Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a new amp, and I already know the Peavey 6505+ combo is a total metal workhorse, but I've heard that it's pretty awful when it comes to cleans.

I don't think I could get a nicer combo amp at this price, so what do you guys honestly think of the cleans? I know it's not some fender-esque sparkly clean, but I just want to know if it'll do the trick to play a few clean things here and there, or if it really is just a waste of a channel.
The cleans are far from "awful," the people who say that are either expecting Fender cleans out of the amp, or don't know how to EQ it. With the right pickups, the cleans on the 6505+ can sound great.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Do you have any examples of these? Most clean samples I've found have been kind of meh, nothing bad, but nothing good. Also, Machine Head uses the 6505+ (Actually I think the 5150II, but you get it) for their cleans, right? if so, then I'm sure it can't be that bad
Quote by JTNorquay
Do you have any examples of these? Most clean samples I've found have been kind of meh, nothing bad, but nothing good. Also, Machine Head uses the 6505+ (Actually I think the 5150II, but you get it) for their cleans, right? if so, then I'm sure it can't be that bad

what are you looking for clean wise? the 6505+ isnt known for it's great clean sound but that doesn't mean you can't get a serviceable sound from it.
Quote by JTNorquay

Just search "Peavey 6505+ Clean" on YouTube and you could probably find a few good ones. I don't think I ever made clips with mine when I had it (I have a 5150 now), but with my PRS CE-22 on the Dragon II neck pickups, it was one of my favorite clean sounds I've ever gotten - And I generally dislike the neck pickup for cleans
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Not to divert the thread, but it appears you're looking for an amp that does both High gain metal and nice cleans. I'd point you in the direction of the B52 AT series. Modern American (like the 6505) high gain voicing with stellar cleans. There's an abundance of YouTube videos showcasing both. That's why I bought mine. Plus it's significantly cheaper than the Peavey. I don't normally try to sell people on my amp, but in this case I think it's what you're looking for.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Problem with the 6505+ isn't that the cleans are really THAT bad....but you have to share the gain/EQ settings with the crunch setting on the amp.

IF you never use the crunch setting, the cleans will be OK. but getting a good crunch tone AND clean tone on that amp is a good bit of a chore.

Better to look for something that has a dedicated clean channel. LOTS of amps out there with separate cleans, crunch, lead channels.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by MatrixClaw
And I generally dislike the neck pickup for cleans

I love switching to my neck pup, and picking up on the fretboars near the 14th fret even. Sooooo glassy/chimey.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I used to think they weren't all that great either, but then I tested this theory during a recent trip to Guitar Center (with the head version though).

Boy, was I ever wrong

Like Matrix said, it's not exactly Fender-esque but definitely usable (and this is coming from a guy who likes having pristine clean tones). Just set the rhythm channel mode to clean and turn the pre-gain way way down (about 7:00-7:30 was where I had it).

Granted, the guitar I was using at the time- a humbucker-equipped Telecaster Deluxe- didn't have a ton of output (yet I was still able to obtain br00tz on the lead channel with the bridge pup)- so I have yet to try this with a guitar that's loaded with EMGs or high output passives.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Quote by MatrixClaw
The cleans are far from "awful," the people who say that are either expecting Fender cleans out of the amp, or don't know how to EQ it. With the right pickups, the cleans on the 6505+ can sound great.

I don't like what you're implying here. I don't like the cleans at all on that amp and none of what you said describes me. The cleans aren't for everyone.. OP, just try it out before you buy to make sure you aren't one of those people.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1

They're not Fender cleans...but they're not awful either. Keep the gain low and the master volume up, etc. I can get a decent enough clean sound out of my 6505+. they aren't as good as the clean channel on my XXX, but honestly they're not as bad as people make them out to be.
Quote by 3074326
I don't like what you're implying here. I don't like the cleans at all on that amp and none of what you said describes me. The cleans aren't for everyone.. OP, just try it out before you buy to make sure you aren't one of those people.

Ok... but are you saying they're awful?

The cleans on my 6505+ were much better than the Single Recto I traded for it (which you have) IMO. I didn't say everyone would like the general tone of them, but saying that the cleans they put out are awful is just plain dumb.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr

I love switching to my neck pup, and picking up on the fretboars near the 14th fret even. Sooooo glassy/chimey.

I always get weird looks when I tell people I don't like the cleans on neck pickups. I've been warming up to them lately, but I still prefer a split bridge pickup for the most part. I like my cleans pretty bright, so the shared EQ on the "crunch channel" of the 6505+ doesn't make a difference to me - I pretty much EQ it the same as I would for the Crunch setting
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I played one at GC the other day and can say the cleans are amazing.
The people who told you the cleans were horrible either have never played the thing in their life, or they have no idea how to EQ an amp, Or they have no ears for anything but fenders.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Ok... but are you saying they're awful?

The cleans on my 6505+ were much better than the Single Recto I traded for it (which you have) IMO. I didn't say everyone would like the general tone of them, but saying that the cleans they put out are awful is just plain dumb.

I always get weird looks when I tell people I don't like the cleans on neck pickups. I've been warming up to them lately, but I still prefer a split bridge pickup for the most part. I like my cleans pretty bright, so the shared EQ on the "crunch channel" of the 6505+ doesn't make a difference to me - I pretty much EQ it the same as I would for the Crunch setting

I said I didn't like them. It's an opinion thing. I think your opinion that the 5150's cleans are better than a Rectifier's is ridiculous, but it's your opinion so that's all that matters. I'm not going to argue if it's better or not. I told the OP to try it out if possible, because the 5150 and its variations do have bad cleans to lots of people. That doesn't mean those people are incompetent, it just means they have a different opinion than what seems to be the majority of UG.

What didn't you like about the Recto's cleans, out of curiosity?
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Jul 24, 2011,
I've had first hand experience with a 5150's clean channel.

It was pretty bad. I didn't like it at all. I tried to add a bit of breakup to it and the way it responded was terrible. Very muddy and flat.
Maybe you should look at the XXX as well. I liked its cleans more when I played one right next to the 5150.

I would totally get the 5150 though, but thats because my main concern is a kickass death metal tone.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
5150 clean channel =/= 6505+ clean channel, people.

Quote by 3074326
I said I didn't like them. It's an opinion thing.

Yes, but my point was that you didn't say they're awful, thus what I said before your post does not apply to you. I can respect that you just don't dig the tone of them, but people seem to just throw out the word "awful" with "cleans" on these amps, and more than half of them seem to be just jumping on the bandwagon, I'm all for opinions, when the person can actually make an educated opinion and argument.

Quote by 3074326
I think your opinion that the 5150's cleans are better than a Rectifier's is ridiculous, but it's your opinion so that's all that matters.

I didn't say my 5150's cleans were better, I said the 6505+'s cleans I used to have were better.

I really wish I would've made clips with that amp. I really don't see how people have such a hard time getting nice cleans out of them.

Quote by 3074326
What didn't you like about the Recto's cleans, out of curiosity?

They are stale, lifeless and boring, just like the Mark IV's. Give me a little grit and some more character and I'll take it any day over the pristine, sterile cleans of either of those amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw

Yes, but my point was that you didn't say they're awful, thus what I said before your post does not apply to you. I can respect that you just don't dig the tone of them, but people seem to just throw out the word "awful" with "cleans" on these amps, and more than half of them seem to be just jumping on the bandwagon, I'm all for opinions, when the person can actually make an educated opinion and argument.

Fair enough.

I didn't say my 5150's cleans were better, I said the 6505+'s cleans I used to have were better.

I really wish I would've made clips with that amp. I really don't see how people have such a hard time getting nice cleans out of them.

I'm not a fan of any of the series' cleans. They have improved for sure.. I'm just not a big fan. I do think it's a fantastic amp, I just think they could do a little more with the cleans. I've tweaked and tweaked.. just wasn't anything better than decent, and I need more than that.

They are stale, lifeless and boring, just like the Mark IV's. Give me a little grit and some more character and I'll take it any day over the pristine, sterile cleans of either of those amps.

Rectos have a "Pushed" option on the cleans that gives it plenty of dirt and character. The clean channel is super versatile, you can certainly get pristine cleans, as well as sterile ones.. but also some beautiful, chimey cleans (mid is the key on the Recto cleans) and some nice breakup with the 50 watt Single. That's part of the reason I bought it.

Each to his own though. We're both happy with what we have. That's all that matters.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
I'm not a fan of any of the series' cleans. They have improved for sure.. I'm just not a big fan. I do think it's a fantastic amp, I just think they could do a little more with the cleans. I've tweaked and tweaked.. just wasn't anything better than decent, and I need more than that.

Oh, for sure - There's definitely room for improvement, and I'm not saying the 6505+'s cleans are the end-all-be-all by any means, but it just gets on my nerves when I see people throwing around the same phrases that may have applied to the 5150's cleans, but don't to the newer versions.

I've heard the EL-34 version of the 6505+ has greatly improved cleans, though - But I've not tried it... don't get me wrong, I love EL-34s and in most cases I prefer them... but why I'd want EL-34s in a 6505+, I have no idea

If versatility was key, but with the brutality and tonal characteristics of the 5150, I'd just get a 5150 III. The cleans on that amp are fantastic.

Quote by 3074326
Rectos have a "Pushed" option on the cleans that gives it plenty of dirt and character. The clean channel is super versatile, you can certainly get pristine cleans, as well as sterile ones.. but also some beautiful, chimey cleans (mid is the key on the Recto cleans) and some nice breakup with the 50 watt Single. That's part of the reason I bought it.

Each to his own though. We're both happy with what we have. That's all that matters.

Ah, I wasn't meaning I prefer dirty cleans, just that I'd prefer the dirty cleans of a 5150 (not a 6505+) to the cleans of the Single Recto, they are just too ice-picky for me (and I like really bright cleans)

I dunno, I just wasn't overly impressed with my Single, it was super loose and just overall underwhelming for my tastes. That and I'm probably just bitter and picky about Mesa guitar amps in general now. Having owned pretty much all of them, the only one I'd buy again is a 2 channel dual/triple (or a Mark V if they SIGNIFICANTLY lowered the price)
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 25, 2011,
i own the amp and the cleans are actually pretty good, yea they aren't fender cleans but its not like thats what they were going for. honestly i think it sounds great.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by JTNorquay