I was just watching a few chili pepper videos one of which was hump de bump and decided to learn it but as i was watching the video I noticed that (well it didnt appear to me anyway) that john was using his palm to mute. I mean he is alternate picking and I have tried like hell to mute like that but as my hand moves from the strings they unmute.any input on how he maybe muting his chords?
Most funk-riffs are played by muting with the fretting hand and not the picking hand. And having played a lot of JF stuff I guess he mutes it with his left hand
ok thanks for the info im assuming to mute with fret hand i just lay a dummy finger lightly on the strings or just not apply pressure to the strings im playing until i need to correct?
Quote by gnomepunter
ok thanks for the info im assuming to mute with fret hand i just lay a dummy finger lightly on the strings or just not apply pressure to the strings im playing until i need to correct?

yep, different situations require different solutions (either of those), for example a open chord would require a dummy finger but a barre chord would be fine by jsut not applying the force, even further it would be really hard to do the muting with a dummy finger in that case