard work for good pay, but they will get their moneys worth out of you, so don't expect them to be understanding or compassionate when it comes down it. And they take almost anyone, and it's easy for a moron to make a rank off of a test. Then they are put into a position because of that rank that they aren't ready for and everyone suffers. That and just ship life in general are the 2 most miserable things you'll experience, and they become your life.

If you're patient with stupid people, and you like to drink, you'll be just fine.