So I've decided I need more gain out of my dual terror. It's got a great distortion, but it's just not heavy enough. Should I got a boost like a tube screamer, or just go with a Boss Metal zone or Metal muff or something over a clean channel?
Depends what kind of distortion you want, if you're a fan of the dual terror's distortion you can just boost it with a TS9 or something similar.
If you want something heavier, check out the Hardwire TL-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwc0MY3lM8
It sounds better in person.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
For your sake I hope you don't only play metal because then the decision to go with Orange was not a wise one. Orange is a fantastic amp for that classic british crunch up through heavier modern tones but they don't do metal very well. If you just need the boost then I agree you go with the TS9 or equivalent. You can also look into the Fulltone OCD which I use as a boost - it's fantastic. Please please please don't go near the Boss Metal Zone...from what I recall it sounds tinny and lifeless and would completely put your amp's natural tone to waste.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
any distorsion pedal oçn the clean channel isn't worth it. they all sound fuzzy and take away teh warmth of your tubes, thus the reason why you play a tube amp.
i'd go with a tube screamer and i would look up the gear of architects cause if i recall well they played with orange and have an extremely aggressive tight gain sound
Quote by AEnesidem
any distorsion pedal oçn the clean channel isn't worth it. they all sound fuzzy and take away teh warmth of your tubes, thus the reason why you play a tube amp.
i'd go with a tube screamer and i would look up the gear of architects cause if i recall well they played with orange and have an extremely aggressive tight gain sound

But they are also using Rocker-verb's not the Dual terror.

The Dark Terror would do you better, or even a TH30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Take a look at the ibanez jet drive true bypass and it sounds like a Ts-9 with more ball's with mid and high controls. It's the 4 knob in the pic.....I'll get a better pic and a gut shot in a bit
Quote by SoapboxFrank
So I've decided I need more gain out of my dual terror. It's got a great distortion, but it's just not heavy enough. Should I got a boost like a tube screamer, or just go with a Boss Metal zone or Metal muff or something over a clean channel?

a boost or OD in the front will help a bit to get more gain. you may run into the problem that the power tubes (EL84's) have a real good "pushed" sound but really don't have as crisp of an attack and don't have the headroom you'll want for more aggressive forms of metal tone.

Quote by rockxwl
For your sake I hope you don't only play metal because then the decision to go with Orange was not a wise one. Orange is a fantastic amp for that classic british crunch up through heavier modern tones but they don't do metal very well.

this is my orange (OR50H) doing a horrible cover of 'end of heartache'

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play846382

i thought it did pretty good, just used my ash strat plugged directly into the amp and going to my 2x12.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by rockxwl
For your sake I hope you don't only play metal because then the decision to go with Orange was not a wise one. Orange is a fantastic amp for that classic british crunch up through heavier modern tones but they don't do metal very well. If you just need the boost then I agree you go with the TS9 or equivalent. You can also look into the Fulltone OCD which I use as a boost - it's fantastic. Please please please don't go near the Boss Metal Zone...from what I recall it sounds tinny and lifeless and would completely put your amp's natural tone to waste.

I don't really play metal at all. I play rock n' roll and punk like the Ramones and The Sex Pistols which it's great for, but I'm in a Melodic Hardcore band (Like Rise Against and Bad Religion) It needs a bit more kick to it. I like the metal muff, but I'm just not sure what I should get. I need something to highlight palm mutes too.
No, don't try to stick an mt-2 in front of it. It'll just sound like a can of bees. You can use a tube screamer in front of the amp to add more tightness and gain to your amps distortion.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by gumbilicious

this is my orange (OR50H) doing a horrible cover of 'end of heartache'

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play846382

i thought it did pretty good, just used my ash strat plugged directly into the amp and going to my 2x12.

Quite a good job of it, didnt expect it from an OR50.

The TH30 is probably a bit better for modern metal. The dark terror is similar i hear.
Quote by beckyjc
Quite a good job of it, didnt expect it from an OR50.

it would have sound better, but that was from my days where i wasn't so experienced with recording (in that particular song, i never adjusted my tracks from the latency when recording).

the OR50H has more gain on tap than i really use, but i hear the TH series is a bit more aggressive. our local store doesn't carry any of the TH series though so i haven't even been able to try one out.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If you want a good value overdrive stompbox look into a digitech bad monkey. I don't know too much about stomp boxes all I know is bad money's are great value and hold their own against the Ibanez Tube Screamer xD
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by beckyjc
Id prolly get an EQ, tone controls are lame. As well as an OD.

Or better yet try find an OD with a 3 band EQ.

Given the TT's lack of a 3-band EQ something like a Silverkiss would be a good idea.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
idk what you're talking about when you say orange isn't for metal, they're great for metal. just stick a tubesceamer or something similar in front and you're set. boosted drive channels almost always sound better than clean channels with distortion pedals, at least in my experience.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby