Buying new computer to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. But help, I'm a noob.

Page 1 of 2
Hello! I'm going to buy a new computer. (Partly because my old computer is worn out, and parts of it fixed with tape. But mostly because I want to play this game)

Problem is, I have no knowledge about computers.
Could anyone help me, by giving a hint of how much it would cost, or possibly what is needed of the computer?

And please don't refer me to the gaming thread or something, I doubt I would get much replies there.

EDIT: Here's a link to their website.
http://www.swtor.com/
Last edited by Oyface at Jul 24, 2011,
You will need:

A computer case
Motherboard
CPU
Hard Drive
RAM
Video Card
PSU
An OS
A DVD drive

A machine built around AMD quad-core will cost you from $400-$800 without the monitor depending on how expensive the parts you choose
Quote by metaldud536
You will need:

A computer case
Motherboard
CPU
Hard Drive
RAM
Video Card
PSU
An OS
A DVD drive

A machine built around AMD quad-core will cost you from $400-$800 without the monitor depending on how expensive the parts you choose

Thanks, but I would rather buy a computer without having to set it up myself.

EDIT: But thanks a lot for the price! Now I'll have a "guideline".
1)Go to computer store.
2)Get game
3)See computer requirements on game box
4)????????
5)Profit!
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Oyface
Thanks, but I would rather buy a computer without having to set it up myself.

EDIT: But thanks a lot for the price! Now I'll have a "guideline".

Aww but it's cheaper to build and more fun

Thing is if you buy a pre-built from like Dell or something you're more than likely have to buy a video card and possibly replace the PSU
Quote by doomded
1)Go to computer store.
2)Get game
3)See computer requirements on game box
4)????????
5)Profit!

Problem is, the game isn't out yet.

EDIT:

Quote by metaldud536
Aww but it's cheaper to build and more fun

Thing is if you buy a pre-built from like Dell or something you're more than likely have to buy a video card and possibly replace the PSU

But I don't ave any knowledge whatsoever about computers.

I wouldn't be able to build it myself.
Main reason why I asked here, is because down at the stores, they're just like "Yeah, this computer will do. It's a great computer, and it's cheap! Perfect for that movie you .. wait, a game? Oh. It works for that too!"

They're not honest, they just want to sell.
Quote by Oyface
Problem is, the game isn't out yet.

EDIT:

I wouldn't be able to build it myself.
Main reason why I asked here, is because down at the stores, they're just like "Yeah, this computer will do. It's a great computer, and it's cheap! Perfect for that movie you .. wait, a game? Oh. It works for that too!"

They're not honest, they just want to sell.

Alright, then you should link me to whatever websites you might buy one off depending on your location
SWTOR isn't out yet how are you doing this?

I'm still waiting to be invited to beta
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
From the Bioware SWTOR website:

I am interested in pre-ordering Star Wars: The Old Republic but do not know if my PC can support it. What are the minimum system requirements needed to run the Game?

Processor:

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
* Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

* Windows XP or later

RAM:

* Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
* Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
* Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Video Card:

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

* ATI X1800 or better
* nVidia 7800 or better
* Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive - 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only)

Internet connection required to play.

So there ya go. Try to find a computer with those specs or better. Chances are you'll need a new video card, though. The cards that come with computers are crap.

I just hope it's not WoW in space.
Last edited by stoic at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by metaldud536
Alright, then you should link me to whatever websites you might buy one off depending on your location

They're all in Norwegian though.

http://www.elkjop.no/
http://www.expert.no/StartPage/StartPage.aspx?cookie_test=true

Quote by izbbass
SWTOR isn't out yet how are you doing this?

I'm still waiting to be invited to beta

It's out for pre-ordering now. They still haven't set a release date though.
Is it going to be free to play?
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by stoic
From the Bioware website:

I am interested in pre-ordering Star Wars: The Old Republic but do not know if my PC can support it. What are the minimum system requirements needed to run the Game?

Processor:

Operating System:

* Windows XP or later

RAM:

* Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Video Card:

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

* ATI X1800 or better
* nVidia 7800 or better

DVD-ROM drive - 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only)

So there ya go. Try to find a computer with those specs or better. Chances are you'll need a new video card, though.

Wow, thanks

How did I not find that?
Quote by Oyface
No.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by stoic
From the Bioware SWTOR website:

Processor:

Operating System:

* Windows XP or later

RAM:

Video Card:

* ATI X1800 or better
* nVidia 7800 or better

So there ya go. Try to find a computer with those specs or better. Chances are you'll need a new video card, though. The cards that come with computers are crap.

So, anyone have an idea what a pc like this would cost?
Well, did you want it to be a desktop or a laptop? A desktop like that would be fairly cheap, but you should probably up those specs a bit, as more is better.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Oyface
They're all in Norwegian though.

http://www.elkjop.no/
http://www.expert.no/StartPage/StartPage.aspx?cookie_test=true

It's out for pre-ordering now. They still haven't set a release date though.

I can't help you much then, but here's what I can tell you

A quad-core if more than enough to run it and it will last you longer than a dual core.

You will need to a buy a seperate video card. Buying a pre-built pc with a video card already included will be more expensive than it's worth (but hey if you can afford it, why not?). Integrated cards suck. Buy a video card even if it has integrated graphics.

4GB of RAM is the minimum nowadays.

When you buy the pc, open it up and check the maximum amount of wattage the power supply can put out. If it's under 400 watts you might need to replace it because newer video cards are power hungry. And you will also need to check the amount of amps it puts out on the +12v rail.
Quote by muffinduck01
Well, did you want it to be a desktop or a laptop? A desktop like that would be fairly cheap, but you should probably up those specs a bit, as more is better.

I would prefer a laptop. And I would prefer it to be better than the absolute minimum requirements for the game.
Quote by metaldud536
Actually I can translate the web pages so I'll take a look

Ok.

And thanks for the advice!
I found this, which should be able to run the game, and do a bit more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220899

EDIT: Or there's this, which has slightly better specs, and is cheaper, but the battery life is about 4 hours where the other is 10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214190
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Last edited by muffinduck01 at Jul 24, 2011,
Quote by muffinduck01
I found this, which should be able to run the game, and do a bit more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220899

EDIT: Or there's this, which has slightly better specs, and is cheaper, but the battery life is about 4 hours where the other is 10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214190

Battery life won't really matter, as I only use computers when I have electricity

And thanks, I will check them out.
Quote by izbbass
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Pay to play is most likely. That or they're doing month chunks in a bundle that you can buy - speculation though.

An average PC will run it fine, Desktops are cheaper and offer more power for less cash. All laptops are shit unless you drop large amounts of cash into them - which just means they become shit after a year instead of already being shit when you buy them.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Don't buy a premade one. And you don't have to build it yourself. I dunno about how it's where you live, but here at least the small/medium size computer stores let you pick the parts you want in a PC, they get them for you and build it up for you and the fee is minimal. Or at least it was when I bought this old piece of junk.
Quote by Oyface
And please don't refer me to the gaming thread or something, I doubt I would get much replies there.

Yeah, it's because you have to have a special invite from one of the cool members to be accepted there, or everyone will just ignore your posts or mock you.
omfg you sad star wars loser. go back to your basement you silly computer nerd.

every1 hu has a mind nos that lord of the rings is wa better!

CHUK NORRIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111
Quote by carnagereap666
Chuck Norris is a mockery. Who's just trying to copy Steven Seagal. You are a lot like Chuck Norris, a poser and an asshole. kthxbai

n'aawwwww you is butthurt

I think you can get home built computers on ebay. They're usually more expensive than building it yourself but still cheaper than buying factory machines from manufacturers.

Is there anything more to building a computer besides just plugging in the parts and installing the drivers?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
I think you can get home built computers on ebay. They're usually more expensive than building it yourself but still cheaper than buying factory machines from manufacturers.

Is there anything more to building a computer besides just plugging in the parts and installing the drivers?

Putting an OS on it, but that's pretty much it.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Oyface

Neither did I have any experience with building and yet I built a powerhouse and proud it stands on my desk.

A grand offer if you want to build it yourself. I would have been really happy had it been here when I was buying mine.
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=620613

This one is prebuilt by Komplett.no -- it might just serve your needs. The gfx card seem to run Crysis 2 at 50-60, which seems nice.
http://www.komplett.no/k/ci.aspx?sku=10481
Benchmark: nVidia GTX 550ti

This one is a bit below, but should run Crysis 2 at reasonable speed (40 at least).
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=638022

Stay the hell away from mac, they would charge you at least twice for the same level of performance.

(Crysis (2) is the computer e-penis measurement tool, if it runs well on that poorly optimized game, it will run whatever you throw at it for now)

Quote by rgrockr

Finding every little jumper's appropriate spot on the motherboard and wiring effectively is the hardest part for me atleast, but by using the manual, it isn't that hard.
(Jumpers are what connects the USB ports and all that from the front of your computer's case to the motherboard)

Also, finding fitting parts is a bit hard, but there are plenty of forums and subforums dedicated to helping with that.
Last edited by GisleAune at Jul 24, 2011,
Buy a decent laptop/desktop (bærbar/stasjonær). You can find these at 7000-8000 N.Kr on Komplett.no, elkjøp, etc.

No need to build your own if you aren't really that tech savvy.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Thanks everyone! I forgot about komplett.no.

I would prefer to buy from a norwegian store. I will have a look.
You'll get a better pc for cheaper if you build it yourself. There's some fairly cheap parts out there that'll do the job if your not planning on making things godly. Browse around on newegg and look at the shell shocker deals.
"You don't need any hairspray, Clarence... You don't have any hair."

'Ave atque vale'
I shall rise again, Bardo of the flesh
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=635242#extra
What do you think about this one?

EDIT:
Quote by TheAndrewSHug
You'll get a better pc for cheaper if you build it yourself. There's some fairly cheap parts out there that'll do the job if your not planning on making things godly. Browse around on newegg and look at the shell shocker deals.

As I said earlier, I have absolutely no knowledge about computers. I only know how to use them.
Page 1 of 2