Ok, you all must think, this guy is crazy, he's changing from MAC to PC...

And yes, it's a shame, I would totally love to make my DAW a MAC PRO but sadly i'm on a budget, and I live on CHILE...

Living on Xhile makes all things of MAC being EXTREMLY expensive, and sadly I can't bring a desktop MAC fro U.S without being charged huge taxes + the shipment.

THE difference between a build PC, and a MAC is really HUGE. Right now I'm typing from a MacBook pro, I love it, but I do need an exclusive DAW, and don't have the money of a MacPro

After this introduction, I must say I don't know ANYTHING about building a PC. In the office I work (sadly I can't win money doing music so far) We have a guy who is an Informatic Engineer, that would BUILD, and buy all the things for me... The thing is I have to give them the SPECS of it

So far I have decided that I want a superpowerfull processor (Intel i7 2600)
Lot's of rams (minimum 6GB i think)
Ports for Firewire (my AI it's a M-audio ProFire 610, also the bassist have an USB AI)
Ports for USB ofcourse (I would love to have a USB 3.0 just for the future could be nice)
A Hard Disc of 500 GB of 7200 RPM
And that's it... haha...

I know I need a Motherboard, I need a Cooling system, e I need a Video Graphic Card
I also know that my friend (the informatic engineer) would help me with that, and would buy everything i need to have a powerfull PC.
But I think it's better to ask to a forum of people who know's about this. I know he is an awesome professional on Computers, but he had never made anything especial for a PC especial for Sound...

This would be my first PC as an exclusive DAW, since 1 year I have been recording demo's with my band on the bassist house, he has a great homestudio, and I also want that, last months I have been recording with my macbookpro, but it's not enough... I'm an experienced musician have Rokit6 as monitors, 4 guitars, 2 bass midicontroller, 2 condenser mics, etc... right at my side. I do have a "homestudio" at my house. But this is the step of buying a dedicated Desktop for it. Any help would be apreciated of what things do i exclusive need!

Last but not least, my budget is max 900 US. (I CAN'T BUY A MAC HERE ARE THE DOUBLE/TRIPLE OF US PRICES ha) And i'm buying all on THURSDAY (3 days from today)

Pic of my current setup...

Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
i just built one in may it cost me a bout $700 to build I bought an antec tower case ibought an asus m4a88td-v evo/usb3.0 motherboard, amd Phenom II x4 955 processor 3.2 Ghz, 8.00 GB RAM, master cooler hyper 212 plus cooling fan, Caviar Black terabyte hard drive seagate, I think, and an asus dvd-rw drive forget the specs. This wasnt expensive took about an hour to put together and I can run crazy plugins and midi so far without any problems. Not a pro spec setup but awesome for what I do. Oh yeah you'll need an interface or pro audio souncard I use m-audio interface so the stock soundcard is what I left in there.
Sweet, thanks, I do have interface! M-audio too, it broke, I'm sending it now to repair, and using one of a friend...
But, yes, that's exactly what i need I think, a powerfull PC on a budget. Thanks!
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Just build a PC but run it as a Hackintosh, search on Google for builds that work on the higher end for audio recording, and you'll be able to have your Mac, at a MUCH cheaper cost.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
My experience says that it is (as of the last couple of years or so) now cheaper to buy a system off the shelf than it is to build one. I used to build them because it was cheaper, but I don't bother anymore.

That, and basically any off-the-shelf system will do just fine for recording audio.

My band recorded our album on my old computer, which was a Celeron 1.7 Ghz, 512MB RAM, WinXP running Cubase. Each song was upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio with effects as appropriate. You can't even give away a machine like that these days.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thx axemanchris... I'm not quite sure if it's better here to buy a system off the shelf, it's really hard to find them... all the main retail stores here are just focus on selling notebooks/tablets/etc...

Can someone enlight me about the Hackintosh??? I just googled it and it means you can run MacOS in perfect conditions over a PC??? That would be fkin awesome. One HD for Widows7, Other for Snow Leopard... ¡! Is it a freeware also??
Quote by tiky
Can someone enlight me about the Hackintosh??? I just googled it and it means you can run MacOS in perfect conditions over a PC??? That would be fkin awesome. One HD for Widows7, Other for Snow Leopard... ¡! Is it a freeware also??

Not always

I'm running a hackintosh right now, works well for the most part but it's still got some issues. Basically what a hackintosh means is that you've hacked your computers bootloader to allow for OSX, and that you also have drivers installed into OSX to support your computer's hardware. Since Apple switched to Intel, making a hackintosh has become much easier, but can still have some issues depending on your hardware. A common way is called iBoot+MultiBeast, if you want to look that up, but my hardware didn't work with that so I went for iAtkos, which is essentially a hacked version of OSX. And it is technically free, but if you don't actually own OSX (which you do, since you had a mac anyways) then it's piracy obviously.

If you go for it, back up your data a lot I had some hard drive corruption where it took forever to get all my files off.
mmm, I'm not to fond on PC modifications nor weird instalations, probably it would a risk going on hackintosh after what you told me, and it seems that you wasted a LOT of time making it to work... ha.. Widows 7 + Cubase would be
Update...

So far what I know that I need is this, and this is what i sent to the email of my friend who's going to build it and give me a budget...

A great processor, Intel i7 2600 would be optimum, but really expensive...
RAM minimum 6GB, would like to have 8 and a motherboard that can updgrade in the future
2 dHD of 7200 rpm ( 500 GB)
Entry for FIREWIRE 800
Lot's of usb 2.0
Powefull Cooling system, and that does a minimun amount of noise! (silent cooling)
DVD recorder

Things I must consider:
1 usb3.0 port... (Really interesting for the future, I want this pc to last for years)
SD Card Reader

Things IDK NOTHING ABOUT: VIDEOCARDS.
My sister is studing digital desing on uni. And probably she would ask to use this PC sometimes for her university... (mmmm, that's a good idea, she could put some money on it! haha!)

How does it look???
Thx for all the replies.. now i'm a bit lost, i got the budget and this is what i got for the specs i asked for...

IT cost 1200 US (YES I'M IN FKIN CHILE, electric things are fkin expensive). I toilkd him my budget limit was 1200, I would like it to be cheaper still.. .This is what he told to me I should get.

This is what he think I should get... I know he's getting some commission for doing this, that 's why he made a budget for my limit... So.. where i'm getting more specs of what i need etc..? (that gabinet looks extremly expensive)

CPU Core i7-870 2.93 GHz Box (1156) Intel 330US
1 M/B Intel P7P55D-E A/L (1156) Asus 1 año 160 US
2 x RAM DDR3 4Gb 1333MHz PC3-10600 Corsair 1 76 US
2 HD 500Gb Sata3 7200 rpm W.Digital 86 US
1 T/PCI Firewire 1394 3port AFW-03P Advantek 7 US
1 Cooling system CPU M/Socket Frio OCK CLP0575 Thermaltake 92 US
1 Gabinet ATX Armor A90 VL90001W2Z s/F Thermaltake 120 US
1 Power Supply 600w / 12cm TR2 600W (W0388RU)Thermaltake 90 US
1 DVDRW SATA 24x Negro OEM GH24N LG 22US
1 VideoCard PCIE GF9500 GT 1024mb DDR2 Zotac 1 año 60 US
Total
983 us
+ IVA (19%)
Total
1170 Bucks...

****, now that is fkin expensive. And without Screens. mmmmmmm
I can't pay this.
If you want to save I would;

- Drop down to an i7 2.66ghz cpu (if its alot cheaper). I've never hit the limit on it yet and I run some pretty large and demanding tracks in Sonar X1. (20+ tracks, with EQs on nearly every channel, VSTs and other plugins, running all at the same time)

- Possibly get a cheaper CPU cooling fan. These high powered fans are designed for PC users who generally like to overclock there PC's above the stock levels so there for run warmer than usual. So if you plan on running things stock you can save on the fan.

- If your not to worried about USB 3.0 either. You could go for a different mother board like a MSI X58 Pro-E which would save you a little as well

Do NOT try and save on the power supply. Make sure you get a well known reliable one.
Quote by evorouge
If you want to save I would;

- Drop down to an i7 2.66ghz cpu (if its alot cheaper). I've never hit the limit on it yet and I run some pretty large and demanding tracks in Sonar X1. (20+ tracks, with EQs on nearly every channel, VSTs and other plugins, running all at the same time)

- Possibly get a cheaper CPU cooling fan. These high powered fans are designed for PC users who generally like to overclock there PC's above the stock levels so there for run warmer than usual. So if you plan on running things stock you can save on the fan.

- If your not to worried about USB 3.0 either. You could go for a different mother board like a MSI X58 Pro-E which would save you a little as well

Do NOT try and save on the power supply. Make sure you get a well known reliable one.

This a million times over.

Also, go for a sandybridge cpu, i7 2600k or i5 2500k are both fantastic, not sure about the cost in chile though.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by -Blue-
Not always

I'm running a hackintosh right now, works well for the most part but it's still got some issues. Basically what a hackintosh means is that you've hacked your computers bootloader to allow for OSX, and that you also have drivers installed into OSX to support your computer's hardware. Since Apple switched to Intel, making a hackintosh has become much easier, but can still have some issues depending on your hardware. A common way is called iBoot+MultiBeast, if you want to look that up, but my hardware didn't work with that so I went for iAtkos, which is essentially a hacked version of OSX. And it is technically free, but if you don't actually own OSX (which you do, since you had a mac anyways) then it's piracy obviously.

If you go for it, back up your data a lot I had some hard drive corruption where it took forever to get all my files off.

Not really - If you build your system using parts that are known to work well on OSX, then you shouldn't have much of problem. Plus, you'll be able to use the "upgrade" version of OSX that you buy for $30, which is actually the full version in this case, and you will "own" the software. If you do it this way, as far as the EULA goes, you're not doing anything illegal.

This setup should do you well with a Hackintosh build:

http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mac-and-install-os-x-in-eight-easy-steps
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com