Hey guys!
I've been thinking lately on how i should approach my goals.
I have alot of goals to achieve
Technique, Phrasing/Improv, Vocabulary of licks and runs, Thinking speed/knowing the neck/the more jazzy stuff, mastering different styles

currently i concentrate on them all, doing them all in my practice routine. But i was wondering, should I maybe concentrate on them one at a time?
Like get my technique in place first, then after its done, keep it in shape and concentrate on another goal. Or should i keep at doing them all at once.
It just feels that im not putting in enough work for each sector for it to be improving at a good rate. So rather then deviding the 4 hours a day between all these things, maybe i should concentrate on one thing at a time. Maybe do it daily (one day for technique, one day for phrasin etc) or maybe do it Monthly/Yearly (keep doing it till i feel it has made progress, or till ive reached the level of which i find good enough)

I hope this all makes sence.
Also i wait answers from only the people who actually know a thing or two about stuff, dont want any little Jimmy from next door giving me advice. (i know im mean, but its really important to me)

Thanks in advance guys!
1) Organizing a large amount of goals is something that a teacher can really help with. I know that if I didnt have my classical guitar teacher I would've been lost with where to begin. Not only does a teacher help you organize and achieve your goals, a good teacher really gives a sense of security, like you know that your practicing the right things and your going to get somewhere. Music is a tradition and if you want to be good you need to learn from people who have mastered that tradition already.

2) The quality of your practice is essential. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Check out this website, it has some good information about correct practice. http://www.essential-music-practice.com/

3) Technique is something that should be worked on a little bit each day. 30 minutes a day is quite enough perhaps 45 if you really feel up to it that day. Any more than that and you're going to burn out. Continuity is essential.

4) A practice routine should focus on a few main things:
-Technique
-Sightreading: Begin with the basics. Learning to read is a great skill to have.
-Improvisation: Once applicable
-Repertoire: maintenance and new
-Rudiments: Scales, Chords, Arpeggios etc.
-Special DIsciplines: specific problems your having

There is time for all of these things in a practice routing, just bite off small chunks that you can digest well. To answer your question, do a moderate tos mall amount of each thing per day.

Dont bite off more than you can chew in one day. Learn the material thoroughly and remember to be patient with your progress. Pace your self in a realistic way, you wont be able to learn everything in one day. A teacher will really help with that.

5) Do no neglect ear training. Practice Pitch matching and singing scales, triads etc. ET programs are good as well but it is important to learn to sing in tune with your instrument and recognize intervals scales chords etc.

6) I like to keep a few days off in a week so that I don't burn out and have time for other things in life that need to be done. Pace yourself and enjoy what your doing.

7) Again i strongly suggest a teacher, that will really help you organize your goals.

Good luck
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Dividing your time between areas that need development is a smart way to practice. A teacher will help with keeping you focused in areas that maybe you thought you were strong in but can be refined. The outside perspective is very important.

So not only doing technique, sight reading and all of the above you should also be recording your daily practice as well and listen back to it so that you can evaluate for yourself what areas are weak and what areas are strong. Keep a book and log what you have done so that you can see in black and white what you have worked on and what has improved and what has not. The areas that are not improving focus on them a little more than the other areas that are strong.

It will take time but you will see improvements.

All the best,
Joe

http://www.joepinnavaia.com
not exactly what i asked, but yeah this is useful information (:
i still would like to know if i should concentrate on my goals one at a time or all together