Poll: Do you see something wrong with this?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you see something wrong with this?
Yes
61 52%
No
57 48%
Voters: 118.
Page 1 of 2
I was on facebook and noticed that a girl I went to high school with is in a relationship with a guy 11 years older than her! She is 18 and he is 29. Not only that, but now she is pregnant too. I haven't seen this girl in a long time so I found this shocking.

Anyways, what does the pit think about couples with a large age gap? An 18 year old is allowed to date (and bang) anyone their age or older because they are now legally an adult, but when does the age gap become too big? I think that 11 years seems too much for someone who just recently turned 18. A year ago this wouldn't have been cool especially with the pregnancy. In most cases, 18 year olds aren't all that much mature than 17 or 16 year olds.

This also says something about the guy that went for a MUCH younger girl. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. It makes me wonder how much younger he'd go if he could get away with it.

I don't know, I'm probably overreacting but like I said, I am shocked.

TL;DR: 29/2 +7 =/= 18
I personally don't think there should be an age limit as long as both parties are sexually mature.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Eric_Fail
I personally don't think there should be an age limit as long as both parties are sexually and psychologically mature.
Add the bolded bit in, and that's my opinion on the matter.
Quote by due 07
Add the bolded bit in, and that's my opinion on the matter.

Yeah I suppose psychologically too, but how can you really tell if you are psychologically mature enough to have sex?
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
18/2 + 7 =/= 13 but i did it anyway. then i killed him and ran.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
i dont think there is anything wrong with it unless the girl (or guy but that never happens) is getting married because they want a chance to inherit large sums of moneys from a near death person.
Couldn't really care less tbh. It's their life, especially if they're 18 and they're not breaking any laws.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Eric_Fail
Yeah I suppose psychologically too, but how can you really tell if you are psychologically mature enough to have sex?

You can't. That's why we just have to pick a number and roll with it.

OT: Legally they're in the clear, but I still think it's a shady thing to do. Would we be cool with it if he was 28 and she was 17? Probably not.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 24, 2011,
They can make decisions for themselves, for the most part numerical age is incredibly arbitrary and silly.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by StewieSwan

Well I don't agree with it, it should be up to the person to decide if they are mature enough. If they have to learn the hard way that they aren't ready then so be it.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
She could have done it earlier and be on MTV Teen Mom Now she's just going to be a normal single mom once he ditch her or divorce her 5 years in.
Well, I'm normally against such big gaps, but at the same time I do believe that if both parties are mature enough to decide what they wanna do, they should go for it.
That being said, my parents have a 13 year difference, and my mom was 19 when they got married. Creeps the hell out of me xD
Quote by sticksause

This also says something about the guy that went for a MUCH younger girl. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. It makes me wonder how much younger he'd go if he could get away with it.

You think too much.

Got a sister?
Being 19 does not mean you aren't gullible and prone to mistake. Just out of high school, we're all idiots. Early to mid-twenties is when shit like that stops being weird and creepy to me. Depending on the maturity level of the younger person, that is.

There's a guy around here who is in his 50s and married a chick from my old high school a few years ago. She was 17 or 18, but it's still incredibly gross. They make out in public and it seems like he treats her like she's his puppet. In restaurants he ALWAYS talks for her.

That kind of stuff is no good, and happens more often than functional age gapped relationships i'd bet.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by StewieSwan

OT: Legally they're in the clear, but I still think it's a shady thing to do. Would we be cool with it if he was 28 and she was 17? Probably not.

That's my concern. 18 is just a meaningless number.
Quote by StewieSwan

But would this even enter anyones mind if it was 38 and 27?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra

The difference is that you are still a kid at 18. You are not a kid at 27. It just seems to me like this guy is taking advantage of a young girl's naivety.
Quote by StewieSwan
The difference is that you are still a kid at 18. You are not a kid at 27.

Some people act like kids at 27, some 18 year olds act like adults. Numerical age has nothing to do with how mature someone is.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by jambi_mantra

Usually 27 year olds are more mature and less naive than 18 year olds. It's not about age so much as about maturity. There may be exceptions, but in general 18 year olds are dumbasses.
When I was 15, I was at this birthday party. This one girl I knew told me she was proud of herself because she remained faithful to her boyfriend during the party. I asked how old her boyfriend is, and she said 19. I was surprised. A 19 year old dating a 15 year old. That is messed up. Great job to the girl, but what is wrong with a guy that is 19 dating a 15 year old? He was most likely in college or university with fully developed girls his own age.
So yeah. The age gap is weird at a young age, but when you reach university, it becomes less of a strange thing.
Quote by rgrockr
Some people act like kids at 27, some 18 year olds act like adults. Numerical age has nothing to do with how mature someone is.

So a 5-year-old can be more mature than a 50-year-old? Right.
Quote by Eric_Fail
You can't really. I think it's up to the older party to use their best judgement.
A girl in my grad class was dating some guy who looked at least 25. All sorts of rumors circulated putting his age anywhere from 21-29. Never did find out how old he was, exactly. He came with her to prom despite the school's faculty specifically stating they wouldn't let anyone 20+ in. Anyway it was quite weird.
Quote by rgrockr

Age certainly does have to do with maturity, in MOST cases. You'd be stupid to believe that there is no more of a correlation between an older person and maturity than a young person and maturity. It's fact, life experience generally leads to maturity.
Quote by Avedas
A girl in my grad class was dating some guy who looked at least 25. All sorts of rumors circulated putting his age anywhere from 21-29. Never did find out how old he was, exactly. He came with her to prom despite the school's faculty specifically stating they wouldn't let anyone 20+ in. Anyway it was quite weird.

My ex left me for a guy that was only a few months older than me.
Apparently he looked old enough to walk into any LCBO and not be carded. His penmanship was that of a toddler though.
Quote by StewieSwan
The difference is that you are still a kid at 18. You are not a kid at 27. It just seems to me like this guy is taking advantage of a young girl's naivety.

You're not a kid at 18.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Legal adult =/= adult maturity

Age doesn't matter remember?
Quote by Extra Ordinary
When I was 15, I was at this birthday party. This one girl I knew told me she was proud of herself because she remained faithful to her boyfriend during the party. I asked how old her boyfriend is, and she said 19. I was surprised. A 19 year old dating a 15 year old. That is messed up. Great job to the girl, but what is wrong with a guy that is 19 dating a 15 year old? He was most likely in college or university with fully developed girls his own age.
So yeah. The age gap is weird at a young age, but when you reach university, it becomes less of a strange thing.

"messed up" really? A little out of the ordinary maybe but that's a bit OTT. I really don't understand people's problems with two young people dating that have a few years difference between them. I'm young too but of the people I know from age 16 - 20 there are probably just as much, maybe a little less immature 20 year olds as there are 16 year olds. I don't think there is as much difference between 19 and 15 as people make it out to be, in the grand scheme of things they are both young and naive.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Zoot Allures
I'm not talking about the legal age of adulthood. I'm talking about everything. You are not a kid at 18.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
I'm not talking about the legal age of adulthood. I'm talking about everything. You are not a kid at 18.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Quote by jambi_mantra
You're not a kid at 18.
By many definitions of 'kid' you are.
Quote by jambi_mantra

You can sure as hell act like one at 18 though.
I guess if you wanna get semantic about it. You're still a teenager. Teenagers are horomonal and stupid.
I dated a 32 year old woman at 16, and it was pretty chill. And I wouldn't even have called myself a mature teenager to be honest.
I couldn't care less about age differences. To each their own, live and let live
Quote by Eric_Fail
"messed up" really? A little out of the ordinary maybe but that's a bit OTT. I really don't understand people's problems with two young people dating that have a few years difference between them. I'm young too but of the people I know from age 16 - 20 there are probably just as much, maybe a little less immature 20 year olds as there are 16 year olds. I don't think there is as much difference between 19 and 15 as people make it out to be, in the grand scheme of things they are both young and naive.

Age of consent here is 16.
Quote by due 07
By many definitions of 'kid' you are.

By many definitions of 'kid' you aren't.

Quote by Avedas
You can sure as hell act like one at 18 though.

You can act like one at 35, doesn't make it any different.

At 18 you're old enough to make decisions about your own life, whether they're right or wrong is irrelevent. If she chose to date someone 11 years older, there's nothing 'wrong' with it.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I'm 18 and dating a 16 year old. What are you trying to say?

Keep in mind were both still in high school and she's just a class below me, so it's not as different as it seems.
I pride myself on my humility.
Page 1 of 2