Hey
What brand of multi-fx pedal would YOU go for if you had to choose? More specifically a Zoom G9 or Line 6 Pod x3 Live.

I will primarily be recording with the pedal via usb, but i would still like a pedal capable of gigging and going into a real amp!

The main features i'm looking for are:
- Ease of use
- Manipulation of sound (how well can i edit each parameter to achieve an ideal sound?)
- Quality of sound (from amp sims to effects)
- Durability (how robust the switches are etc)
- Patch manipulation software (can i edit patches on the PC and download them?)
- Value for money!

I know stompboxes are better sound quality than multi-FX, but i'm getting a board to practice/record at home, with the occasional gig.

Thanks in advance
Vox Tonelab
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Ihave owned both, Line 6 hans down!
Fender MIM 60th Anniversary Strat
Freshman Apollo Electro-acoustic
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
Quote by CalumFraser
Ihave owned both, Line 6 hans down!

Ah would be good to hear from someone who's owned both.
What reasoning behind line 6 winning?
vox tonelab

or boss

not line6 or zoom
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
also just to add to the credibility of my post

i was playing a load of multi-fx pedals in a music shop the other day JUST because i was bored so posed as a buyer to play about with a load just to pass the time.
i played a Vox Tonelab, a Boss ME50, a zoom G7 and G9 and a korg AX3000G
played them through a Vox VT40+ (closest amp in the shop to my amp of a VT50)
and with a fender roadworn strat loaded with texas specials

edit: didn't play any line6 multi-fx pedals for the simple reason is that i don't like them... they're as fiddly and annoying as f**k at first.

i have to say, while the Zoom G9 was a nice thing to look at, it was a bit fiddly as was the G7. the ME50 and Tonelab were the easiest to use closely followed by the Korg. not sure if any had the capability to connect to a computer and all that, but i honestly have to say the Vox and Boss were the best out of the lot. and as i'm a massive Vox fan, i'd have to say i personally would have bought the Tonelab if i had the cash on me even though i have no real use for it, it was just a nice thing to play with.
forget the fact it's got an 12AX7 tube in there, that's not gonna do a MASSIVE amount to the sound but it does add some clarity to it.
i seriously reccomend you go check it out, it's got the VT modelling capabilities in it too so you can have it as a pre-amp modeller if that's the right term for it.

just go try it out.

now.

what you waiting for?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 23, 2011,
I would get a digitech unit. The rp series is a great value for the money and you get tons more effects than what you get with boss and line 6 units. IMHO, I think the digitech units sound better than the boss units and just as good if not better than the line 6 units. I highly recommend digitech when it comes to mfx units.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Zoofie
The main features i'm looking for are:
- Ease of use
- Manipulation of sound (how well can i edit each parameter to achieve an ideal sound?)
- Quality of sound (from amp sims to effects)
- Durability (how robust the switches are etc)
- Patch manipulation software (can i edit patches on the PC and download them?)
- Value for money!

Ease of Use - Both are easy. I found it easier to get good distortion tones with X3.

Quality of sound - Can't really say one's better than the other, but see ease of use.

Durability - Neither unit has durable footswitches. If I had to make a call the G9 is worse, but I've heard about footswitch problems on both.

Patch - Hands down the X3. You have to have midi for the G9 and Line 6 sw is great.

Value - Well used the G9 might be a hair cheaper. The X3 has dual amp paths and can use a mic with FX. The G9 has the triple expression pedal. Con on the G9 is amp/distortion stomps are combined.
Quote by Zoofie
Ah would be good to hear from someone who's owned both.
What reasoning behind line 6 winning?

There will likely be a few people here that disagree, but oh well...
TONE : The G9 souns very digital IMO. So line6.
EASE OF USE : It took me days to understand the zoom, but I was in full control of the pod in minutes.
DURABILITY: I didnt have either for a great period of time, but neither of the two had any faults whatsoever during this time.
TONE MANIPULATION : Both were pretty articulate, but I found the manipulation in tone from the pod more natural if that makes sense?

TL;DR: Get the line 6!
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
Thanks alot for all your help everyone!!

Thinking of leaning towards Line 6 in that case! Lots of people i know who hate Line 6 seem to judge them on their low-end spider amps, so assume all their products are un-natural sounding and lame.....which doesn't seem very fair
The Line 6 also seems to have alot more 'under the hood' as far as configuration goes, but i may be wrong!
Now to choose between an X3 Live or HD400/HD500!
Last edited by Zoofie at Jul 24, 2011,
Have you considered digitech?
I've seen the RP500/RP1000, and they look very professional - but i've never really known Digitech to be a Multi-FX make! I guess i'm wrong though as i've just seen reviews on them!

So can the Digitech Multi-fx do everything the Line 6 and Zoom ranges can, and also in terms of can it record via usb etc?
Yes, It can record via USB and it works great. Digitech units are very underrated because people associate the name digitech to have didital sounding effects, but that's really not true. IMO, digitech units sound just as good as line 6 units and you get even more features and effects.
Thanks alot for the idea mate, i'm going to check out some reviews on the Digitech RP pedals. Are able to control the pedal's patches via USB on a PC? Like an editor?

Also, what are the main differences between the RP355, RP500 and the RP1000? Just the number of effects, switches etc?
Yes, the rp 155 and up come with a great patch editor called x edit. It works great and it's very easy to make and edit patches.

The difference between the rp355 and rp500 are the switches and the number of effects and amp models, and the main difference between the rp500 and rp1000 is on the rp1000, it acts as an effects switching system which let's you plug in your pedalboard(do you have one?) and incorporate your stompboxes with the rp1000. And the rp1000 also has a little more effects than the rp500. The rp355,500 and 1000 have a 20 sec looper that works great. And another feature that the rp500 and 1000 have is a button that turns off amp modeling for that preset so you can have the tone of your amp intact and still incorporate the effects inside the rp500 and 1000. Theres also a tap tempo button for delay and a few other differences. So the rp500 and 1000 is great if you like the tone of your amp and you want to add something to it.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 24, 2011,
The Digitech has a nice USB preset editor and can record audio over USB. The main differences are the number of switches and FX. The quality of the tones are the same. The RP1000 has two built in loops. One for stomps and one for the amp. The RP1000 is well suited for someone who likes to get some of their dirt or FX from pedals.

Plus the RP series has a 20 sec looper. The RP355 has a drum machine too.
Hd 500!
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
The HD500 is very expensive, is it worth the money in your opinion?