hey guys, im lookkin for an amp that will do good early metallica and GNR sounds. tones like you would hear on appetite and puppets albums.

my price is up to $500 and I'm playing through a les paul custom elitist.

I prefer it to be a combo and 1x12 or 2x12 speakers. I woouldnt mind a head+cab if its still sounds goood.
Quote by Austin174
I would look at the peavey 6505+ combo.

Will a 6505+ do Marshall tones? I thought it was a modern American voiced amp.
Quote by jpnyc
Will a 6505+ do Marshall tones? I thought it was a modern American voiced amp.

It won't, and that's why I'd advise him not to get it.
Where's Waldo?
definatley not a 6505..... sounds like your along the lines of a Jet City (used obviously) choose your wattage with a nice OD u can go from your british crunch to your early metallica tones.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Blackstar HT-20. I play the same kind of music. I have the HT-20 and am very happy with it. You may have to get it used but new it's maybe possible. All tube, and believe me, 20 watts is plenty loud. Go to youtube and watch the video how to sound like Metallica for less than 1000. It is the last amp they play at the end of video 1 and starts off video 2. They compare several different amps and they pick the Blackstar and Marshall MA.
^ I couldn't believe how nice the HT sounded compared to the rest. I thought it beat the MA.
Orange Tiny Terror? It's awesome for classic rock. It's pretty limited, but I had one and really liked it. Definitely look into it.
Marshall Haze15 w head--probably have to get a used one, but it will do the GnR easily and with an OD pedal will capture early Metallica
Quote by Austin174
I would look at the peavey 6505+ combo.

NO NO NO, I gotta give it to you 6505 guys, even if it will not get any where near the tone they are looking for it's the first damn answer you give.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
NO NO NO, I gotta give it to you 6505 guys, even if it will not get any where near the tone they are looking for it's the first damn answer you give.

Like I told another UGer, for some people the answer to everything in the universe is 6505+ and not 42.

Q: "can I skip school today."
A: "6505"

Q: "can I study surfing in college."

Q: "do take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Q: "give me your money or i'll stab you"
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Like I told another UGer, for some people the answer to everything in the universe is 6505+ and not 42.

Q: "can I stuff surfing in college."

That is awesome!!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Jet City JCA and a Boost

And I really strong say: NOT the 6505.

It is an american voice, very modern high gain amp. Thrash and 80's rock had a more British voice. Marshall's were most common.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jul 24, 2011,
so basically its down to the blackstar ht-20 and the jet city? would the ht-20 need a pedal? from the videos ive seen on youtube i kinda like that sound a bit more. the jet city seems a bit thin sounding right?
I like the Jet City, but don't like the Blackstar at all. But it is preference in the end.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Jet City over Blackstar any day. First time I tried the Blackstar I liked it a lot, the second time I thought it was meh and it just went downhill everytime I tried it from there.

First time I tried the Jet City 20w I thought it was meh and everytime I tried it from there I liked it more and more and more. Especially if you put a boost on it, than its sick. The 50w and 100w versions are amazing amps for the price.
there is a pretty nice gap in price between the Jet City and blackstar (depending on how many watts your getting). i would go with the jet city because ive played both and i really like the jet city over the blackstar. the final stage for u to decide which amp is to go and play both!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
definatley not a 6505..... sounds like your along the lines of a Jet City (used obviously) choose your wattage with a nice OD u can go from your british crunch to your early metallica tones.

The 20 will get you closer to GnR, but the 50 and 100 are good choices as well.

Blackstar is a great option as well.

Oh,

Quote by ragingkitty

Q: "can I stuff surfing in college."

SIGGED
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Peavey Windsor might do the trick. it's a single channel amp (but so are a couple of the other options given). uses EL34 tubes and does a reasonable marshall imitation.
any good videos of the jet city doing metal? i heard one of the newer heads doing hard rock and it sounded great, but still trying to fidn a good metal demo
Get the HT-20. It's much more versatile than the Jet City. MUCH more versatile. And 2 channels doesn't hurt either.

With the Blackstar, you can get both sounds with no pedals needed.

With the Jet City, you'll have to use an OD pedal and then mess with settings a ton when switching from a Metallica to GnR tone. You also won't have a true clean channel, especially not at high volumes.

Don't get me wrong, both amps are great, but for what you want, the HT-20 is the better choice hands down.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by NosralTserrof
Oh,

SIGGED

My rant got sigged?

O.o

Oh well

Haha didn't see the typo on the second one it should be:
Q: "can I study surfing in college?"
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
My rant got sigged?

O.o

Oh well

Haha didn't see the typo on the second one it should be:

you did another typo
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by crazygnr1996
any good videos of the jet city doing metal? i heard one of the newer heads doing hard rock and it sounded great, but still trying to fidn a good metal demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PHh_aIwQY&feature=related
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Tunder250
you did another typo

Huh? Where?

Damnit, I eat my words when we ripped on the UGer who was in hospital and posting from his iPad... damnit, I didn't realise you can make so many typos on that thing.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

Q: "can I skip school toda?."

you did like this

and it's like:

Quote by ragingkitty
Like I told another UGer, for some people the answer to everything in the universe is 6505 and not 42.

Q: "can I skip school today?"

you understand?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig: