Ok so here's the deal, i went out and bought various packs of strings. Here's what i have Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies (10's), D'addario XL Nickel Wound 10's, and DR Tite-Fit 10's (Also a pack of DR neon Orange for fun )

Here is what i am goin to do. Try all strings, test, stretch, beat the hell, out of all the types. And theeeeennn report back to you guys to tell you my personal prefence!

Now musical wise i play everything. Hard rock, Metal, Van Halen, Jazz, GnR, the works. And i am out to find a set that can do it all (of 10's of course).

I am using a Schecter C-1+ w/ EMG's.

1. Ernie Balls! Regular Slinkies.
A crowd favorite and renowned favorite string of choice. Also very cheap.
Here's my take.

Good string set, very harsh on my fingers, the tone is not bad. My thing is they arn't very "slinky". The schecter is a 24.75 something something scale and that means strings should be more loose right? I did not like that fact that these did not feel very loose and comfortbale. Still play very nicely though

2. DR Tit-Fit 10's
My take.

Out of the package- great, smooth nice feel to them. It took me two tunings of like 20 seconds to get these bad boys to stay in tune with heavy riffage.

After awhile though you notice the tone.. Idk maybe its just me but even though they hurt to play, the Ernie's sounded much better. These sound like they are too bright i guess? I dont know. if the D'addario's suck, im coming back to these I have high hopes for them though.

3. D'addario 10's
Wow. These by far superior the previous. They bend like a champ, they sound great and they FEEL LIKE PART OF THE FRETBOARD!!! Ok well they arnt my perfect strings, but for now they will do quite nicely. Let the world know that D'addario are my personal faves!!

4. DR Neon Orange
Ok, these things are cool as eff, light up in a blacklight, and are fricken orange people. They actually play and sound pretty great too!

98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Sorta cool man. Never really seen a string thread quite like this one. Most of them are pretty useless. Maybe next time you could do sound clips and a video to show the bends. That would be cool.

2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I really like slinkies because of their harshness on the fingers that and they sound very crisp
Quote by Skullivan
Do you have a list of all the strings you will be using?

Its up there dude DR Tite-fit 10's, D'addario XL Nickel wound 10's, Ernie Ball Regular slinkies, and DR Neon Orange 10's
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by Skullivan
Do you have a list of all the strings you will be using?

lol good reading
Quote by EVH-SETH
Its up there dude DR Tite-fit 10's, D'addario XL Nickel wound 10's, Ernie Ball Regular slinkies, and DR Neon Orange 10's

Sorry,
I kinda just lasered off that first line from my reading sight. Boy do I feel stupid.
I tried Ernie's for a while, didn't dig them to be honest. I went right back to playing D'Addario XL 10's and I love them!
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I'm kind of surprised at how much you like the D'addarios...I always found them way too stiff and dark sounding.
If you feel like testing more, try out some pure nickels. I just put DR Pure Blues on my Les Paul and it's a totally different experience from Slinkies.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
i haven't tried the DRs yet. When i first saw them i figured they would suck and be like gimmicky but from a lot of the reviews they seem like solid performers. I might have to get a set of pink ones for my hello kitty shredder.
Quote by zenbone
i haven't tried the DRs yet. When i first saw them i figured they would suck and be like gimmicky but from a lot of the reviews they seem like solid performers. I might have to get a set of pink ones for my hello kitty shredder.

And ill get a set of green ones for my Mojo Jojo shredder!!! no seriously dude. i have one.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
i did a science experiment in 8th grade about which brand vibrates the longest. i should find that info again.
Quote by EVH-SETH
And ill get a set of green ones for my Mojo Jojo shredder!!! no seriously dude. i have one.

Oh my god!

That's a real thing!

Can you get d addarios in 9-42's?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
Can you get d addarios in 9-42's?

Yeppers.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
Yeppers.

Link?

Nevermind.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 24, 2011,
I've used quite a few sets of D'Addario strings and have liked them. I got a bunch of Dunlop strings a while back though so I've been using them and they're pretty good too.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I've used a lot of different types of strings, because none really were what I wanted. Some sounded dull, others didn't last long. Then I payed almost double the price for strings and bought Elixirs, which were hands down the best strings I've used. Feel and tone is nice and they last for ages.
You might give them a try if you are still not perfectly happy about what you use.
Ernies I found were alright to start with but went from very bright to dead in a flash.

D'addario XL10s are what I've used for the most part of my life and I like them. Generally well balanced and sound good when mellowed out.

As mentioned in another thread I've moved on to roundcore Pyramids and I don't think I'm gna look back. German strings FTW.
I'm using DR oranges right now... they play alright, but they are the dullest strings I have ever heard(no sustain at all).

My favorites have always been elixers.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Jul 24, 2011,
cool man.

but couldnt you have picked some unique strings?

i mean everybody who has played long enough for 3-4 string changes has used EB, daddario and DR.

try some elixer, EXP, blue steels, Boomers, etc etc
Quote by ikey_
cool man.

but couldnt you have picked some unique strings?

i mean everybody who has played long enough for 3-4 string changes has used EB, daddario and DR.

try some elixer, EXP, blue steels, Boomers, etc etc

EXP's are by far D'Addarios best strings, best coated string on the market, puts Elixirs to shame. Feels like brand new non-coated strings, yet doesn't ever rust. They are bright and have a huge bottom end right out of the box for a month or two, depending on how often you play them. I've been using them for a few years, have yet to break one.

Blue Steels, are meh, not the best, not the greatest, prolly one of the worst coated strings out there, I wouldn't even say they are coated, they rust easily, and the tone is bright for only a few weeks, then they become dull.

GHS Boomers are nice, I quite liked those strings, resembles D'Addiraos in alot of ways, feel, tone, durability.

Try Roto Sound if you like the D'Addiraos, they are just like them, but better.
I guess I'll have to try EXP's.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by zenbone
AWESOME... pics please! here is kitty, complete with some wicked seymour duncan invaders

The Mojo Jojo Shredder... In all its glory..
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
i find d'addario really hard to bend. i myself use gibson brite wires, i like the bit top end and they fel real nice to my hands. i recognized them when i went in to buy my gibson les paul and i asked the guy what strings were on god i fell in love. my second would be d'addario and ernie ball though.

as for the orange neon strings they're not really usefull as you tend to play shows or practise in the lights. they look fun though XD

also about the guys talking about elixer, they're probably the worst strings i've ever tried. coating and shit commercial junk, they broke on my first bend.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Jul 25, 2011,
I used GHS and then D'addario. I settled with the D'addario for awhile until I tried the DRs... I haven't looked back.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by fly135
I use the cheapest strings on the planet...

How much is the shipping though?
Quote by kutless999
How much is the shipping though?

Free on MusiciansFriend!
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985
Free on MusiciansFriend!

Hmm...

I might just try those strings!

How are they fly, compared to ernie ball?
Quote by kutless999
Hmm...

I might just try those strings!

How are they fly, compared to ernie ball?
Heck I don't know. I just use them.

Shipping is only free when you buy a $100 worth of stuff. Unless they have a free shipping special going on. I usually stock up on strings when I buy some other stuff. Got a drawer loaded with them right now.