Page 1 of 4
Inspired by the 'riff lords' thread. I was thinking of posting a song but i thought a lot of songs i like have good riffs but the people might not be from 'riffy' bands as such. So basically, just post songs with badass riffs in here and all that.

This song

Original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crdYfK7Hv2g

Cover version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFVUojBfHZI
Crazy Train is one of the most badass riffs ever. No matter how over played it is.

OH, Whole Lotta Love is more badass than pretty much anything. That bend on the D 5th fret of the A string, bending it just out of tune to the open D is just so good.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Jul 23, 2011,
Whilst i'm not a fan,

Velvet Revolvers - Slither is catchy.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Whilst i'm not a fan,

Velvet Revolvers - Slither is catchy.

Stop following me. And I play that riff pretty much every time I pick up my guitar.
Creeping Death

The main riff and the "DIE! DIE!" riff are awesome.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Stop following me. And I play that riff pretty much every time I pick up my guitar.

I heard it on Scuzz the other morning, and whilst i hate slash, that riff is pretty cool
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Insomnia - Periphery Link

Sequoia Throne - Protest the Hero link

Panic Attack - Dream Theater Link

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin Link

All I could think of right now
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Supernaut by Black Sabbath has one of the craziest riffs ever. Gets me pumped every time.
Of Dust and Nations -- Thrice the chorus riff is amazing
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Quote by Anthony1991
I heard it on Scuzz the other morning, and whilst i hate slash, that riff is pretty cool

I'm kinda a Slash fan boy unfortunately. I try not to be. It sucks, cuz my guitar (which happens to be a Gibson Les Paul) looks quite similar to Slash's, which wasn't the reasoning behind buying it at all. Then, I bought my Marshall. Turns out that was Slash's main amp before his signature came out. All my guitarist friends rip the shit out of me for it. And I'm wearing a Slash shirt right now. This is so bad...

But ANYWAY, I'm pretty sure that riff was voted 2nd best in the last 10 years, losing to Plug In Baby by Muse.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I'm kinda a Slash fan boy unfortunately. I try not to be. It sucks, cuz my guitar (which happens to be a Gibson Les Paul) looks quite similar to Slash's, which wasn't the reasoning behind buying it at all. Then, I bought my Marshall. Turns out that was Slash's main amp before his signature came out. All my guitarist friends rip the shit out of me for it. And I'm wearing a Slash shirt right now. This is so bad...

But ANYWAY, I'm pretty sure that riff was voted 2nd best in the last 10 years, losing to Plug In Baby by Muse.

****ing win, good old Muse

I don't like GNR at all really, i've never really liked the american rock movement at all really... There are kind of right to rip you though tbh
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
****ing win, good old Muse

I don't like GNR at all really, i've never really liked the american rock movement at all really... There are kind of right to rip you though tbh

Yeah, I know... But, I don't learn Slash's stuff. I much prefer Izzy's parts. He is a beast.
Shovel Knockout by Bodom's bridge is pretty ****in' badass, as far as their new stuff goes.

For classics, I go with the verse riff in SATO by Ozzy. Pantera's CFH's verse also makes me wanna punch everything in sight.

EDIT: All the Slash haters blow my ****in' mind... Seriously?
Last edited by Norse Thrasher at Jul 23, 2011,
This Charming Man -- The Smiths
Sick Sad Little World -- Incubus
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Yeah, I know... But, I don't learn Slash's stuff. I much prefer Izzy's parts. He is a beast.

Liar.

You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I always thought BLS' Destruction Overdrive was a pretty sick riff, then again, most BLS riffs sound like that
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
breakdown riff in i'm broken by pantera, intro riff to mouth for war, pinch harmonic riff as well as the one proceeding it in cemetery gates. basically anything by pantera

that and all of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWp_4358VE

mainly the riff that comes in at 0:34
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Anthony1991
Liar.

Okay, I'm learning the SCOM solo, just for speed. But honestly, I only really learn rhythm. Lead guitar doesn't do much for me.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Okay, I'm learning the SCOM solo, just for speed. But honestly, I only really learn rhythm. Lead guitar doesn't do much for me.

Always the bridesmaid aren't you Jizzy....

thehehehehehehhe I'm giggling like a little girl over that, and i don't know why.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Always the bridesmaid aren't you Jizzy....

thehehehehehehhe I'm giggling like a little girl over that, and i don't know why.

Idon'tgetit

It's IZZY.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

Totally. I prefer rhythm guitar because it's a good riff that makes the song, not solos.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
Totally. I prefer rhythm guitar because it's a good riff that makes the song, not solos.

I find doing the same thing over and over with minor variation for 5 minutes a little boring if i'm honest. It's what a bass is for.

Give me one guitar over several any day.

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Idon'tgetit

It's IZZY.

Lol it just sounded funny Mix of LZ and VR?
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
I find doing the same thing over and over with minor variation for 5 minutes a little boring if i'm honest. It's what a bass is for.

Give me one guitar over several any day.

Lol it just sounded funny Mix of LZ and VR?

Stilldoesn'tgetit

Quote by rgrockr

Yup. I just like being the whole sound behind the song. And, with rhythm, you're not usually stood around waiting for a solo, you're playing the whole song. The only thing I'd prefer over rhythm is Jimmy Page style. Doing rhythm and lead all in one. But doing that well is bloody hard.
This guy

Mozart was probably the best riff writer (eine kleine nachtmusik, symphony 40' main theme's basic idea, le nozze de figaro's main theme's basic idea, k 487 piano concerto etc), as well as bach (sinfonia 146/1052, toccate et fuga in d moll). of course, the single greatest and most famous riff of all time, the main theme's basic idea/ 4 note motive from beethoven's 5th
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Stilldoesn'tgetit

Yup. I just like being the whole sound behind the song. And, with rhythm, you're not usually stood around waiting for a solo, you're playing the whole song. The only thing I'd prefer over rhythm is Jimmy Page style. Doing rhythm and lead all in one. But doing that well is bloody hard.

Your name, mix of LZ and VR!

One guitar is the only way to make a rock band cool these days. You need a heavy bass for the rhythm and occasional groove, then guitar for rhythm when bass plays groove, then guitar for lead when bass goes into groovey rhythm.

Multiple guitars has always been fail in anything that isn't metal.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Your name, mix of LZ and VR!

One guitar is the only way to make a rock band cool these days. You need a heavy bass for the rhythm and occasional groove, then guitar for rhythm when bass plays groove, then guitar for lead when bass goes into groovey rhythm.

Multiple guitars has always been fail in anything that isn't metal.

It's not VR. It is Led Zep and Guns. Izzy being Izzy Stradlin. And metal's nearly all fail anyway...
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
It's not VR. It is Led Zep and Guns. Izzy being Izzy Stradlin. And metal's nearly all fail anyway...

Meh, it's all the same.

I only like symphonic metal /shit storm! But seriously, symphonic metal is the best form of metal imo. Nu-metal being the worst - that's like Blink 182 with super distortion.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Not necessarily a riff, but that little melody they use as a bridge on War Pigs is magnificent.

Despite it being pretty basic, Smoke on the Water is pretty high up on the list.

Iron Maiden has some pretty phenomenal riffs. The Trooper, Wasted Years, Number of the Beast, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Paschendale, Running Free, and a number of other classics.

No one's gonna forget Purple Haze for quite a long time.

Too many Led Zeppelin riffs to list.
Page 1 of 4