Hey guys,
Im going to a gig tomorrow and plan on bringing my strat in the unlikely event that I get to meet the guitarist. Anyone got any tips on how best to have a guitar signed so that it will be clear and will last as long as it can?
My strat is a black MIM with a tortoise pickgaurd, the guitarist is Steve Cropper, the venue is a seated concert hall.

Also, any tips on how to meet band members after a gig?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 23, 2011,
What did you coat it with? Also, kudos on getting yours signed by Les Paul himself.
A good place would be the tuning head. I had my guitar signed by Luke Hoskin, and he signed at the back of the tuning head so it wouldn't get scratched or get oil on it.
Use a metallic silver sharpie. Those don't wear off as much as the black ones do. You can coat the sig with some polyurethane or just some clear ballistic tape.

Also, if you can get him to sign the back of the headstock that would be better because the marker will not wear off like on the paint.

That's what happened to my Steve Vai sig, he signed the body and it faded and wore off in a few months but the back of the headstock is in perfect condition.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Hydra150
What did you coat it with? Also, kudos on getting yours signed by Les Paul himself.

I used Krylon acrylic gloss clear coat.

I didn't coat the signature on my Les Paul, but I did use the clear coat on my 7421 when I got it signed by Periphery. It isn't pretty, but I'm not great at applying paint and I wasn't too concerned because my 7421 isn't the most visually stunning guitar in the world, definitely a workhorse.
The back of the headstock sounds like a good idea, but on the other hand a famous signature is a talking point so I kinda want it to be seen yknow?
What about a paint marker?
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
I'd say back of the headstock. A lot of guitarists are smart and prefer to sign them there anyway (I.e. Joe Bonamassa)
Where's Waldo?
NICE!

And by the way, are you in some country that's not the US? Because that says its from July 25th, when its only the 24th.
Where's Waldo?
And by the way, are you in some country that's not the US?
Hah you make that sound strange, as if the US is the only real country and anything else is a curiosity.

Im in the UK, we use GMT, you use GMT (or UCT) - 8.

But yeah, Steve Cropper is a cool guy. still not sure if I should apply any lacquer to the signature or not though - it was drawn with a ink pen designed for writing labels on CDs and I fear it will smudge.
Quote by Hydra150
Hah you make that sound strange, as if the US is the only real country and anything else is a curiosity.

Haha, I realize that now. I just didnt know the difference in time and didnt want to say something like Australia, and then have somebody be like "No Austrailia is at this time, dumbass"... You know how people are...
Where's Waldo?