I have an Epiphone Les Paul standard that was broken in school by some stupid kid. The neck cracked around the headstock and made a big slit from the bottom of the 'stock to about the 5th fret. So I took it to my local guitar shop and they glued it back together, nice and flush but then I got bored.

After that it never felt the same... It was something was missing. Tonally it was the same, the crack hadn't affected the tone or playability of it. It was easy to play then. So I took off the strings, took out the pick ups, took the knobs off the controls and temporarily removed the pickups selector.

Out came the chisel, hammer and sandpaper. Now, before I went to work, the guitar was a beautiful tobacco sunburst carved top. Nicer than the other Epiphone Les Pauls I'd seen, even some customs and surprisingly some Gibsons. I felt bad at first, but now I'm happy for doing this.

I removed the cream binding from the guitar, then removed piece by tiny piece (5-6 hours worth of time) the layer of paint. At time I got frustrated with the slow process, so I now have deep chisel cuts in the maple cap, but it adds to the punk look.

With the sandpaper I went at the neck, and sanded it down nice and smooth, also removing the binding, making the thin a lot thinner but darn right easier to play. Sanded down the fret ends and now that guitar is the nicest I have ever played, beating a lot of higher end guitars for me. Don't know if its just because I did it myself, or because I'm a natural at f--king up guitars but it's niiiiiiice. Like REAL nice
And this, folks, is how you get more mileage out of your posts.

Just kidding. I just saw this stuff over in EG, so I thought I'd swing in and give you some shit TS.

For what it's worth, that's a hip little rat axe. I'd consider grabbing something like that for gigs in seedier places. you know, do a pickup swap and wail.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Ah sorry :L I wanted to put it here, seeing as it is a modification. Sorry if I offended you... Hmm. To other people, it may seem like a piece of crap. But it's got sentimental value and it actually plays very well
I wasn't offended, I was giving you a little ribbing. That's what "give you some shit" means. At least that's what it means around here.

I also said that I wouldn't mind having something like that, just to have something to play without worrying about it getting damaged by a drunken careless ass.

I'm glad you like it. I'd probably like a sanded neck too. Something with that pool cue feel. Y'know?
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Funny you say that. Just been playing pool :L my pool cue costs £400 hand made :L twice what I paid for the Epi :P
I bet that neck feels way better, that was a good idea considering the value and condition of the guitar.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Its actually the smoothest neck I've ever played with. Thinking maybe of getting some tea bags on it, staining it up a bit :S not sure though. That'll be a lot of tea I'll have to drink... Lots of toilet breaks
I think it looks cool.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Venomtank
Funny you say that. Just been playing pool :L my pool cue costs £400 hand made :L twice what I paid for the Epi :P

£400?! You're mad. Mine cost £15.

On topic; I really like it. I've been wanting to do something like that to an LP for a while now.
Oh whoa, I cringed while looking at the photos, but I imagine it'd still sound amazing, and that neck would definitely be fast.

I think I was cringing as I'm thinking of my Epi Les Paul with its shiny blue flame maple top and how great I think it looks... but there's something primal and aggressive about your guitar which mine doesn't have!
Awesome!
Quote by CrazyPigeon
£400?! You're mad. Mine cost £15.

I was watching the snooker and i remember them saying a really well known player like stephen hendry or something just used a cue that cost him a tenner from his local department store or something lol.

Bit of a hijack. Yeah whatever floats your boat really. It's not the sort of thing i would do to my guitar (well actually i did do it to my guitar when i was 14, but not really on purpose) but yeah.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
The photo's don't do it justice, weirdly enough. In person it looks very raw and powerful and well used. Like it's been around for years and years. Weirdly enough, when I removed the pickup covers, one was striped and the all black. Surprised me is all :p it sounds a bit brighter than it did before, and a lot louder for some reason. But it is fast. The last sanding on the neck I used the finest sandpaper I could find
Quote by Venomtank
The photo's don't do it justice, weirdly enough. In person it looks very raw and powerful and well used. Like it's been around for years and years. Weirdly enough, when I removed the pickup covers, one was striped and the all black. Surprised me is all :p it sounds a bit brighter than it did before, and a lot louder for some reason. But it is fast. The last sanding on the neck I used the finest sandpaper I could find

You might want to go over the neck with some satin; guitar necks can get buggered up if they don't have a finish on them. I remember i made a guitar neck "naked" once and within 2 weeks I was sanding off all this grimy stuff from my hands that had absorbed into the wood. Eugh.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I sand it down again every week or so, depends how much I've been playing Like only enough to make it smooth and get out any dust. Nothing that removes to much of the wood
imagine sanding for years though.

go ahead and do a light finish on the neck if you want your guitar to last 5+ years.

eventually you will remove enough material to where it will be a toothpick.
That's awesome man! I wouldn't dare to do that to my guitar though. I got pissed off when I dropped her and the paint cracked and chipped.
"You can't play fast unless you play slow"
Quote by Jazz Funeral
I wasn't offended, I was giving you a little ribbing. That's what "give you some shit" means. At least that's what it means around here.

In... Fitzwalkerstan?

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
What wood is that? I thought they use mahogany for most Les Pauls? That doesn't look like mahogany
It's a maple cap. Most Les Paul's have them. Underneath the lighter maple top is a nice dark reddish wood that I believe to be mahogany
yeah I know the general construction of Les Pauls. For some reason, I didn't think of that when I posted my comment.
Quote by Venomtank
it sounds a bit brighter than it did before, and a lot louder for some reason. But it is fast. The last sanding on the neck I used the finest sandpaper I could find

Perhaps when you reassembled you got the pickups closer to or farther from the strings or something? closer would be louder for sure, but I can't explain brighter. Closer can also make it muddy. maybe you flipped one backwards, or there was a hidden wiring issue that you accidentally corrected.

I just reassembled a project where I sanded the neck. I like it and I am NOT going to put anything on it other than finger oil.
it kinda looks like a Gibson smartwood studio, kudos to you for having the balls to manhandle a guitar what way and really make it your own unique instrument.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
Quote by RebuildIt
Perhaps when you reassembled you got the pickups closer to or farther from the strings or something? closer would be louder for sure, but I can't explain brighter. Closer can also make it muddy. maybe you flipped one backwards, or there was a hidden wiring issue that you accidentally corrected.

I just reassembled a project where I sanded the neck. I like it and I am NOT going to put anything on it other than finger oil.

the paint can choke the tone of the guitar and high end tends to be the area that gets choked
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Ah I just love it play it everyday. Before I did this to it, I bought a wine red les paul custom. And loved it. then i did this, and just didnt play the custom, so i sold it :L
Quote by RebuildIt

I can actually. I'll start with guitar finishes. Old guitars use a nitrocellulose lacquer that is quite thin, which allows the guitar to breath, and thus sound brighter (I could go into technical woody details, but this is just the crash course). Modern guitars use a finish closer to automobile lacquer, and is very thick. This seals the wood off from the world. Because it can breath the sound it produces is not as defined and bright. Original Teles had thinskin nitro finishes, and this contributed to their brightness. If you remove a guitar's finish completely, it will sound even brighter. Most likely, there are articles online that can explain the details, but that's my less than five minute explanation.

edit: dammit i just saw hans the lefty explain it. oh well.
Last edited by y2k11hmmm? at Jul 26, 2011,