Evening all, I'm looking for a little advice as my tube knowledge is minimal. Hopefully in the next little while I'll have the opportunity to replace the tired old Sovtek 5881 power valves in my Crate BV120 and after a bit of looking I've found matched quads of both JJ and Tung Sol valves for similar money. I was just wondering if anyone could offer some insight into the difference I could expect from each of these valves?
Thanks in advance
I just put JJ's in my Fender Twin and couldn't be happier. As far as sound differences, not real sure but I think Tung Sol's are generally regarded as a more durable tube.
Quote by Waylanderau
Evening all, I'm looking for a little advice as my tube knowledge is minimal. Hopefully in the next little while I'll have the opportunity to replace the tired old Sovtek 5881 power valves in my Crate BV120 and after a bit of looking I've found matched quads of both JJ and Tung Sol valves for similar money. I was just wondering if anyone could offer some insight into the difference I could expect from each of these valves?
Thanks in advance

I'm no tube expert myself but I've done my homework for a few retubings, and Doug from Dougstubes.com has always sung the praises of the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's every time. What kind of genres do you play?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

SWilson>> I'm gonna get them put in by a tech and have him bias it properly, so that side of things is covered.

VTK>> Metal for the most part, tone wise I go for a Children Of Bodomish sound. The only thing I'd really like from my new tubes is maybe a bit more tightness in the low end, although if they were a bit brighter that wouldn't be a bad thing
Jj. If you can't afford SED then it's JJ every time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 24, 2011,
Nice guitar by the way, Waylanderau.

I would shoot Doug an email if I were you. Many UGers swear by his expertise and I've always been pleased with the tubes he's recommended me, he really know his stuff.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Those Rubies are Chinese Shuguangs. They are ok but hardly competition for a JJ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
More gain and a brighter sound, I'd go with Tung Sols. I've never liked JJs, they always sound a tad dark to me.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I've never played JJs so I can't say, but Cathbard you say Chinese as if that is indicative of why they suck while JJ's are made in eastern Europe, which is not exactly known for their stellar manufacturing practices or export quality either... Just a logic check.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

JJ are made in an old Slovakian factory that dates back to the good ol' days of tube manufacture. There is nothing at all wrong with JJ's practices whatsoever. We all know what Shuguangs are like and we know what JJ's are like. It has nothing to do with where they are made. Shuguangs are a cheap valve and JJ are a higher end valve. End of story.

Kitty, we are talking about 6L6's, not 12AX7's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a set of Tung Sol 5881 reissues (short bottle) in my SV and they are great tubes. Very raw and grainy, I really like them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
JJ all the way.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
JJ is a solid tube, but I'm a big fan of TungSol short bottle 6L6GC's. they're thick and creamy without the harshness in the top end. it looks cool and it can fit anywhere too. haha!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by VanTheKraut
Nice guitar by the way, Waylanderau

Thanks bro, it is pretty awesome. Once I replace the pickups it should be perfect.

Thanks for the advice everyone, seems JJs are the go. Which is cool because they're $10 cheaper than the Tung Sols ;-)
Quote by Cathbard
Kitty, we are talking about 6L6's, not 12AX7's.

Yeah I know, the gain part is not so correct - it kinda popped out. However, I do find Tung Sol's power tubes to be a tad brighter than JJs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.