Hey guys

I've been thinking about a 7 string for a while but I don't listen to any bands who use a seven string least I don't think I do also I've also no idea how to play a seven string so can you guy maybe tell me some band to listen to and how to play. I'm just looking for something different.

P.S. Any one interested in a red ibanez s470b £250-300

Thanks
Calum
Korn pretty much pioneered a 7 string in a rock/alt metal setting, so you could listen to them. For lower tuned stuff as well, look into Meshuggah, though they use 8 strings now. Deftones post Around The Fur started using 7 strings, but jumped to 8 for Self Titled and Diamond Eyes. For more progressive stuff, Animals As Leaders has some great use of the lower registers on detuned guitars. Dream Theater is another group that use 7 strings really well. Fear Factory's early stuff is another example.

As far as 'how to play a 7 string,' it's more about how you use the extra string, and is really open to personal interpretation. I used to tune it to standard with an extra high e sometimes and just leave it for a different feel/effect on the higher strings, and have gone as low as G on a 7 string, so it's all about how you want to use the extra options that come with the lower range. I know people that've added an 8 on the top and gone higher instead of lower as well.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jul 24, 2011,
Slipknot uses 7-strings, that is, if your into that heavy metal stuff. 7 strings is the way to go if you are always tuning down below B on a 6 string. It solves the problem of string rattling.
Born of Osiris' new album The Discovery is all played on 7 strings. Pretty phenomenal guitar work if you're into metal. But as DEMON said above me, you can tune down to Drop B and transpose alot of music onto a 6 string. I've played alot of Animal As Leaders songs on my Schecter Omen-6.
Quote by AwokenDEMON
Slipknot uses 7-strings, that is, if your into that heavy metal stuff. 7 strings is the way to go if you are always tuning down below B on a 6 string. It solves the problem of string rattling.

And just to make clear: they do NOT use seven strings in Slipknot. Hell, they don't even tune in standard B. They tune in drop B and once in a while in drop A. But that's on 6-strings.

Trivium, Scar Symmetry, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, Periphery is some bands using seven strings.

But using a seven string is a personal preference. I personally use a seven string for a normal standard tuning just with a low B because I LOVE low tunings and very high notes.
LOOK!

At the post above this signature

Quote by Floods_Solo
Lol. If insomniac's were called something less cool like "cock lords" or something I bet there would be significantly less people claiming to be it.
i quite like dream theater i'll look in to the other bands can you keep it in standard and do stuff that isn't that heavy but just experimental i havent see korn doing any really crazy guitar stuff just wierd noises
Quote by Gumle
Trivium, Scar Symmetry, Dream Theater, Meshuggah, Periphery is some bands using seven strings.

Meshuggah's moved on way past 7's, my friend.
Where's Waldo?
Animals as Leaders uses 8.

Behemoth has used 7. The Famine. Soilwork. Solution .45 (I think...) even tho I'll probably get sh*t for it.... Suicide Silence.

The rest of my 7 string bands have either already been named or I'm unaware that they play 7 :P
Quote by chadreed32
Meshuggah's moved on way past 7's, my friend.

But they used them in the past. I know 8's are their favourite now.
LOOK!

At the post above this signature

Quote by Floods_Solo
Lol. If insomniac's were called something less cool like "cock lords" or something I bet there would be significantly less people claiming to be it.
Quote by Gumle
But they used them in the past. I know 8's are their favourite now.

Yeah, true, and I actually think Marten got some Custom Ibanez 9's
Where's Waldo?
Periphery, Periphery, Periphery
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by griffin888
Don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but check out Nevermore.

I guess its just general knowledge on here that everybody knows Nevermore, and How Jeff Loomis is a boss on his 7 string, so it never came to mind to post.
Where's Waldo?
Listen to Rusty Cooley! He has a solo CD, a full length and an EP with Outworld, and his new band is Day of Reckoning. All of it is done on 7s except a few songs on 8 strings. You can hear the Day of Reckoning stuff on reverbnation.com/dayofreckoning
Quote by Pac_man0123
They use 8 string guitars, but off the top of my head I can tell you that Tempting Time is played using only 7 strings.

Actually everything from their self titled is on 7's- only the single Wave of Babies touches below B

Get a 7 if you want to tune low and still be able to keep your high range/chord voicings. If you just want to hammer around on the low strings, might as well get a baritone or slap some heavy strings on a standard 25.5 guitar tbfh.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by yoman297
/thread

It's missing so many bands, including Periphery. Not end thread
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)