...because it would take you all freaking day to change the strings!!!

It just took me a little over an hour to do three guitars (1 acoustic and 2 electrics)... Yea I spent time cleaning, inspecting, and stretching/breaking in, but my god, some of you guys on here have ten or more guitars, it must be like having a part time job just changing those damn things...
Quote by thfc1799
...because it would take you all freaking day to change the strings!!!

It just took me a little over an hour to do three guitars (1 acoustic and 2 electrics)... Yea I spent time cleaning, inspecting, and stretching/breaking in, but my god, some of you guys on here have ten or more guitars, it must be like having a part time job just changing those damn things...

Well I've got 5 guitars, and I've never changed the strings on all of them at once.
That's why locking tuners are great. It takes me about five minutes to change strings on a guitar with good locking tuners.
Well I broke a sting on my strat last night, and it has been a little while since any of them had been changed, so I figured I'd just knock them all out... regardless, I was joking, obviously I didn't really think that someone would sit down with 12 guitars and change all the strings...
Yeah, it wouldn't be very productive. Plus, depending on the strings, you'd be paying like $100 for them.
Where's Waldo?
Nott as bad as my mate's Dad. he is in a pretty succesful band and he uses three 12 strings, all in different tunings. Imagine restringing that shit, then tuning them.......He changes strings once a week, but like I said, he's in a pretty succesful band.
Quote by T7E
Nott as bad as my mate's Dad. he is in a pretty succesful band and he uses three 12 strings, all in different tunings. Imagine restringing that shit, then tuning them.......He changes strings once a week, but like I said, he's in a pretty succesful band.

God that would be a nightmare... lol, you would almost spend more time restringing/tuning then actually playing!
Quote by Darkflame
My 14th is arriving in a few months and I can't wait

14!!! Surely half of those don't even get played right? I can't imagine ever really needing more than 4 or 5... On the other hand, that is pretty sweet
I know the feeling. I have over 12 stringed instruments, and strings are a pain. I have been using Rotosounds, and it seems that they lose their ability to stay in tune after 6 or so months, regardless of how often I play them.

I currently have broken strings on both my acoustics, and I just changed out the strings on my Ibanez and strat. And I have another guitar arriving on tuesday that will need strings. I may be switching to D'Addarios since that's what I have on my 7 string and they have lasted for a while.

I thought it'd be cool to have a bunch of guitars, but now I realize, it's a pain(but still cool).
i own 8 guitars and i know i haven't changed the strings on one guitar for about a year...man string lube rocks
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by chadreed32
Why change strings on all of your instruments at the same time?

Might as well get it over with.

And this makes me wonder: how many people do ZZ Top employ just to deal with the strings on Billy's 500+ guitars?
Why would you need so many guitars, unless in a big band of course. Just as a at home hobby i can only see the use for two.. to have them in different tune.
Well I got a few guitars and most of the strings havent been replaced in months, partly due to lack of money but Im too lazy to do it regularly anyway
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Frenz9
Why would you need so many guitars, unless in a big band of course. Just as a at home hobby i can only see the use for two.. to have them in different tune.

Well personally i earn enough that i can buy many guitars if i choose too...also i like drop tuning and floyd rose tremelos so i need multiple guitars
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
well.... i mean why wouldnt u enjoy doing it? every string change i do i set up special time for it and really enjoy polishing, steel wool-ing my frets, cleaning, and restringing both my guitars. i do it early sometimes just because..... maybe im weird :/
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I have about 9 guitars (including bass and acoustics) and I don't really think its a problem. You're not really abusing the shit out of the strings so they last a bit longer. And yes I definitely understand why you would want multiple instruments because my 4 acoustics are all in different tunings (dont acoustics just sound gorgeous in strange alternate tunings?)
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Frenz9

It's good to have different tonal options... like some hollowbodies, some short scale guitars, some Floyd Roses (need at least one of those for every tuning +backups if you perform live at all), some single coil, some humbuckers, some active pups, and a Sustainiac or two. Some can have kill switches, others 2-volume controls, some with piezo pups.

That said, I only have 6 electrics and 1 accoustic. The accoustic gets new strings about every 3 years (it's about a year overdue) and the others from 2 - 6 months (whenever a string breaks or when I see signs of oxidation). And I'm definitely not in a big band. And I could use lots more guitars.
I like variety. And my tastes are always changing, so the Les Paul I didn't like years ago has suddenly become more appealing, or recently, the Ibanez S series.
Guitars aren't really necessary for playing, if you bought yourself a new better guitar, you can just use your old one like a decoration, because guitars look awesome.
I try to keep my number of guitar to 2 or 3. That included both electric and acoustic. More than that my head will explode.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I can imagine owning at least ten, each for a specific purpose.

Though I only own two. And a ukelele. My other instruments aren't stringed luckily. It takes me at least two hours to clean, swap strings, and setup my 8-string alone.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
i own 6 electric and 1 acoustic. i would own a million guitars if i could. I have my eye on 3-4 more electrics but a few might leave the herd too. I will always keep my Jag and my duesenberg, everything else might stay or might go.
Well if you can't imagine having several guitars, then that's good. Means you're happy with what you got. Good for you buddy

I still have one that I didn't add to my sig yet, nor did an NGD for yet...but I'll get to it.
On top of that, I also a new bass that should arrive mid september as well...
I love owning several guitars, but I also love maintaining and setting up my guitars, it's like a whole separate interest to actually playing them, which I also love of course.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
i actually enjoy maintaining and cleaning my guitars. it is calming and peaceful, plus when you are done they look and play so beautiful.
I'm just happy with one.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Myself I have two guitars, one electric one acoustic, soon to be two electrics but between me my brother and my dad we have 13 including twelve strings and two basses, one acoustic one electric. Damn it's good.
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
I have 5 electrics, 1 acousitc and 1 bass when I gig regularly I need a new set of strings every other nite. My acoustic has 2 yr old set on it( I'm not a huge acoustic guy). My bass is a 5 string and rarely gets used and the strings are over a yr old on that.

Locking tuners are nice and fast, I can change the strings on my PRS faster than any of my hardtail guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by thfc1799
14!!! Surely half of those don't even get played right? I can't imagine ever really needing more than 4 or 5... On the other hand, that is pretty sweet

Well I barely play my first guitar ever anymore, but the others all get their share of playtime =)
I have to buy my strings in bulk now though, because having a few packs of strings at a time was getting expensive. 70 bucks for 25 packs, that's what I'm talking about!