Pretty much what the title says. I've got an old beater electric and I'm thinking about converting into it a lap steel. 1) Is this even possible? 2) What would I need to do it, other than a slide?

Thanks all.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
the special slide they use for lap steel guitars it doesnt slide onto your finger like a ring . it sort of like a metal bar in which your index and ring fingers sit on the side of and your middle finger is on top of it , and it is alot heavier than a normal slide too
I geuss youll wanna find a way to get the strings further away from the fretboard
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by jose1216
if you put them too high might that mess up the innotation?

Intonation is pretty much irrelevant on slide guitars. Think about it.
well he is gonna have to depend on the frets the show him where to put the slide and if the Intonation is messed up then its gonna be out of tune so he will have to play slightly higher or lower than the frets
thats what ears are for
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by jpnyc
Intonation is pretty much irrelevant on slide guitars. Think about it.

this is so true
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by 300total

First off, this. Secondly, what kind of guitar is it? If it's a tune-o-matic bridge, or something to that effect, it might just be as simple as raising the strings and getting a dobro slide.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Thanks guys, especially 300total. I'd love to be able to still use it for standard playing and that extension nut seems to be just the thing.

JustRooster: It's a Laguna starter guitar, with a Strat-style tremolo bridge. I suppose I'll need to block off the tremolo, which isn't a problem regardless of conversion since I never use it. Are there any other modifications that I'll need to make? I know my ignorance is showing.

EDIT: Are there any particular strings that work best for lap steel?
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Last edited by jwd724 at Jul 24, 2011,