Hey,

I play a Strat through a Fender FM 212r, and right now for a slight overdrive on my clean channel for solos I use a Boss SD-1. It doesn't seem to sound right though. It almost sounds, too thin, if that makes sense. I know it'd sound better if I was playing through a tube amp, but right now I'm stuck with the frontman.

Anyway, my question is, are there any tubescreamers/overdrives that sound good on solid state amps? And would give a fatter tone on the clean channel?

Thanks for any help.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I've never heard of a SS amp that actually needing a OD, since a good SS amp will usually have a very tight gain already. Plus, OD pedals are meant to overdrive the tubes in a preamp harder to get more gain and more tightness out of them by cutting lows and boosting mids.

What you really need is a new amp.
haha yeah the lead channel is pretty good, but sometimes I just like to use the overdrive pedal on the clean channel for lighter solos and stuff. I was just wondering if a different pedal would make it sound a little better I guess
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
A Fulltone OCD, maybe? I've heard great things about them.
I don't have a signature
Check out the Hardwire CM-2.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Eh, I'm kinda iffy when it comes to running pedals through a Frontman, they are not the greatest amps. I'd recommend you just save your money for a amp that can sound good at low gain on the gain channel.

I mean, you can fiddle with the amp and EQ it and mess with the gain settings to attempt to get a good tone from it, but it's best if you save up for a nice little tube amp.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Eh, I'm kinda iffy when it comes to running pedals through a Frontman, they are not the greatest amps. I'd recommend you just save your money for a amp that can sound good at low gain on the gain channel.

I mean, you can fiddle with the amp and EQ it and mess with the gain settings to attempt to get a good tone from it, but it's best if you save up for a nice little tube amp.

Yeah that's true. It was my first "real amp" so it's just average I guess. What are some decent priced (probably no more than $600 or so) tube amps you would reccomend though?
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by shredibanez24
Yeah that's true. It was my first "real amp" so it's just average I guess. What are some decent priced (probably no more than $600 or so) tube amps you would reccomend though?

How loud are you looken to get? And what kind of tones?
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, look into a Digitech Bad Monkey. $49 and I like it better than an OCD or a Tube Screamer, but that is me. YMMV.
overdrives don't really do a whole lot with SS it just makes the guitar louder kinda but doesn't add to the sound in a positive way. short of getting a new amp (already suggested) i would get a better distortion pedal to use with the clean channel and use the dirty channel of your amp to do what you want.
Quote by ethan_hanus
How loud are you looken to get? And what kind of tones?

Hmm... well I play in a classic rock/blues/jam band, with just drums bass and one guitar, so loud enough to play with a band and for small/medium size shows at bars/parties etc. As far as tones, a good clean channel for Hendrix/SRV style stuff, and a good drive channel for Zep, Stones, Sabbath, etc. would probably be ideal.
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by shredibanez24
Hmm... well I play in a classic rock/blues/jam band, with just drums bass and one guitar, so loud enough to play with a band and for small/medium size shows at bars/parties etc. As far as tones, a good clean channel for Hendrix/SRV style stuff, and a good drive channel for Zep, Stones, Sabbath, etc. would probably be ideal.

Peavey Valveking will get you what you want for a reasonable price.
Quote by monwobobbo
Peavey Valveking will get you what you want for a reasonable price.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, there's a few amps you can look at in your price range.

Jet City JCA50h
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Hot Rod Blues Junior III(might have to mic up)
Vox Night Train(might have to mic up)

Alright sweet, I'll check those out for sure. Thanks so much for the help guys
Quote by Robchappers

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by monwobobbo
overdrives don't really do a whole lot with SS it just makes the guitar louder kinda but doesn't add to the sound in a positive way. short of getting a new amp (already suggested) i would get a better distortion pedal to use with the clean channel and use the dirty channel of your amp to do what you want.

overdrive pedals used the way they are normally used with tube amps won't do anything for the sound, but you can use any overdive pedal just like any distortion pedal, and get a smoother, more organic sound that's a lot more subtle, which i think is what the TS is looking for. a lot of distortion pedals remain very rough around the edges no matter how you set the controls and won't give you any subtlety at all.

all you've gotta do to get an overdrive pedal working well with a clean solid state amp is match the volume of the pedal to the volume of your clean sound so you're not boosting your signal and clipping the input stage. then adjust the gain and tone to taste. basically, you use it as you'd use a distortion pedal

i haven't really tried the boss SD-1 properly but i heard it was a bit of a thin sounding pedal, although perhaps if you try adjusting the controls on the pedal on the amp you might be able to get a thicker sound that way without having to buy anything extra.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Look at the VHT special 6 ultra 1x12 combo it is less than $400 new and sounds amazing. The Bugera V22 combo is a good cheap amp, 2 channels and I believe an FX loop also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate