Cranking a tube amp! I'm pretty sure Hendrix mainly used Marshall but might have to google that one
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Probably some vintage Marshall, power amp gain way up. Single coils help a lot in getting that chimey sound.

Quote by RajjaJroach
K, but is there away to get that sort of tone from a pedal without a tube amp?

No, but you can probably get close with a cheap tube amp.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 24, 2011,
Have a look at a few overdrive pedals, use a low setting to just break up the clean channel of an amp
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
i find turning down the guitar volume whilst on the lead channel helps get that sorta sound
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RajjaJroach
K, but is there away to get that sort of tone from a pedal without a tube amp?

feck no.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Ah thanks guys, so what overdrive pedals would work for just breaking it up on a low setting?
an overdrive thru a solid state amp won't get you that sound. that is power section breakup and solid states just plain can't do that. even with a tube amp it has to be cranked up to the point where that occurs. with a tube amp you can crank the volume all the way up and use your gain knob as a master volume this will get you closer at volume levels that won't invite a police raid.