Hey everybody,
I've been playin' (acoustic) guitar for roughly 7 months now and I'm thinking that its about time for me to move up to an electric, I've been browsing this chain's online store ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/ ) looking at gear to pick up.

First things first, I'm on a fairly limited budget, the absolute most I can spend is roughly $700 but as of right now, I don't plan on spending every cent of that. So with that in mind, I'll continue:

Out of the guitars on the site, the Epiphone Les Paul Special II (in the white color) really caught my eye, I read a few reviews and it seems like a good guitar for me. Another one that I found interesting was the Epiphone Dot ES-335, a bit more pricey, but another good looking guitar (not to mention (a variation on) its Gibson counterpart is the favored guitar of my idol, Dave Grohl).

But....... my real question lies in selecting an amp. I don't need anything flashy or whatever, a 10-20 watt amp good for playing alternative style rock (like the Foo Fighters or Nirvana). Any reccomendations on a brand to look for, or even a specific amp? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
I have heard that the lower end epiphone's are not that great, the higher end ones though ($700) are decent though, but thats out of your price range. I tried one of the lower ends when I first started, and it wasn't great. I do recommend you try out the Ibanez ART 100, its a les paul style guitar and its regarded as an excellent beginner guitar.

As far as amps go, peavy, line 6, or vox. People here bash Line 6, but the spider IV's functionality (75W or higher) is amazing for beginners, it taught me alot about settings, amp models, pedal effects, etc. Of course any combo will do that, with the spider you will get a digital screen that helps. They sound fine, people here are biased for whatever reason, I was able to get great tones out of it (for the money).

If you want a Peavy, the Vyper series is good. As for Vox, I recently bought a VT40+ which is a hybrid (it has a tube pre-amp) and it sounds great. It's a modeling amp so you will get a million sounds, however, its a bit harder to figure out functionally but you will get used to it.

Price wise, an Ibanez ART will be $275-300, and an amp, depending on the brand will be $250-300

If you want something cheaper or different ill give you some different options, but for the money those are great.
Last edited by Kenjisan231 at Jul 23, 2011,
Hey thanks alot for responding,

I checked out your recommendations and the Vox VT20+ amp seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, its listed as $170 on the site. So well within my budget.

Guitar-wise I'm still kind of iffy on that Ibanez, always kinda thought they were geared more towards playing harder rock and metal. I did read up on the Epis though and most people agree that with a few slight modifications (changing strings and sometimes the pickups) on a Special II it does sound good, so I might still take a chance on that, or maybe a step up from that in the form of the LP-100 (only about $90 more than the Special II) I'll admit I am a bit biased towards Epiphone (The first guitar I played and the first one I owned were both Epis) but that chain I'm looking at buying my stuff from doesn't have much of a selection in the $300 or less range.

One other question though, the Long & Mcquade site shows that the Vox amp and all of the guitars I'm looking at are out of stock at the local store (and the only one in the province), ever since I've been checking (roughly the last 2 months) they have been out of stock, so I guess the store doesn't carry them, should I go into the store or call in and ask if they could order one in for me, or would I be better off just buying it direct from the online store? One final question, is a hardshell case a must buy?
try to get up to the epi les paul standard. i think that's the general consensus regarding the quality of the epis. the lp100 etc. aren't meant to be that great. if you have $700 it doesn't make much sense to cheap out to that extent, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
With Epiphone if you want a LP don't go below the Studio line. The G-400 is a great buy also if you don't mind SG body shapes. Regardless of what reviews say online The Special II and LP 100 are not to good, nor do they sound good ether. Yes they will get you started, but then you'll want a better guitar within a yr I will almost garantee it. I have the Epiphone G-400 Vintage and it is proly the best budget guitar I have ever came across($330 on L&M). It is deff worth getting a better guitar to learn/start on, just for the fact you'll save $$ in the long run.

EDIT: Yes a hard case is a great investment for any instument.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 24, 2011,
ah yeah maybe it's the studio where they start getting good, i can never remember. and yeah the sg400 is where the sgs start getting good.

Agreed, basically. And yeah don't trust reviews.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For an amp I'd recommend a Peavey Classic 20 or 30, I own the 30 and think it's the best amp for your price range although a 6150 might be nice if you think you might want really high gain. I don't know much about the quality of the 6150 though because I only played a friend's for about ten minutes.
Trust me, as a guy who owned a Epiphone LP 100 for 2 years, it is not a good guitar at all. The sound and feel of it are just horrible and it just wouldn't do you any justice. I would at least go for a Les Paul Standard. I have also had a couple experiences playing with the Epiphone Dot and it's a pretty nice starter guitar. Just watchout for some feedback problems and make sure you can test one out and see if it's the guitar for you.

As for an amp, any good modeling amp would do fine. I would personally go for the Vox Valvetronix amps as in my opinion and experience, they sound a lot better than most other modellers out there. The Fender Mustang is also pretty good and cheaper but I would still go for the Vox just for the fact that the Vox has much more tonal varieties and can do those tones pretty darn well.

If you really are dedicated to sticking with guitar, then getting a good guitar and amp will do you better in the long run since you'd be satisfied with good and adequate equipment rather than be dissatisfied and unmotivated with your cheap, low class equipment (aka me). Just recently I rid myself of my LP 100 and got a nice MIM Fender Strat and now I'm pretty happy and satisfied with my gear. So what I would do is buy an Epiphone LP Standard or an Epiphone Dot (not the studio version), and buy a decently cheap modelling amp. Once you start gigging later on, you will find out that the amp will become a very important asset and you will undoubtedly should have been able to save about another $500-$700 by then for a decently sized tube amp.

So, based on that website you gave, the best choices would be to get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard ($525) + a Vox VT20Plus ($170) which would equal you roughly $695 without tax or an Epi LP Std ($525) + Fender Mustang I ($119) which would then equal about $684.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Last edited by EncoreBlade at Jul 24, 2011,
I would consider going second hand for the guitar. You can get Epiphone LP Standards for pennies and they're fantastic guitars.

As for an amp, stay clear of Line 6 or Marshall MGs. I played a Spider 3 the other day and literally none of the pre-sets fitted the songs they were supposed to be modelling.
i think vyprs would be a good amp - has the rectifier setting.. good for early FF..
i've used one and the cleaner amps sound alright - useable for my younger brother (learning)

i've played alot of dots and i reckon they are really good quality for your money.

look on craigslist? second hand is really where the bargains are
For the amp, I would get a Roland cube 20xl. Cube amps are very reliable and are built to last. I've had my 15x for 4 years and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. It's got a great metal and clean tone. It's also good for rock. Check it out http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-20XL/
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 24, 2011,
If your set on an epiphone, like the posts here say, you have to spend a bit more. Its a huge jump, the lower model ones are terrible, but for an extra 100-200 dollars, there is a huge jump in quality. The Ibanez ART is extremely versatile, I had it for over a year and I could play blues, classical, metal, and just about anything.

I now have an ESP EC 1000 and I can still play almost anything, it won't sound as good as some guitars that are soley for a certain stlye of music. If you know how to modulate your sound you can do almost anything with most guitars, thats what is nice about electric.

If you really want an epiphone though, I've always thought it is important to get what you want the first time around. Just do some research online about the respective model if you can't try it out in the store. Sometime youtube will have videos of the model so you can hear the sound.

Good choice with the VT 20+ its just a smaller version of what I have. Like the others have said, you can try used guitars, most of them are pretty good.
Look the PRS Se, these are good. And I warmly recomend Line 6 Spider IV. I currently own a 15 watt and I love it. You cannot play with a drum and a full abnd, altough, you should get at least a 30watts.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Jul 24, 2011,
The Epiphone Dot can be a great guitar. The quality between them varies a bit though, so be sure to try one out before buying. And keep in mind that the Chinese made Dots have a fat neck, so if you have smaller hands, that might be an issue.

The VT20+ would be a good choice for an amp. My choice would be the Fender Mustang, though. You might want to look a bit further into that, too.

Good luck with the hunt!
Since you're a fan of LP copies, check out www.rondomusic.com

Possibly THE best LP copies for the money.

Any Agile would do you well.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Hey everyone, thanks for all of the quality responses, I think I may have finally made up my mind. Well, what I'll do first, is wait for my next paycheque (summer jobs suck) which I'll get this friday, I'll have doubled what money I have, and not feel so bad about spending over half of that.

The gear I've selected is as follows:
Epiphone ES-335 Dot ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/7528/Guitars/Hollow-body_Electric_Guitars/Epiphone/ES-335_Dot_-_Ebony.htm )

Vox VT20+ ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/10420/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Vox/VT20Plus_-_Modeling_Amp.htm )

And this case which is thje cheapest one they have ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1346/Guitars/Accessories/Yorkville_Sound/Hardshell_Rectangular_Guitar_Case.htm )

I'll also be picking up a strap (and maybe some Strap Locks just in case) and including taxes, the total comes out to about $750. My only real problem now is wondering if the local store will order the guitar and amp in for me (and if it'll cost me anything extra) cuz those aren't a part of their regular stock.

Thanks alot everybody!
Quote by Rock'N'Grohl
Hey everyone, thanks for all of the quality responses, I think I may have finally made up my mind. Well, what I'll do first, is wait for my next paycheque (summer jobs suck) which I'll get this friday, I'll have doubled what money I have, and not feel so bad about spending over half of that.

Epiphone ES-335 Dot ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/7528/Guitars/Hollow-body_Electric_Guitars/Epiphone/ES-335_Dot_-_Ebony.htm )

Vox VT20+ ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/10420/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Vox/VT20Plus_-_Modeling_Amp.htm )

And this case which is thje cheapest one they have ( http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1346/Guitars/Accessories/Yorkville_Sound/Hardshell_Rectangular_Guitar_Case.htm )

I'll also be picking up a strap (and maybe some Strap Locks just in case) and including taxes, the total comes out to about $750. My only real problem now is wondering if the local store will order the guitar and amp in for me (and if it'll cost me anything extra) cuz those aren't a part of their regular stock.

Thanks alot everybody!

Get a strap lock, i've almost cracked the neck on my first guitar because I didn't have one. It may feel secure but one swing and the strap will slip off. Strap locks are like $15 and make attaching the strap way easier.

As for a case, you don't need a hard shell. They are nice but I use a heavily padded one my girl friend had for her bass.

The store should order it for you for free, in my experience they always have. Call and ask for confirmation though. Also, you may want to look into a channel switch for the Vox. You won't need it right away but its nice to have, vox makes one specifically for your amp. When you open the box it will mention the footswitch in the instruction manual, worth checking out.
Quote by Rock'N'Grohl

Thanks alot everybody!

Good call on the VT-20 mate. I played one for about 9 months before I committed and got my tube amp - You won't be disappointed. I haven't had too much experience with the Dot, but I've heard good things. Happy playing!
I hear my train a comin'.
---------------------------------
Fender MIM Stratocaster + Fender 57/62 single coils
Agile AD-2300
Fender Blues Junior + MXR Custom '78 distortion
Really watch with the QC on the Dot's. I ordered one online from L&M and got one that had like a penny sized knot/hole-thing in the soundboard. I only found it after looking into the F-holes.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame