Can someone please explain to me, someone new to guitar playing, the difference between the 22 and 24 fret ESP LTD EC-1000 Les Paul copy. I understand that the guitars may sound different due to the different placement of the bridge pick-up from the original Les Paul? Am I really going to need another 2 frets playing classic rock? Could anyone sheed some light on the 22/24 fret difference? Thanks!
I used to play a guitar with 22 frets, then I switched to the 24 fret ESP you are describing. I don't remember ever needing the 24th fret with any songs, I only use it when I improvise. I believe some Lynyrd Skynyrd songs use the 24th fret but I don't know which one's specifically.

I didn't notice a sound difference based on the placement of the pickups, but that's just me. Depending on the way the guitar is cut/shaped depends on how easy the 24th fret is to get to, most of the time its annoying but you get used to it. To answer your question you don't need the 24th.
Not going to notice that much difference in tone. If you have the option for 24 and don't think it feels weird, might as well get that one. It's a lot easier to not play the 23 and 24th frets than have a 22-fret guitar and need the extra frets. If that makes sense..
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
^^^This, but it also makes it easier to hit the 18-22 frets since they aren't down quite as far.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
The effect it has is minimal when compared to the amount of impact your amp, pickups, wood type, and even playing style have on your sound.

EDIT:

Quote by JWD32792
^^^This, but it also makes it easier to hit the 18-22 frets since they aren't down quite as far.

Having 2 more or 2 fewer frets does not have any impact on the location of the other frets.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Jul 24, 2011,
Thanks for the input. I am taking it all your points into consideration. Does the fact the neck pickup is closer to the bridge have any effect on sound? I understand that Gibson carefully calculated the position of the pickups on the Les Paul for tone. If I understand correctly the 22 fret EC-1000 keeps the original pickup spacing.
Quote by Finger Cramp
Thanks for the input. I am taking it all your points into consideration. Does the fact the neck pickup is closer to the bridge have any effect on sound? I understand that Gibson carefully calculated the position of the pickups on the Les Paul for tone. If I understand correctly the 22 fret EC-1000 keeps the original pickup spacing.

As I said, the effect it has is minimal. I highly doubt that Gibson "carefully calculated" the position of the pickups.