Page 1 of 2
Hey Pit. I was just thinking of how much my musical interest has changed.
In the beginning I was all for classic rock and hated any modern music.
Now my favorite bands are Alter Bridge, Anarchy Club, and Celldweller.

Any of you gone through this weird musical phase?

The Celldweller thing recently happened. I usually hate music like that but for some reason I love Klayton's music.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
Favorite bands over two years:
Dragonforce, Metallica, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, QUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEENNNN.
EDIT: I went from speed, to metal, to rock shred, to crazy shred, to pop shred, to pop/rock.
Last edited by Skullivan at Jul 24, 2011,
I used to exclusively listen to Tchaikovsky and audiotapes of paul krugman lectures, but now my interests have shifted more towards ICP and Radiohead
In 5th grade I got into classic and 80s rock, and had a strong disdain for modern rock, with a few exceptions (I liked Nirvana, and they have been my favorite band for a few years now). However, towards the end of 8th grade I had a huge crush on a girl who was one of my best friends (still is) and her favorite band at the time was My Chemical Romance. The only song I had heard by them before was the Ghost of You, and didn't really like it (it grew on me after I got into them). I saw the music video for I'm Not Okay, fell in love with it, bought their Life on the Murder Scene box set, and it blew open the doors for me to modern music. My tastes are much more varied now. I also got into Slipknot at that time, which got me into metal, and Bullet for my Valentine, which got me into the Hardcore forum on UG, and now *prefix*-core music is my favorite style.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Started on Classic Rock through my middle school years. Favorite band was Rush. Then a Metallica phase.

Then, my sophomore year of high school, I started branching out. I got an ear for classical music. Then I started getting soft and listening to bands like Dispatch, State Radio, soft Pearl Jam (etc.)

Junior year I got into some good rap (wu tang, del tha funkee homosapien) and even more obscure genres like super progressive stuff.

Now after my senior year, I'm really into bebop and modal jazz. I'm a sucker for any type of ska, but especially 1st wave and streetlight manifesto. Just recently I got into bruno mars and maroon 5...no clue why. And I gained a new-found love for 90s music. I guess I'm just reaching for nostalgia or something.

EDIT: My favorite band is still Rush!
Whether I am a hungry rabbit or a frightened carrot, my home is the same.
I remember a time when my absolute favourite band was Green Day.
It then moved to Led Zeppelin when I started taking bass lessons and learned Dazed and Confused.
It moved to classic prog and prog metal, mostly prog metal all through high-school.
Now I can listen to whatever, but I've grown very much more fond of jazz, funk, r&b, and hip-hop. Especially hip-hop.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
This is normal. Although I think my musical interest span is kinda unusual, because I always seem to go back to the mighty Metallica about two weeks after I start listening to something else... not that I'm complaining about it
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Has happened twice...used to not be able to stand growls/screams, but then my friend waned me on to Meshuggah. Don't mind the style of vocals as much now, but for me to enjoy it, the screamer has to be good at what he/she does, has to sound "right" to me.

Also happened with rap music. Used to not be able to stand it, but then enjoyed about half of Jay-Z's The Blueprint III, and now have expanded more into that world, but moreso into older rap/hip-hop (NWA, De La Soul, J-Dilla, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc)
Musical things I do
http://www.youtube.com/user/CGuitar2112

GEAR
Ibanez RG 7421
Ibanez S470DXQM - Viking Red
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 828 RN
Greg Bennet Custom
Peavey Raptor I
Atomic Reactor 112 Amp
Line 6 POD HD w/ MkII Express
My interests changed like this:

Alternative rock -> classic rock -> Instrumental shred (Satriani, Malmsteen, Gilbert) -> then I started listening to a lot of classical (Bach, Vivaldi, Chopin) -> then listened to a lot of progressive (DT, Pagan's Mind) -> now I've moved away from instrumental and more towards symphonic and folk-ish metal (Adagio, Ensiferum, Rhapsody of Fire, Equilibrium, Wintersun, Kivimetsan Druidi)

Basically after I discovered Malmsteen, most of the music I've listened to has included some classical elements. But I've moved away from the instrumental classical style and further towards a Nordic and fantasy (dragons, sword-fighting, and other shit) kind of style.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Last edited by YngwieLi at Jul 24, 2011,
Pop (radio shit) > Rock (AC/DC) > Metal (Metallica) > Heavier Metal (Opeth, In Flames, Meshuggah, etc.)
Sail upon the open skies
Started off with dad-rock sorta stuff because of my parents. Then i borrowed some Nirvana CDs from a friend and listened to them non-stop for like 2 years, along with other grunge bands.

That got me into the whole stoner music scene, which led me to meeting some new people in high school. I hung out with these guys, smoked weed for the first time and was introduced to the Flaming Lips, Grizzly Bear, Modest Mouse, and a bunch of other indie sorts of bands.

Then I started listening to progressively weirder and weirder music (relatively speaking), slowly taking a more and more electronic bent. Now I listen to almost exclusively electronic music.
I went from listening to exclusively Metallica to listening to a shit ton of different bands. Iron Maiden, Kanye West, The Doors, The Roots, Jay-Z, Pendulum, Run DMC, Stevie Ray Vaughn, it's all good.
I never really stopped listening to anything, I just listen to more and more as time passes.
RHCP has always been my favorite though.
cat
In short, I started from hating what I love now and loving everything else to hating everything else and loving what I hated then. That's life.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
In the past it was pretty sparatic. I kept jumping around from techno,electronic,metal,rock,blues etc etc. The primary things I listened to a year ago were Metallica, AC/DC, RHCP, Megadeth, Iron Maiden.

Now all I listen to is RHCP, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Symphony X. These 4 bands fill my musical needs. Hell, Dream Theater alone does it. Couple of months ago all I listened to was Dream Theater.
I only listen to Pat Boone. Everything else is the work of Satan.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
My interest in musicals?

Zero, as it should be.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I started of with NOTHING but Metallica for like 2 years and now Im listening to Death,Black,Symphonic,Folk Metal. J-pop/rock, Classical music, traditional japanese music. Ska Punk.
Quote by element4433
My interest in musicals?

Zero, as it should be.

Wicked's kinda sorta really good...

>_>
Radio stuff > blink-182 > Tool > Disturbed > -core > Progressive Metal/core

Give or take a couple bands/styles that I was interested in for a short time.
I'm basically hooked on progressive stuff nowadays.
I listen to a lot of Post-Rock and Ambient stuff too, that's a pretty recent thing as well.

EDIT:

Quote by element4433
My interest in musicals?

Zero, as it should be.

This. So this.
Started out listening to 80's metal....

I now listen to just about anything under the sun
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Mainstream rock->80's rock->80's metal->Current

Currently favorites are Celldweller and NiN.

Quote by mustaine42

In the beginning I was all for classic rock and hated any modern music.
Now my favorite bands are Alter Bridge, Anarchy Club, and Celldweller.

Last edited by 37 Narwhals at Jul 24, 2011,
My taste is always changing.

The biggest change is how I play music. I started out trying to be a generic 13 year old nu-metal guitarist. Now I'm learning piano, I'm going to start learning to sing, I've become interested in flamenco guitar, I want to play electronic music, and overall I play a larger variety of genres.
This is a rough graph I made demonstrating my 'musical interest'.

As you can see, I have gotten increasingly more interested in quality music throughout the years. Indeed, my interest in quality music has been growing rather exponentially -- that is, except for a two or three year stint that I listened to The Beatles too much wherein my progress obviously stagnated -- and it shows no signs of coming to a halt. Only time will tell what's in store for the future, though. (Side note: the units I use to measure 'quality' are approximated and ultimately arbitrary.)
Mainstream Pop > Rap > Hard Rock > Various Metal subgenres > Mainstream Pop again (my favorite music for almost three years now)

Turns out I had it right when I was a kid.
Quote by blake1221
Zach, give us a base unit. What band would comprise a 60?
Well, The Beatles, in solitude, are a solid '40'. I'd say with a '60', you're looking at the second Arctic Monkeys album, the first few Oasis albums, et cetera... it's pretty elementary stuff. I'd say about 80 or 90 is Brand New territory, and that's when things get serious.

EDIT: This song is a good example of a 60: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbXXIRPEyk&feature=related
Last edited by due 07 at Jul 24, 2011,
I used to only listen to Chinese music and some Japanese rock, then a horrible artiste came along, tugging along 2 of the worst songs in the history of music. Then I ditched Chinese music altogether for a few years.

I started to listen to a lot of Japanese rock, and Guitar Hero 3 got me into some metal. I then drifted towards listening to only metal.

Recently I'm more into progressive metal, instrumental rock and some pop and some of the old Chinese music that I listen to. I'm foreseeing I'll be very big into classical music because I'm learning classical piano at the moment.
When I was really young all I heard was the pop and country that my mom had playing on the radio. When I discovered Metallica it opened up a whole new world of music. So when I was a kid and teenager I almost exclusively to metal, like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, and The Berzerker. I guess around the time I was 20 is when I opened up more to classic rock such as the Stones and Pink Floyd, as well as modern rock like Creed who I used to hate but never really knew why. I also admit I like quite a few recent pop and hiphop artists. Even though those scenes still pack a lot of garbage, they're better than they were when I was growing up, IMO. So basically I jumped off of a "Metal only, f*** everything else!" bandwagon and began forming my own opinions.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Jul 24, 2011,
Terrible pop punk > rock > metal > death metal/black metal > proggy/more experimental metal > electronic music > hip hop

Well, I listen to a lot of things, but hip hop is just my current favourite genre
When I was like in 6th grade (just when I got my first guitar heh) I got into some Metallica and Linkin Park... Now I pretty much listen to anything rock or metal I kinda hate LP now though.
Professional lurker since 2009.
justin bieber
justin bieber
justin bieber
justin bieber
justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

justin bieber

Rihanna
Quote by due 07
Well, The Beatles, in solitude, are a solid '40'. I'd say with a '60', you're looking at the second Arctic Monkeys album, the first few Oasis albums, et cetera... it's pretty elementary stuff. I'd say about 80 or 90 is Brand New territory, and that's when things get serious.

EDIT: This song is a good example of a 60: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbXXIRPEyk&feature=related

I swear that song could be on the Mary Kate and Ashley Sweet Sixteen game soundtrack. o_o I know I've heard it on their before, just know it!

Well, as for my musical evolution...

I started out with no interest in music till I was around 12. I found my sisters cd player and fell in love with the pop and hip hop that was on it, and thus began my journey.

After time went on I started to want more so I decided to turn my radio on while I did homework, and I got instantly hooked to bands like Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, and Finger Eleven. After listening to the radio I found more and more bands in the same vein as the aforementioned, and I loved every minute of it. <3

Eventually, I found something, I had been listening to the radio and several songs came on in a row that I hadn't heard before. Almost Easy, Tears Don't Fall, and The Bleeding, I then looked into these songs very much and downloaded them quickly, thus getting me into slightly heavier bands than before.

Now after getting into these bands so far, something called to me that said I should learn an instrument, however, I did not realize this, but I began playing Guitar Hero at my friends house and became addicted. I bought GH2 from my Christmas money and played it ferociously, eventually being able to play on expert, my dream at the time. Upon looking at the song lists on GH2, I found favorites; Beast And The Harlot, Six, The Light That Blinds, Laid To Rest, and Thunderhorse, these are the songs that led me into Nu-Metalcore acts.

Time went on and I found the band Atreyu. I heard their song Right Side Of The Bed, and when the solo came I knew what I wanted to do, learn to play guitar. I asked for a guitar for my 13th birthday, in which I got a simple Washburn starter guitar and took up lessons. After almost a year of guitar, something huge hit me, I had found UG and I saw a "This month in Metal" article, and checked it out. By this time I had heard bands such as All That Remains, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, ect. but I never pursued them except for a few songs. In this article, were new albums by All That Remains, Sylosis, Unearth, Cynic, and Trivium, I DL'd all of them, but one album was left that I had skimmed over; The Holographic Universe by Scar Symmetry. This album was the album that made my musical tastes explode, I listened to it and it instantly became my favorite album in the world, I still love it very much. Upon hearing it, I found out it was considered Melodic Death Metal, and thus I scowered this genre of music, getting into In Flames, Soilwork, Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Blood Stain Child, ect. And I finally entered Metal.

Time went on and I got better at guitar, I found new bands here and there but my tastes stagnated as I focused more on the bands I already knew, but then, in the past year my musical taste took an immense evolution. In the past year I have aquired tastes for Suffocation, Demigod, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, Sergei Prokofiev, Mimosa, The Glitch Mob, Anton Webern, Pendulum, Sabicas, Marcio Escureda, Ayreon, Dismember, The Gaslight Anthem, King Crimson, Azriel, Converge, Between The Buried And Me, O.S.I., Pusicifer, Quo Vadis, Russian Circles, Abadawn, Jedi Mind Tricks, I Am Abomination, and many many others, most notably, Vehemence.

So, to conclude, I have gotten over some of the music of before,(Three Days Grace, Finger Eleven, Akon) but I still keep some of it 'cause it still sounds great to me(Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Avenged Sevenfold). In general, everything I've liked, I still like and listen to, I've just reached a mass amount of music, and am still getting into more.
I found myself liking poppy sounding stuff at a younger age, but then I moved on to less peppy and more classical oriented.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Classic rock: Led Zeppelin, Queen (whatever my parents listened to)

Green Day type stuff ( this is when I first started getting into music)

Some stuff that's a little harder, like Rise Against, System of a Down

Big A7X stage. This got me into playing the guitar more seriously.

Now I'm into progressive rock and metal stuff like Protest the Hero and Periphery.

I don't really move on from other stuff though. Anything that I have listened to in the past I pretty much still listen to now, plus a lot of other stuff I didn't list like Eminem, Arcade Fire, The Beatles.

Oh, and I play classical music on the piano
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 24, 2011,
Page 1 of 2